This is one of my favorite styles, so this beer is brewed quite frequently. With the hefeweizen yeast cake I often make dunkelweizens and weizenbocks.
1. Prepare yeast starter 48 hours in advance!|
2. Begin mash with 3.5gal of 110F water. Protein rest for 10 minutes, drink some coffee.
3. Remove 1.5gal thick mash, heat to a boil, return to mash.
4. Mash should settle near 130F, rest 10 minutes.
5. Remove 1.5gal thick mash, heat to a boil, return to mash.
6. Mash should settle near 148-150F, rest 25 minutes.
5. Remove 1gal thick mash, heat to a boil, return to mash.
6. Sparge with 3.5gal of 155F water.
7. You should have 6.5gal of wort. Add half of the hops and boil for 30 minutes.
8. Add the other half of the hops, boil for another 30 minutes.
9. Chill to 70F and ferment at room temp.
10. Beer is ready after 3-6 weeks. Prosit!