Abbaye bue moines|
Extract/grain recipe, using la
1. Small steep. Crush grains and put them in grain bag. In a separate pot (that is, not your brew pot), put grain bag in 1 quart of water. Bring water to 150F and hold for 30 minutes.|
2. Boil volume is 3 gallons. While grains steep, bring 3 gallons of water to boil in brew pot.
3. Dissolve candi sugar in another pot of boiling water; 2 pints, boil for 10-15 minutes and ensure all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and save for later addition to wort. See #6 below.
4. When steep is done (30 minutes), turn off heat, pull bag from water, and add the grain tea to the brew water.
5. When brew water reaches boil temp (212F), remove pot from heat. Add the pound of DME.
6. Return kettle to burner. After wort pot returns to a boil, begin timing of boil and add Stryian Golding hops.
7. At 30 minutes remaining in the boil, remove wort pot from burner and add candi sugar water.
8. Return kettle to burner, return wort to boil.
9. With 15 minutes left in the boil, remove wort pot from heat and add 6.6 pounds of LME. Make sure the LME is well-dissolved in the wort before returning kettle to heat.
10. After returning wort to heat, stir frequently to avoid scorching and carmelization of the wort.
11. At 59 minutes into the boil, add Saaz hops.
12. At end of boil, follow your established procedures for cooling, topping off to 5 gallons, aerating, and pitching yeast. Don’t forget to take hydrometer reading before pitching yeast and conducting a taste test!