Moderation of places

Reads 6184 • Replies 71 • Started Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:56:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jjsint
beers 7801 º places 1359 º 10:47 Mon 7/25/2016

Actually this thread has got me wanting to go to Armenia now!

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4607 º 11:38 Mon 7/25/2016

Originally posted by jjsint

bring back brandy!

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:40 Mon 7/25/2016

Originally posted by Sarlacc83
Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by Travlr
The problem is that as long as they serve beer they’re allowed. Feel free to post a list of all the places that don’t meet that criteria.

I think the criteria are that they have to serve craft beer, and be open for business. So a bar that serves only Bud Light would not be allowed

That’s pretty subjective though. If we’re going by the BA guidelines and calling anything non-macro a "craft" beer then the bar with 4 taps: Bud Light, MGD, Shocktop, and Sam Adams Boston Lager would be valid here.

I agree. I also feel like there should be a rising tide criteria. For example, in Portland, both Apizza Scholls and Trader Joe’s (Cesar Chavez) are listed. Though both carry craft beer, Apizza Scholls isn’t a restaurant with a focus on beer, and if Trader’s Joe’s is listed, then just about every Safeway in Portland should be as Safeway actually has a better selection. But rather than inundate the places list, I think Apizza Schools and Trader Joe’s should go for Portland.

However, for a smaller city, a grocery store might be the only place to carry beer, and as such, would be worth including. Hence each area should probably have its own rules for inclusion.

Yeah... I went through and edited a bunch of Trader Joes locations, along with Bevmo, BJs, and some of the really unworthy stops like Safeway, Albertsons, and Cost Plus. It’s annoying.

I agree that it might be more acceptable in some places than others but you really cant tell someone that they CAN add an Albertsons in Pocatello, Idaho but that they CAN NOT add one in San Diego

Originally posted by Sarlacc83
The problem is that as long as they serve beer they’re allowed. Feel free to post a list of all the places that don’t meet that criteria.

I think the criteria are that they have to serve craft beer, and be open for business. So a bar that serves only Bud Light would not be allowed

That’s pretty subjective though. If we’re going by the BA guidelines and calling anything non-macro a "craft" beer then the bar with 4 taps: Bud Light, MGD, Shocktop, and Sam Adams Boston Lager would be valid here.

I agree. I also feel like there should be a rising tide criteria. For example, in Portland, both Apizza Scholls and Trader Joe’s (Cesar Chavez) are listed. Though both carry craft beer, Apizza Scholls isn’t a restaurant with a focus on beer, and if Trader’s Joe’s is listed, then just about every Safeway in Portland should be as Safeway actually has a better selection. But rather than inundate the places list, I think Apizza Schools and Trader Joe’s should go for Portland.

However, for a smaller city, a grocery store might be the only place to carry beer, and as such, would be worth including. Hence each area should probably have its own rules for inclusion.

Yeah... I went through and edited a bunch of Trader Joes locations, along with Bevmo, BJs, and some of the really unworthy stops like Safeway, Albertsons, and Cost Plus. It’s annoying.

I agree that it might be more acceptable in some places than others but you really cant tell someone that they CAN add an Albertsons in Pocatello, Idaho but that they CAN NOT add one in San Diego
At the very least, it seems like there are two sets of rules- one set for regular users, and another set for admins. Maybe more. A standardized set of real rules that everyone could follow would be preferable, I think. At least everyone would be measured by the same equal standard.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 12:50 Mon 7/25/2016

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
At the very least, it seems like there are two sets of rules- one set for regular users, and another set for admins. Maybe more. A standardized set of real rules that everyone could follow would be preferable, I think. At least everyone would be measured by the same equal standard.

Not sure what you mean, please explain. non-admins can edit places just like they can add them. What am I missing?

And for what it’s worth, I did most of my place editing before I became an admin.

jjsint
beers 7801 º places 1359 º 12:59 Mon 7/25/2016

Originally posted by jjsint

bring back brandy!

Oh... It’ll be a while yet...

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

Not sure what you mean, please explain. non-admins can edit places just like they can add them. What am I missing?

And for what it’s worth, I did most of my place editing before I became an admin.
Simply that there’s an extended idea of what a worthy place is on Ratebeer being presented in this thread- an idea beyond "must serve craft beer."

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 17:38 Mon 7/25/2016

"Must serve craft beer" is a horrible standard for the United States and much of Europe. Even generally low quality bars in small towns are going to have something that would be called craft, like my local, Summit Pale Ale. Every gas station in Wisconsin has Spotted Cow.

The better standard would be to only put the best places in, as well as every brewery/tap room.

Originally posted by JK
"Must serve craft beer" is a horrible standard for the United States and much of Europe. Even generally low quality bars in small towns are going to have something that would be called craft, like my local, Summit Pale Ale. Every gas station in Wisconsin has Spotted Cow.

The better standard would be to only put the best places in, as well as every brewery/tap room.
How would "the best places" be determined? Not trolling. What is the standard for "best places"?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 19:37 Mon 7/25/2016

This very much gets at the issue, as there are very different standards. People who live in Portland or San Diego or Chicago (or really, any major US city at this point) are very much spoiled when it comes to what and how much beer is available to them. They probably also have large populations and large numbers of grocery and liquor stores, many of which are going to carry some "craft" beer, because everyone expects to be able to pick up a sixer of Lagunitas IPA when they walk into the store here in the Bay Area.

Things have also changed a lot in 15 years--yeah, adding every BevMo (or equivalent) probably made sense back then because there weren’t that many of them and there weren’t that many places to get a good selection of beer. But now, every grocery store chain has the same selection of beers and there are dozens of them, we don’t need them all listed.

I’m not sure what the solution really is, as I’m not sure I can come up with an appropriate one right now. But we can almost certainly do better than our current working definition and guidelines.