23rd Street From Brussels To Russellís Saison With Rye

23rd Street From Brussels To Russellís Saison With Rye
     click to upload

Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.75/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rbfishstick (141) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2012
Enjoyed at GTMW 2012. Poured a cloudy gold with a micro-bubble head. Smells of wet hay and lemons. Bitter hops taste and aftertaste mixed with creamy citrus.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (2368) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - AUG 10, 2012
10oz glass at happy hour for only $1, more reason to go to 23rd. I am pretty sure this is the first saison 23rd has ever made, I think because this the first original recipe from the assistant brewery. I appreciate that the brewery went with something new (not just an IPA) and took a twist on a traditional style, so points just for not being squares. The beer comes to me with a nice thick head atop a dark orange color and thick looking body, cannot see through it. Aroma is Belgian sweetness and subdued esters. This may be the best aspect of the beer, meaning lack of a problem. Many brewpubs and first time saison brewers produce highly estry brews. This was not the case, a very controlled ester release, which I really appreciate. Same in the flavor. The beer has a little more sweetness than I prefer but still within the realm of what I like (I like sweeter beers). The rye adds a nice roundness to the malt character. A fun beer that I canít wait to drink again... hmmm need to get there for happy hour again.