Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon First Edition

overall
Formerly brewed at Nøgne Ø
Style: Imperial Stout
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 525   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 480   ABV: 16%
This is our first edition of Dark Horizon. It is the first, for us anyway. There will be more to follow, and even though they will be other editions, they will still be firsts. “Let’s go crazy!” said Tore. The last time he said that, we created #100, which proved to be a success. How could I not agree to his suggestion? “How crazy can we be?” I responded. “Go all the way!” he answered. So we started off with a beefed up Imperial Stout, extra dark and extra bitter, not much to it really, but maybe a bit over the top. When this brew had fermented, we gathered again on a sunny Saturday morning, ready for next move. Half a ton of demerara sugars and our homemade extract of coffee were waiting for us. Standing there with sticky sugars all over the brewery and us, I just couldn’t resist asking Tore: “Don’t you have better things to do during week ends?” To this point he still hasn’t answered me. After adding a hefty volume of wine yeast, we left this brew to itself for month. A good month, that was.

This is ale; it is also a wine, and a coffee drink. We’ve been playful and brewed a hybrid. Do yourself and your friends a favour and share this bottle with those you deem worthy. Dark Horizon is indeed a global brew. Inspiration from the US Midwest, malt from England, bottles from Germany, name from Japan, sugars from Mauritius, hops from the Pacific rim, Yeast from Canada, coffee from Colombia, brewed in Grimstad, Norway.

All bottles of Dark Horizon are numbered with its unique number, and all together we launched 6000 of this brew.

37 P, 75 IBU, 16% ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
djoeye (1230) - Tromsø, NORWAY - JUL 18, 2014
Vintage moment at Finn’s Castle : Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon 1st Edition (16%). Beige low tight head in the snifter, black-black-brown body. A bouquet of liquorice, a bowl of chocolate stuff mixed with coffee beans, and the whole candy shop passes my nose. Taste; caramel power-malts, liquorice, lots of dark fruits, cinnamon, ginger, chocolate - you name it (’coz I forgot...). Very nice fruity on palate, full body, and about completely hidden alcohol (oups). Finishes fruity, caramelly, dark dark barley malty, warming. Full taste without black holes. Luxurious slow sipper for the sunset. Thanx 2 Finn :)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Prufrockstar (831) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 11, 2014
Huge thanks to OldMrCrow for sharing this beauty with my wife and me one night. Pours deep and dark with no head. Chewy, dark candied fruit; roast, chocolate, well-placed oxidation; like dark, sweet, condensed grape juice (with alcohol, of course - I suppose they call that port?). Not picking up any coffee here. It’s on the sweet side, but really really nice -- doesn’t show its age at all. Impressive. This is a huge beer, but no heat except for the lingering burn in my throat that I’d love to go on and on -- this is impressive. Really impressive. Full body, slick texture that is just full enough but not quite thick or viscou. Soft carbonation. Damn this is good. Seriously goddamned good. Thanks again, Crow!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naka (704) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 17, 2014
Courtesy of dpjuart. Pours black. Aroma of molasses, dried dark fruit, and alcohol. Flavor is dark and roasted. A little soy sauce. Carbon and caramelly sweetness. Body is rich and sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
artmcd8 (1546) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2014
Bottle shared thanks to drewbeerme at pre-DLD tasting. Pours a thick used motor oil-like black without a head. Aroma of roastiness and dark fruits. Taste is super sweet with a light booziness to it. Super sticky and thick. Thanks for the taste, Drew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
charule (1004) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 25, 2014
Bottle share thanks to drewbeerme. Poured black with no head. Aroma of dark fruits and booze. Light carb thick bod. Super dark fruit taste with booze finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
OldMrCrow (1772) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 25, 2014
Bottle shared w/ Mr. and Mrs. Prufrockstar April 2014

I’m not sure quite where I got this but where ever it came from it spent five years sitting in the cellar, sitting there first to let it age and later as I fell out of love with imperial stouts. Pours dark with very little head. Surprisingly red wine-like in the aroma, plenty of coffee, hints of smoke. Sweet, intense flavor first suggests canned iced mocha but quickly reveals so much more than that. Dark grape juice, Madeira, a bit of salt late.

Gosh this held up well over the years. Soon enough; no flab, no cardboard. Late enough; perfectly integrated without any heat even at 16%. I’m really, really impressed. The beer of the night on a night of great imperial stouts.

tl;dr summary: Perfect imperial stout at 5 years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BelgianBeerGal (3103) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JAN 31, 2014
Bottle #5461 traded for in NV and finally enjoyed in OH 5+ years later. Dark and slick appearance like used oil with only a few brown bubbles from the pour. Bold aroma of dark fruit, coffee, molasses and a hint of sour cherries. Flavor is actually a sweet, syrupy, fruitiness upfront that mellows into some nice coffee. Honestly, the 16 ABV is buried deep. Pretty drinkable for something this big. I think time has helped this tremendously.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GothGargoyle (1142) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 6, 2013
Black with virtually no head. Aroma is liquorice, soy sauce, roasted chestnuts, fig, booze. Slightly syrupy mouthfeel, sweet on the palate with a little balancing bitterness. Taste is liquorice, chocolate, coffee, oak, hint of soy sauce.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jmagnus87 (2401) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2013
Bottle sampled at at tasting. From notes. Roasty chocolate and dark fermented fruits. I would love a bottle for myself.

ChinoSkillzian (158) - The Hills, California, USA - AUG 27, 2013
Big thanks to Geokkjer, Meilby, and yngwie! Pours a opaque black with small tan head. Huge nose of molasses, caramel, bourbon, oak, vanilla, cinnamon, and some alcohol heat. The palate is super silky and warming, with flavors of roasted malt, coffee, vanilla bean, maple, and dark chocolate. Really nice and I think some bottle age helped it.