RateBeer strives to be an inclusive, friendly and informed world forum for the
growth of beer appreciation, evaluation and information. Accounts at RateBeer are currently free
and available to anyone with an email address and an Internet connection.
While all ages are welcome to use RateBeer as a reference source, it is suggested that membership and premium membership especially is reserved for those 18 years and older, and/or legal beer drinking age in your locale.
In order to maintain the proper functionality, quality and decorum, site administrators
will quickly delete ratings, posts, or messages deemed offensive or abusive. Failure to abide by RateBeer rules and guidelines may result in denial of access to one or more site services like login, posting, adding beers, etc. Additionally,
site administrators may take additional action against any person who flagrantly or repeatedly
breaks the rules or shows no regard for warnings for inappropriate behavior.
By using the site, applying for a user account at RateBeer or purchasing or accepting premium membership, users agree to the following terms.
- A user who is a producer and/or place or affiliate of a producer and/or place may not rate products and/or services of that producer and/or place
- Malicious ratings of competitor products or establishments is strictly prohibited and grounds for account termination
- A beer rating sufficiently below or above a beer's average and with no reasonable explanation and/or comments may be considered abusive.
- Accounts with false names, visits from falsified or anonymized IP addresses or false emails are prohibited.
- Scraping of the site or otherwise automatically extracting any copyrighted information from the site is forbidden
- Users may not engage in any behavior associated with electronic attacks, attack probing and other behavior associated with malice and intent to harm the electronic structures.
- User contribution that violates the law in any of the localities, regions or countries where RateBeer is published is subject to deletion or modification.
- Any user contribution that appears false or fabricated may be challenged and/or deleted.
- Defamation, whether tied to competitors or not, is strictly prohibited. Reviews or posts deemed to be defamatory, may be brought to our attention and deleted.
- Users who systematically produce ratings with little regard for flavor, aroma and other aesthetic values may warned about their ratings by an administrator. They will have two business days to respond. Lockout or deletion may result if the user doesn't produce better ratings.
- Harrassment or defamation of users, the site administrators, the company (RateBeer), its products or affiliates is considered abuse.
- RateBeer does not allow inappropriate lewd or obscene behavior of any kind, including posts, messages, pictures, or links. Doing so is a violation of the user agreement.
- Posting of commercial advertisements in ratings, messages, the forums or anywhere else on the site without authorization is not allowed.
- RateBeer has a ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY for hate messages of any sort. We have in the past and will in the future move swiftly and decisively to eliminate postings and user accounts of those posting hate messages.
In some cases, RateBeer may elect to pursue abuse issues with the Internet service providers of
RULES OF SUBMISSION OF CONTENT, LICENSING & COPYRIGHT
RateBeer ratings, articles and other user-submitted information is the sole property of the publisher, RateBeer. Any intent for re-use or republishing should be cleared prior to publishing with RateBeer. Domestic and International copyright and trademark laws protect the entire contents of RateBeer. The owner of the intellectual property, copyrights and trademarks is RateBeer LLC. You may not modify, copy, republish, post, resend, transmit, upload, IN ANY MANNER, THE MATERIAL ON THE SITE, INCLUDING TEXT, GRAPHICS, CODE AND/OR SOFTWARE without the explicit, written permission of RateBeer.
You may print and download portions of material from the different areas of the Site solely for your own non-commercial use provided that you agree not to change or delete any copyright or proprietary notices from the materials. You agree to grant to RateBeer a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, sub licensable, perpetual license, with the right to sub-license, to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, publicly display and publicly perform any materials and other information (including, without limitation, ideas contained therein for new or improved products and services) you submit to any public areas of the Site (such as ratings, forums, articles and recipes) or by e-mail to RateBeer by all means and in any media now known or hereafter developed. You also grant to RateBeer the right to use your name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing and promotional material related thereto. You agree that you shall have no recourse against RateBeer for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to RateBeer.
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR OWN CONTENT
Every user retains the right to republish the content he or she has authored that has been submitted to the RateBeer web site, newsletter or other RateBeer published materials. Example: If a user would like to publish a book of his beer ratings posted to the RateBeer web site, he can do so without the permission of RateBeer. However permission is required for other data such as beer ratings, other user's ratings and other proprietary data.
CONTESTS AND GIVEAWAYS
RateBeer assumes no liability for prizes or any other benefits associated with third-party promotions provided at RateBeer. All contest participants are required to have a full name, full mailing address, email and phone number listed on their account so that prizes may be awarded. Accounts that fail to provide full name, mailing address and contact information (email and phone) may not be eligible for prizes.
RIGHT TO DENY SERVICE
Like any American establishment RateBeer reserves the right to deny service, delete any account, rating, posting, story or any other other content, in part or in full, for any reason and at any time. We also may restrict access to posting, adding beers, rating, mobile access or any channel or channels of contribution individually.
HEALTH AND SAFETY LIABILITY
RateBeer wants all our members to have a safe and healthy relationship with beer. We encourage moderation with attention to quality rather than quantity. We also encourage a responsible approach to transportation and other activities that may be hazardous after drinking alcoholic beverages and support a designated driver program. The RateBeer user agrees not to hold RateBeer liable for any negative effects of beer and/or alcohol on their health or safety.
RateBeer does not issue refunds for loss of any priveleges for any reason, including loss of privileges due to a user violation of these terms of service.
OUR PROMISE TO YOU
The goal of Ratebeer is to serve as a resource and open forum for lovers of beer. We are committed to fairness and openness in how users are treated. Our promise to you is that, so long as users comply with our written policy on abuse, users will not be subjected to arbitrary action against their accounts. Clear abuse of ratings (such as multiple, fraudulent ratings intended to skew results) are subject to immediate deletion. We promise that any action by the Administrators of Ratebeer for non-rating activities will be clearly explained and justified to the user. Further, prior to any temporary or permanent suspension, if such course is deemed necessary, the Administrators of Ratebeer will notify the user of the reasons and given the user an opportunity to explain himself or herself. Our obligation to users is to allow an open exchange of ideas and beer appreciation, with clear limits only as set out in the User Agreement and with as much tolerance and restraint as is healthy for the Ratebeer community as a whole.
The following are guidelines for reviewing and rating products on the RateBeer web site or in apps or other software that interacts with RateBeer. We trust that our reviewers will make reasonable assessments of the conditions under which they review products for our site.
* A person may not rate or review any products of a producer when he or she possesses more than 10% of, or has invested more than $10,000 in, the production company.
* A reviewer must exercise good judgment when reviewing a sample. Product samples very significantly damaged outside normal distribution paths or by extraordinary amounts of time or extreme environmental exposure, or otherwise distinctly outside the brewer's responsibility should not be reviewed.
* Reviewers should endeavor to review products under fair and reasonable environmental conditions. Product sample reviews significantly affected by severe weather conditions -- including but not limited to dust storms, hail, tornado, extreme heat wave, hurricane, flood, earthquake or volcano -- or in environments affected by very heavy tobacco or wood smoke, or heavy olfactory interference such as in an portable toilet or perfume store, or while under water should not be added.
* Reviewers should endeavor to review products under fair and reasonable personal conditions. Users should not review products when they are under extreme psychological or physical stress (e.g. while being waterboarded/tortured, running a mile for time, in warzones in live fire, while extremely intoxicated by alcohol or poison, while unable to breathe, being repeatedly punched in the face, while unplanned skydiving, aflame, etc.)