Luxembourg tick, with very little time

Reads 1224 • Replies 11 • Started Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:14:00 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GTAEgeek
beers 5672 º places 553 º 16:14 Wed 8/2/2017

I’ll be transfering trains in Luxembourg this fall. I’d like to tick a Luxembourg place and beer while I’m there. I only have a little over an hour, though. My best idea is to run down the street to the Cactus supermarket, and grab a bottle of something.

Any better ideas? Is there a place for a good beer inside the station or something? Is there a good beer shop very close to the train station?

What’s the best Luxembourg beer that’s readily available in grocery stores?

Thanks!

olsvammel
beers 8504 º places 177 º 16:57 Wed 8/2/2017

I travel to Luxembourg once a year (had to skip this years trip). How much time do you have? Crossfire Bar, is a short walk from the train station, it’s a small scandinavian sports bar that usually have some new luxembourg beers available. I’ve stayed at the Mercur hotel on the other side of the street from the train station, they should have some beer if I remember correctly, but probably just the regular industrial lagers. If you have some extra time, the best place in town is Liquid Bar, but it’s quite a walk from the trainstation and can be hard to find since it’s down in the ravine. But there is an elevator you can take and then you end up very close to it.

The best beers I’ve had are some from Nowhere, Battin and Wäissen. But tbh I haven’t had any great beers in Luxembourg.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 17:27 Wed 8/2/2017

This won’t help you with the place tick but if your plans somehow don’t work out before you make it back to the U.S. look for Bofferding. Not sure how far they distribute but we do get them here in Wisconsin.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15129 º places 448 º 17:44 Wed 8/2/2017

The Cactus should have all the regular Luxembourg beers (Mousel, Diekirch, Simon, Bofferding) so that would be the best choice if you want to buy several different beers to take with you, but no, there will most likely not be any great (Luxembourg) beers there.

GTAEgeek
beers 5672 º places 553 º 09:26 Thu 8/3/2017

Thanks! I wasn’t counting on great beer, just a new country tick.

I’ve only got about 40 minutes, so this will be a quick sprint out and grab a bottle, nothing too involved.

Thanks, Drake! It doesn’t look like they’ve made it anywhere stateside except Wisconsin, from what little I could find. If my whole plan falls apart, I might be asking you for a trade ...

stevoj
beers 16250 º places 1245 º 09:52 Thu 8/3/2017

Only a few Luxembourg ticks, but I concur with olsvammel, Battin was my favorite. When in the store, try not to get distracted by the selection of great, cheap Belgian beers....

GTAEgeek
beers 5672 º places 553 º 11:10 Thu 8/3/2017

Originally posted by stevoj
Only a few Luxembourg ticks, but I concur with olsvammel, Battin was my favorite. When in the store, try not to get distracted by the selection of great, cheap Belgian beers....

Yeah. Brussels is after this in my trip, so I’ll have to be very focused.

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1569 º places 1912 º 16:43 Thu 8/3/2017

I recall there being a Supermarket in the square to the right when leaving the station that had bottles of local beer if that helps.

MarkoNm
beers 6174 º places 386 º 17:21 Thu 8/3/2017

I’ll be there this weekend and can check it out if there’s something worthy nearby

GTAEgeek
beers 5672 º places 553 º 17:21 Thu 8/3/2017

Originally posted by WingmanWillis
I recall there being a Supermarket in the square to the right when leaving the station that had bottles of local beer if that helps.

Yeah, there’s a Primavera right there, but I couldn’t find any evidence online of them having beer. That’s why I was going to go a bit further to the Cactus. That place does look convenient, though, so I might just swing through there, just in case.

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1569 º places 1912 º 02:45 Fri 8/4/2017

I bought bottles from there so they definitely have a selection. The beer was on a different aisle to the wine IIRC.