3 Fonteinen J & J Oude Geuze Blauw

overall
Formerly brewed at 3 Fonteinen
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 309   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Mixture of 1 year old Lindemans lambic and 4 year old Girardin lambic. Fermented and ripened on oak barrels. Not filtered, refermented in the bottle. Blue "male" labels.

arjoseph (634) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 30, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2008 Bottle into tumbler, Heeren van Liedekerke, Denderleeuw, Belgium. I can smell the sour brettiness about a foot away. Huge rocky white head sinking steadily into a visibly effervescent orange beer. Smell is geuze sourness and brett balanced softly with a bit of black pepper; smells as light, fluffy and delicate as the head looks. Robust sourness (like the regular Oude Geuze), but here itís even more aggressive; the very moment the beer touches the tip of my tongue, it seems like my whole tongue is prickling. Flavor begins as muscat grape with a very subtle confectionerís sugar (lasts about 5 seconds); after the initial push, the sides and back of tongue feel the emerging of dryness, which rides the last of the fizzy carbonation on the way down. After the swallow, acid reemerges from seemingly nowhere (since it had completely died into dryness), watering the mouth and tasting of candied apple (but not that sweet); all throughout the finish a dry, champagne/proseco dryness provides a floor for the coming and going waves of sour fruits (apples, grapes, apricots). Eventually, the fruit settles into a sour apricot that rests on the very back of the tongue, as the sides persist in proseco dryness. I think this finish would last the rest of my life if I decided not to eat or drink anything else; it just doesnít stop. I think I can still taste it now, thousands of miles and about a week later. The glass evidences the most beautiful and strange lace Iíve ever seen: Iíve been drinking from the same side of the glass, and the other side has an unbroken sheet that extends in three dimensions: itís a 3D lattice of popped soapy bubbles, like a fossil of the head. Phenomenal. Iím pretty sure this is my new favorite beer. To say "dope" would demean it, and thatís usually my highest superlative.

Re-Rate: Iíve had this beer a couple times since that fateful day in Belgium, and while it has remained dope, it has never been as good as that day. Still, in conversations with some other dudes, I realized that this deserves a 5. In my mind, a beer can not get more perfect or style-defining, and itís my favorite style. Every geuze that I drink gets compared to it (and pales), every time I drink it I love it unconditionally, and it defined the single best beer experience of my life. So it gets my first (and probably only) 5.

awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2008 From a 750mL Bottle. Slightly hazy, golden caramel colored pour with a massive head of soapy white foam. The head lasts forever with an active, continuously morphing, self-sustaining quality. A fantastic acidic wave of red fruits, thimbleberry seeds, and raspberry stems greet the nose with a light woodiness. Some delicate, white grapey sauvingon blanc skins blend well with some maple bark. A little more light and tart acidic fruits in the bouquet relative to the Roze, and less funky and spicy. Extremely light bodied, effervescent mouthfeel. The beer just explodes over the surface of the tongue with its intense acidic flavors and aggressive effervescence. Lots of tart grapes, apple skins, and pomegranite seeds. A smidgen of cheese rind lingers in the final smack with a lingering presence of lemon rind and a small shake of tellicherry black pepper. This beer has the incredibly rare quality of impressing me more and more each time I’m lucky enough to try it. Every gueuze will always have the unfortunate fate of being compared to this. What is perfection? This. And then try it with Humboldt Fog.

ryan (3187) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2007
UPDATED: APR 28, 2010 Rating #1200 Bottle from fonefan. Slightly hazy light amber body with a large, chunky white head-lasting, nice lace. The nose is moderately sour with light lactic acid, melon, tons of horseblanket, pineapple, cobwebs and light cheese. The flavor is moderately sour, lightly sweet with lemon, melon, cider, cheese, tangerin and red grapefruit. Medium body is ultra soft and smooth with moderate/high carbonation that remains gentle. Brilliant stuff. Probably the best Lambic Iíve ever had.

Iíve had this amazing beer about a dozen times since my first rating. Iím quite convinced at this point that this is the best gueuze Iíve ever had. I see no reason not to rate it a perfect 5.

cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - AUG 18, 2008
I hope nobody minds this placeholder rating for the purposes of the DD Top Ten list accuracy. l’ve got a real rating somewhere, and l’ll enter it one of these days, but for now l hope it’s enough to say that one of the bottles I had of this was the single greatest beer l have ever had, bar none. Simply incredible.

