Stone City Stein Bock

click to upload

Formerly brewed at Stone City Brewing
Style: Dunkler Bock
Solon, Iowa USA

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 2.7/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.72   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 188   ABV: 6.25%
Lighter in color than traditional Bock beers. Munich malt gives Stein Bock its truly unique taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Gmku (294) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 4, 2004
BASED ON NOTES from about two years ago, when I first had this (so take this for what it's worth). The brewery, I'm told, has since gone out of business. For the quality of beer these guys were making, I always thought the six packs were overpriced, but I'm no marketing expert. Packaging and reputation made me think I was getting a primo craft brew, but it was really pretty ordinary (though not terrible) craft brew. Here goes: Sweet and fruity, but not as full feeling (body, mouthfeel) as other bocks I've tried. It's like a bock trying to be something else. Too much sweetness and not enough crispness from hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - DEC 3, 2001
Overly sweet in both the start and the finish. Lacking in the smoothness and cleanliness that for me makes bocks good. Kind of clumsy and too fruity.