1. preheat oven to 300F.|
2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven large enough to hold the shanks in 1 layer on the stove. season and flour the shanks and cook 10 minutes on each side until very brown and crispy, being careful not to burn.
3. remove the shanks and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat; add the shallots, garlic, carrot, celery, peppers, mushrooms, rosemary, bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon and cook until the veg is tender and shiny.
4. add the tomatoes, maudite, chicken stock and honey and bring to a boil. add the shanks back to the pot.
5. cover and place in the oven. Cook 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Turn the lamb every 30 minutes and check to ensure that the liquid has not evaporated.
6. when lamb is tender, remove the shanks from the sauce, strain the sauce through a fine sieve and discard the vegetables.
7. skim and discard fat from the surface of the braising liquid, bring to a simmer and reuce to desired consistency.
8. pour the sauce over the shanks and serve.