1. Mash in with 5 gallons of 132F water to hit 122F for 30 minutes.|
2. Raise temperature to 150F for an hour.
3. Batch sparge, collecting 3.5 gallons from each batch.
4. Boil for 30 minutes without hops.
5. Add Chinook hops and start 90 minute timer.
6. Chill quickly, to around 65F. (go Wisconsin winters)
7. Pitch an ale yeast, I used a local brewpubs.
Now for the coffee that is added in secondary. I use cold extraction. First, crush the coffee to a rough grind. It should be similar to how you would make french press coffee. Then sanitize a 2L pitcher with a lid and have enough boiled and chilled, room temp water to fill it. Add around 8oz of coffee to the pitcher and cover with the water. Stir well, put in the fridge for 24 hours. Pour into sanitized french press a little bit at a time and press it. I ended up with 36oz of coffee extract.
I added 32oz of the extract to the 5 gallon batch.