Denver area

Reads 1657 • Replies 18 • Started Friday, August 4, 2017 11:07:08 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Ratman197
beers 24790 º places 200 º 09:18 Tue 8/8/2017

12 Degree has some of the worst over priced Belgian style ales in the area.

Originally posted by TAR
I hate to sound like a tired cynic, because that’s just not who I am. That said, I do feel that it’s important to speak up when charlatan, faux-artisan breweries like Crooked Stave or TRVE are mentioned (not that Avery or GD are of better quality, but at least they aren’t trying quite so hard to adopt an unattainable identity). Again, sorry, but the state of Colorado generally lacks heartfulness and authenticity when it comes to beer, and supporting these types of breweries only perpetuates this elitist mentality that these breweries promote. Anyways, just my two cents.

Have a fun trip and maybe get out to Twelve Degree (35 minutes away) if possible and enjoy some top-tier Belgian-style ales in Louisville. As for Denver, other than Vine Street Pub, I’ve never had much luck in the city for beer or a place with warm ambience. Bierstadt Lagerhaus supposedly is brewing some decent lagers that aren’t Americanized, so maybe that’s worth a visit?

Cheers!

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 09:29 Tue 8/8/2017

+1 for the 12 Degree recommendation, especially if you have interests in old world Belgian styles. You won’t find much authenticity in the expensive bacteria beer "artisan" breweries like CS and TRVE, TAR is right about that.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 09:47 Tue 8/8/2017

So happy to see others share my opinion of Trve.

SR
places 4 º 09:50 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by Strykzone
Didn’t see when you were coming. Denver hosts the Great America Beer Fest from Oct. 5 - 7. Tickets might be very hard to come by but there will be a LOT of activities besides the festival. But if you are in town and happen to score tickets I would absolutely recommend you going.

Not for GABF. Also I know it has become impossible to attend, I was there 10 years ago

SR
places 4 º 09:52 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by leedw94
Do note that Crooked Stave beers can be expensive.
Can go up to 35 bucks per bomber

Briefly: I do not like Crooked Stave and want to try something I do not know :)

SR
places 4 º 09:55 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by 3fourths
+1 for the 12 Degree recommendation, especially if you have interests in old world Belgian styles. You won’t find much authenticity in the expensive bacteria beer "artisan" breweries like CS and TRVE, TAR is right about that.

12 Degree is a useful suggestion while I am not sure to be able to visit Lousville. Its so difficult to find breweries doing good Belgians, also in Europe, also in Belgium...

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 09:57 Tue 8/8/2017

I’d recommend searching for Outer Range brewing (out of Frisco) while in Denver, they have some taps in the metro now. Their focus is Belgian styles and "non-traditional IPA" for lack of a better term.

Bierstadt is making the best lager in town IMO, highly recommend over Prost both for quality and setting.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 10:02 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by SR
Originally posted by 3fourths

12 Degree is a useful suggestion while I am not sure to be able to visit Lousville. Its so difficult to find breweries doing good Belgians, also in Europe, also in Belgium...

Bruz is closer in Denver, they also attempt serious takes on Belgian styles. I don’t know their stuff well but the few i tried showed promise.

The rest of them, it depends on what you like at the moment. When visiting a new town I survey the tap lists of all the "ordinary" breweries for interesting standouts: single hop beers, noble-hopped lager, unadulterated Saison, malty dark lager, and decide where to go based on those few beers of interest.