Pizza The Hutt|
An interesting spice/herb/vegetable beer with flavors reminiscent of a fresh pizza. A nice beer to share with friends, enjoy with pasta or pizza, or use in chili or homemade herb bread. Ages well (flavors mellow a bit after a year in bottles). Makes 5 gallons.
1. Steep crushed grains in 6 gallons of water at 170-degrees for 60 min|
2. Bring to boil and add dry malt extract and tomatoes (use grain bag for tomatoes to make removal easier).
3. 15 minutes into boil, add bittering hops and garlic
4. 50 minutes into boil, add beets (including juice), oregano, basil, jalapenos and habanero
5. 55 minutes into boil, add aroma hops. Continue boil for 5 minutes, then kill the heat.
6. Cool to approx. 75 degrees, move to fermenter and pitch yeast. Ferment 10 days.
7. Rack to secondary. Add 1/2 of a hop sack full of fresh basil, 1 clove garlic, dash of dry oregano
8. 2 weeks later, rack again (will be a fair amount of sediment)
9. After 8 days, bottle. (Rack onto 3/4 cup of priming sugar dissolved in boiling water and cooled to room temp, then siphon into bottles)
10. Let age about 2 weeks.