1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high until it shimmers.
2. Season pork with salt and pepper, then add to the hot oil.
3. Brown pork, turning frequently, for 20 minutes.
4. Stir in onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in tomato paste, beer, and water. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in BBQ spice. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
7. Cover and cook for 2 to 4 hours, stirring about every 10-15 minutes, until the pork is completely shredded. Add more beer as necessary to prevent the pork from drying.
8. Serve over fresh biscuits with sides of coleslaw, potato salad and beer.