3 Fonteinen Armand’4 Oude Geuze Lente

overall
Formerly brewed at 3 Fonteinen
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 296   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Armand’4 Oude Geuze is a blend of 1, 2 and 3 years old lambic, brewed, aged, blended and bottled by Armand Debelder. Limited blend! Ingr.: 60% malted barley, 40% wheat, aged hops and water. Limited edition! Armand’4 Oude Geuze is een mengeling van 1, 2 en 3 jaar oude lambiek, gebrouwen, gerijpt, geassembleerd en gebotteld door Armand Debelder. Eenmalige assemblage! Ingr.: 60% gerstemout, 40% tarwe, overjaarse hop en water. Beperkte oplage! Released at Toer de Geuze 2011 on May 1, 2011. 6% ABV, bottles of 75cl.

corby112 (2214) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 15, 2011
Huge thanks to callmemickey for busting this out as a surprise during our 3F Oude Gueuze vertical tasting. Thanks a lot Ryan! Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with faint pale golden straw hues when held to a light and a massive frothy, soapy white head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Huge chunks of soapy lace coat the glass. Very funky, musty aroma with hints of cobweb, horsebalnket, old wood and earth/soil. Smells like an old barn, vegetal with hints of wet hay, damp basement, bugs, subtle lactic, vinegar and light/citrus fruits. Fuller bodied than expected with a very tart, puckering mouthfeel. Acidic on the tongue yet still somehow remains soft and easy to drink. No solvent or harsh stomach burning character. Lots of earthy funk and a strong barrel presence. Musty with hints of wood, light fruit, zesty lemon citrus and a lingering acetic vinegary sweetness in the finish that leaves me drooling for more. Extremely complex, well balanced and immensely quaffable. An excellent blend, one of the best lambics I’ve ever had. I don’t see any way in which it could be improved. This should age with the best of them. I would love to try it again in a decade or so.

jethrodium (366) - Berkeley, California, USA - DEC 13, 2011
750 ml bottle. Pours a cloudy golden orange with a 3 finger white head that has good retention and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is amazing. Extremely funk with some soft oak, some light lemon, mushroom, and a decent amount of earthiness. There is a bit of green apple and some apricot present as well. Probably the best smelling beer I have ever had. The taste starts with some soft funky oak with a slight hint of sweetness. Then comes some light lemon, a bit of lactic, some mushroom, and a bit of apple. The finish has a funky earthiness to it. Overall, it is not particularly dry or sweet. It has a decent tartness throughout, but is not over the top The mouthfeel is quite amazing. It has fairly light, soft, fluffy feel in on the tongue, and the medium carbonation is perfect. I would say that this is the best beer that I have had. I can’t think of anything that I would change about it.

77ships (4297) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - DEC 25, 2011
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2013 75 cl. bottle @ home: pretty psyched about this beer like most, decided to get one bottle of every season – 3 of different seasons I will be keeping for myself & 1 for a tasting – Lente is the one that I will be popping first – corked odd champagne bottle with the same landscape on the label as others only this one obviously shows it during spring time, as usual label explains that is a blend of 1,2 & 3 year old lambic, etc. is there anyone out there who doesn’t know these things and is actually buying this? – Air is listed as an ingredient (or element of a geuze) :) – unfortunately no gift package but glad that I still managed to get it because I started collecting them only around November, a bit on the late side probably – upon popping the corking the beer breathed for about 30 seconds before completely exploding on me – it just started gushing with such force and vigorously that I feared that I would loose all of my beer to the sink within a matter of seconds – incredible gusher, probably cursing, extremely loudly in French, Dutch, Russian & English I tried salvaging some of it but eventually lost probably 15 % of my beer, this is indeed highly carbonated – poured in my 3 Fonteinen snifter, its settles a gorgeous bright golden sun, orange with a thick lasting foamy head, the head is firm, +1 finger thick it just stays there and never disappears, incredible, it doesn’t lace either, it just rolls off the sides of the glass when I swirl my glass, what a head – smell is unmistakably 3F, sharp lemons float into my nose, golden wheat fields, sunshine, sharp sourness, clear-cut barnyard funk, sharp, clean 3F hops, even sharper than usual, lots of white pepper rounds it off, this has none of the cobwebs, cellar, etc. that you would expect from a geuze, this smells uberfresh in a way which makes no since because I have had fresh lambic & young geuze and it is nothing like this but it is hard to describe this any other way, immortal, ageless, this is clearly a 3F geuze but with all the fat cut from the bone, shot straight to the sun, perfect, compared to this everything else shows defects, this is sharp, round & shinning – taste follows the smell, so light & fluffy at first but also sharp, tart lemons, tart fresh orange juice, young green apples, sunlight barnyards, blistering in the sun funk, it tastes so fresh, like the fountain of youth, sour? perhaps but not extremely so or rather it is very sour but it is so perfectly balanced you don’t even seem to notice, the initial taste is followed by incredibly golden wheat field hops, very bitter but the body is so sparkling & fluffy, the bitterness forms the perfect counterbalance for the sourness, finishing, in sharp, strong white pepper, crystallized, concentrated, I don’t like comparing stuff like this to Champagne, partially because I don’t like Champagne & I think this is in a class of its own but this is Champagne-like only if Champagne were perfect, as good as people like to believe it really is, maybe the greatest Champagne in the world compares to this, a comment which was half validated to me, once again, so fresh & ageless, no age on it, no cellar, cobwebs etc. not even the smallest hint of it, to be found anywhere here – extremely carbonated, most carbonated beer I have ever head, almost out carbonating Champagne, despite the fact I don’t like highly carbonated beers, it is perfect here, so refreshing, light & soft on the tongue, the carbonation is perfect to say the least, air does indeed feel like an element of this – is this new, radical or different? no, not sure whether I would call this complex either because it is so perfectly balanced, this is not Mishima, this is Beckett, this is something I always knew and loved perfected in ways I didn’t know where possibly, this is not what expected but this is glorious if rating to style is your modus operandi, there is no way really to give this anything less than a 5, it is not my way of rating but this is one hell of whatever this is – this is geuze alright

