overall
Brewed by 3 Fonteinen
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 787   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Oude Kriek 3 Fonteinen is produced by ripening of cherries (both the flesh and the seeds) in young Lambic. This process takes between 6 to 8 months. After bottling the beer matures for at least 4 months in a warm room where the spontaneous fermentation in the bottle is done.
The head of Oude Kriek is very sensitive to the concentration of the cherry seeds containing oil and may differ from one year to the other.
On old Cherry 3 Fonteinen, no flavorings, sweeteners, or dyes added which makes this beer very natural and is especially thirst quenching.

Note: Recent labels may show the beer to contain 35% of Schaerbeekse Krieken.

dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 3, 2003
I had the 96 vintage at the cafe. And this was the best beer of an 8 day Belgian beer safari. This beer was a revellation of how a big complex gueuze based beer can combine high acidity, rich fruit flavour, a little rounding sweetness and blend it all in perfect synergy. If I had one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it would probably be this one. Based on that, I am giving my first full marks ever: 5.0.

ullrich (21) - Berlin, GERMANY - FEB 4, 2013
Instant love story! Light Cherry and little sour. Would drink again any time & highly recommend to you my reading friend! Had it at Herman Bar, Berlin.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
puzzl (3237) - New York, New York, USA - APR 8, 2008
UPDATED: APR 9, 2008 Bottled. Old. Really old. Hell, I’m not even sure this is the right beer. But let’s start from the beginning.

Last October, my girlfriend and I took a trip to Belgium, and met up with a certain esteemed and very generous RBian. We’d agreed to an in person trade, but little did I know the bonuses I’d be getting. He presented me two bottles, both label-less: one which he believed to be a Cantillon Gueze from the late 70s, and another -- this bottle -- which he believed to be a Drie Fonteinen Gueuze from the early 80s. The cork was old and withered, sitting nearly a centimeter away from the rusty cage that once held it tight. The neck around the cork was crusty and broken, and the bottle was clearly not a quite familiar shape. The indentation in the bottom was rather huge, and the bottle a hefty weight.

Tonight, after waiting for a long while, I decided to have at the mystery beer. As I poured, it was immediately obvious it was not a gueuze. The color is very red and the aroma is very much that of cherries. Most obviously a kriek, I for now am going to guess that the beer may be this. For some reason I don’t have a rating under here already so this one is a little bootleg, but it will be amended with a proper rating of a more current version of the beer when I get another bottle. For now I just want some notes down on this fantastic lambic I am currently drinking.

For a beer that’s supposed to be this old, it still has a lively carbonation, foam sitting amongst the top, and bubbles rising. The cork, when extracted (which was no easy task) was still damp. The side of the bottle is stained from laying down for so long, and the neck smells musky and rather nice. Of the beer the aroma is pitty, pithy, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sour cherries. Full bodied -- the yeast particulate floats in this very unfiltered beer -- with a piercing sourness amongst the cherry patches. Absolutely perfectly completely delicious, dangerously drinkable, I’d kill to have this easily available so I could drink it without worry from a traditional lambic tumbler. This beer is frighteningly good.

I spoke with the trader recently and told him I couldn’t bear to open either of the old bottles he gave me. He responded: "About the old bottles, man, it’s only beer. Cosy evening with your partner, open the bottle, and enjoy!" 8 hours later, that is exactly what I have done. Thank you!

update: after consulting with the trader and deciphering the cork, it turns out that the 3F Kriek is indeed the beer I was drinking, at around 25 years old.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 9, 2007
poured into tulip. this was a treat, very good and complex. pours a cherry red with full pink head, quickly dissipating, with good clearity. very sour cherry aroma. initial tart and sour taste. sour cherry with a light aged complexity. complex from tart dryness to crisp cherry finish, the aged oak offers an unpronounced background, the cherries bring around a dry almost red wine finish. very good, I was sad to see it go.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bloekie (210) - BELGIUM - AUG 29, 2009
Very sour cherry aroma and flavor. Palate is very overwhelmingly fruity. Dark clear red color with no head. Refreshing and very very enjoyable!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
traPISSED (99) - São Paulo, BRAZIL - OCT 25, 2011
75cl bottle at home, 1996 vintage. This bottle was corked, capped and very dusty. The cork was very long...so long that I lost the end of it into the beer. The pour produced a crystal clear bright ruby beer with still a huge amount of colour remaining (almost as much as a new bottle). The smell was fantastic! No oxidisation at all and I mean none!! It smelled of cinnemon, nutmeg, clove and cherry. Almost like a christmas spiced beer. Everyone that tried it said that they had never experienced a Kriek with such a christmas flavour. As we went down the bottle the sourness was more pronounced and the pours where becoming very murky. There was a huge amount of sediment in this bottle. This may well be the most gracefully aged beer Ive ever had. Everyone agreed that it could easily last another 10 years.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
grunx (367) - - FEB 11, 2012
Ye, yeah, àcida i de puta mare! En vull, més i més i més i més i més i més...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
BoostIPA (1100) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - JUN 2, 2012
Pours a very cloudy, thick blood red with almost no head. Really thick and meaty. Aroma is sour cherries, funk, crotch cheese and a strong whiff of oak. This beer is almost flat... Wonder what happened here? Taste is tart but round cherries, rotten oak limbs with moss, slight funk and acidic. Mouthfeel is lacking carbonation, but still pretty thick. Finish is bone dry. If this beer had copious amounts of carbonation it would probably be right up there with the Schaerbeekse Kriek, but as it does not, it falls slightly short. Still amazing, though. Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
knickskicks (627) - - JUL 22, 2012
6 month old bottle. Bottle pour. Dark purple--could be mistaken for wine. Pink head that fizzles to nothing. Tea leaves, cherries, and funk in the nose. Funk and dark cherries with a strong immediate tartness that lasts through the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 9, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2003 Sharpier and cask-woodier than the Girardin Kriek I had before, also cheesier. Lighter/pinker in color, still completely unfiltered as in the Girardin, beautiful pink huge head. A different animal than the Oud Beersel Kriek and the Girardin...right in the middle between them. Delicious.