JK (4284) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 14, 2008
Huge thanks to Skyview for acquiring and sharing this gem. Opaque gold color and a tall white head. Heavily carbonated. Powerful aromas of yeast, barnyard horseblanket. Wild yeast. Earthy, dry, some cheese, very mild hops. Quite sour. Full palate and very full flavor. Probably one of the best beers ever made. One of my few 5.0 ratings. It is well deserved.

MiP (13046) - SÝnderborg, DENMARK - JAN 11, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2012 Bottle, 6.5%. Well-balanced fruity and dry aroma, grapefruity and refreshing. Like dry wood with a little acid. Cloudy orange colour. Very big stable white head. The flavour is much of the same with the fruit, grapefruity and dry wood, only with more acid, so it is even more refreshing. I had high expectations for this one, and I was not disappointed. Very balanced and drinkable. I could drink this for a long time and not get tired of it.

TURDFERGUSON (3912) - Carrboro, North Carolina, USA - MAY 11, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2014 Bottle shared by 3/4. My holy grail. The Blue. Finally. Thanks Mike! This did not disappoint. It was a gusher! Can you believe it? But Mike and Kevin were there for the save. Poured out of a whicker basket--very classy. Pours hazy orange with a thick white head and very nice carbonation that created a nice mouthfeel. Nose of horseblanket, cobwebs, must, citrus, very well developed sourness. Incredibly well rounded flavor-maybe the best blend I have had. Compares to the 98 (50th anniversary) and some of the better í99ís I have had. So incredibly smooth, sour and almost creamy at times. A masterpiece. Had this again a couple nights ago. It was my fourth beer of a 50+ bottle share and it more than stood out as the best. This beer may be a itís best right now.

gEUS (890) - Linden, BELGIUM - MAY 15, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2014 750 ml bottle @ The Camper on our Denmark Tour (before and after the S&B/CBC Festivals). Opened the bottle following a trade earlier this week and after having noticed that the cork was a bit dried out (making some gas escape)... Despita that - beer was still in a perfect condition drank it paired with a first course based on tuna and a Danish smeus as the main course)... Now the beer: pours hazy golden orange with constant and continuous creamy white head (looks like beaten egg whites). Aroma of wood (and plenty of it), some green herbs (cresson, parcely) and spices (I had some cloves and thyme). Medium body with fresh yet very subtle acidity which pushes its way through from the middle to finish extremely dry. Taste is again some wood, citrussy notes. Wauuw, truly an incredible beer - and one of my favourite geuzes! ----- Re-rated 22/02/2014 at Jeffoís place. This is just perfection. Sampled this next to other gueuzes and this one simply stood out in balance between funkiness, subtle sourness and - yes - bitterness and what a looooong aftertaste. Just magnificent. Passed from 4.7 to 5.

Huhzubendah (2261) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 25, 2012
I had the chance to enjoy this sublime beer again last weekend. Wow, OMG, wow! Just ridiculously amazing, this beer stood out among a phenomenal list of gueuzes, fruit lambics, and wild ales. I simply canít imagine a beer being any better. *** Original review: 25 January 2010 Thanks Brad! Tasted along with the J&J Roos. A: Gorgeous. Hazy orange. Pretty lacing. S: Hay, straw, barnyard funk, citrus. T: Sourness, balanced to perfection. Subtle lemons, grapefruit, a touch of wood. This is a seriously complex beer and a work of art. The beer seeps into your cheeks with a fine warming sensation and the sourness nestles in beautifully. Every aspect of the taste is simply right on the money. M: Smooth, no bitterness or sharpness. Acidity is spot on. Lasting finish. Perfect carbonation. D: Goes down so easy. I could drink this all night. I hope I get to try this again someday.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 4, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2009 A Mes rate: 75cl bottle dated 6/9/2003 in homage to Mr J. and Mrs. J, guess where from?
Clearly one of the best blends you can get. I promised myself I would not overhype this when it came to rating it but it is really hard not to. The nose is nothing short of perfection. Everything you would expect it to be but with a glorious sandalwood character. Not too funky, not too sour, just sheer excellence all round. A big hit of sour for the finish then instantly dry. Watching it settle after pouring is really a sight to behold and I donít have the words to do it justice. Great head for a Gueuze and with some very chunky lace. Palate is again incredible and missing that prickly feel you can get with a lot of lambics. Wonderful wonderful stuff. A fine and deserving tribute to a fantastic place.
Re-rate: No new notes just a bump up to 4.7 I keep drinking this stuff and it is getting better and better as it ages. One day this might be the best beer ever...