peteinSD (1404) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 25, 2011
Christmas day seemed as good a day as any to enjoy this bottle. Pours a bright and hazy yellow/orange with a substantial white head that slowly eases its way down the glass leaving chunks of lacing. Holding the beer up to the sun the color reminds me an intense southern california sunset with smoke in the sky from a santa ana fire. Aroma is the most pure, focused cheese rind funk i’ve ever smelled with must, soft oak, lemon, tart, and a bit of grain or wheat. Very harmonious smell that presents in waves with not a single speck of aroma out of place. Wow. Taste is precise cheese rind, bit of funk, lemon, tart, oak, and what seems like a bit of brighter fruit although it’s hard for me to tell. Stunning balance between the funk and tart and the mouthfeel is perfect. The various flavors seem to pulsate as I work my way through the bottle with some components asserting more on one sip as compared to another but always in pitch perfect balance. If there is any flaw in his beer, I am not the person to say so. Thank you Armand.

dionysus (1448) - Arizona, USA - FEB 25, 2012
I can’t remember whose bottle this was, but HUGE thanks nonetheless. Pour is unfiltered apple juice with a white head. Aroma is tart and funky with definate cheese, leather, horseblanket, sulfur, and lots of citrus. I love gueuze and this is a perfect example of why. Flavor supports the earthy funk with fresh orange zest, grapefruit, and lemongrass. Overall body is moderate, moderately acidic, and finishes with some peppery spice.

jmarsh123 (163) - Indiana, USA - OCT 4, 2013
Shared all 3 Armand bottles with UrbanCaver, forgetfu, eyeenjoybeer and Caleb at Upland while picking up the Sour Reserve. Pours a rich gold with copious amounts of bubbles cascading up the glass. Wonderful funk smell. Sweaty gym sock, lots of dank earthy notes and some crisp apple/lemon flavors as well. Wow. Oh I should write more than that. Ok. Everything in the nose comes through as well. Very dank and earthy funk throughout balanced perfectly by the crisp lemon/citrus zest. Finishes with a very clean crisp sourness. Mouthfeel is spot on. A bit of body and heavy carbonation. This is the most fantastic gueuze I’ve ever had and resisting the temptation to drink one again immediately. The best of the 3 we tried.

Martinus (3052) - Baarle-Nassau, NETHERLANDS - DEC 25, 2013
Clear amber golden colour, white head. Aroma of citrus, bread, brett, pediococcus, barnyard, hint of smoky rubber notes. Light tart, sour flavour, gooseberries, lemon zest, citrus, hint of sweet esters. Finish wood, tart, lots of citrus, lovely brett. Lingering. I’m truly impressed, it’s such an utterly brilliant beer, very flavourful while still managing to feel light. Thanks for the bottle from the contest, Armand!
(75cL bottle shared @ home, aperitif during Christmas day)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gramity (1441) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 20, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2013 Bottle shared at RBAG Summer Session 2012. Thanks Savvy!! This was a highlight of the tasting for me. Nose is incredible - lemon rind, sharp funk, horseblanket, lots of barnyard, yet refreshing and crisp with a hint of cheese. Pours a bit darker than the average gueuze - with plentiful foam. Excellent taste - very tart, lemon rind, and super funky. Not acedic, more lactic. Sour and refreshing. Soft in the palate. Fantastic beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Ludvig (118) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 9, 2012
vanilla, vanilla and vanilla. this beer lives up to the hype! so good lovely mouth feel and the taste is spectacular!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fredrik_ (89) - SWEDEN - NOV 13, 2012
Bottle from Etre Gourmet Amazing gauze. Great mouthfeel and alot of complexity. Well balanced armand knows his stuff.