overall

RATINGS: 59   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
5 Grass is a refreshing yet substantial beer that is pale in color and nicely hoppy. With this beer, we wanted to invoke the brisk, clean aroma of the desert. The recipe makes use of three unique hop varieties as well as some carefully chosen herbs and spices - juniper, sage, and Tasmanian pepperberry, among others - to give a beautiful outdoorsy scent. With itís smooth clean malt flavors and a unique, complex nose, 5 Grass is like a refreshing walk in the wide open spaces.

In Aztec mythology, 5 Grass was the symbol of life. In this worldview, nature is not inanimate, but is filled with life. Every bug, every flower, every plant is alive and filled with a spirit; each relies on everything around it to sustain and create a living world. 5 Grass invites us to reflect that we are a part of this web of life and that there are forces in nature that can intervene in our lives, which we are best served by knowing and respecting. By knowing nature, we come to know ourselves

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
valpoaj (614) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - FEB 17, 2013
Pours a medium mahogany color - smallish head dissipates quickly into a film. Aroma is really odd...and I really canít claim to be too familiar with whatever spices are in here, but aside from loads of spice (I do seem to pick out pepper), thereís some smoke, burnt malt, and something else - an overall earthy feel to this brew - strange, and while not íwow, this is greatí, it is intriguing... Flavor is bitter and quite heavily smoked...the earthy feel continues here and I am quite honestly at a loss for what all is going on here...Iím neither falling for this beer, nor am offended by it. This truly reminds me of some smoked pork dish Iíve had in the past...if only that were of any help to allow me to figure out what is going on. Palate is medium bodied, lively carbonation. Well, what is there to say - I am happy I tried this one, though I am unlikely to seek another out...thatís about the best summary I can give!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HonkeyBra (3265) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - FEB 3, 2013
12 oz. bottle. Aroma of juniper, grass, spice, mild smoke, some pepper, some earth. Definitely a different smell. Lots of pine and floral notes as well. Flavor of grass, pine, strong juniper. Very earthy. This is a quite different ale. Itís nice, though. Medium body, lively carbonation. This is certainly different. Interesting stuff here, guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrnkMcDermott (2780) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2013
Draft at Tap House Grill, Westmont. Dark amber color with a thin but sturdy head. I smell a bit of fruit and think at once of the Nelson Sauvin hops I was introduced to recently. I now see the spice list in the description, but at the time, the only addition I could think of was maybe some lemongrass. A lingering bitter edge on the sides of my tongue. Sunny and complex hop and spice note. Some grassiness, some dried, bitter hops. Took me a while to finally notice the malt in the background: crisp like a lager, but still fully textured and sticky on the lips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstraw (1906) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Copper with creamy, off-white head / Nose of pine, burnt sugar, and herb / Light body, some sweetness and hoppy, a hint watery with only mild bite, and bitter finish / Bright flavors of cut pine, burnt sugar, juniper, and sage, with notes of orange and grapefruit / A pleasant, easy drinker.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ads135 (2814) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - NOV 4, 2012
The first impression of this beer is that it is way too much. Too much herbs, too sweet, to aggressive. The sweetness is berry(y), there is a lemongrass (like) and juniper character to the beer and it is all pretty strong. I wasnít sure if Iíd bee able to finish it. In the end, it was good. Tried with Matt and Nick at Old Town Social in Chicago in 2012.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Doghair (256) - Illinois, USA - OCT 19, 2012
Not much aroma. Clear orange with a white foam. Taste is very grassy & herbal. Not what I was expecting. Good carbonation. Generally not a flavor I enjoy. Definitely a unique beer. More beer please...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hombrepalo (1818) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 7, 2012
On tap at CBF. Yuck spices! Too much spices going on, tasted like a spice rack of sage, thyme, cloves, lavender and rosemary. Didnít enjoy it. Smells similar and is thin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kaser (2535) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Great looking clear bright orange pour (draft at cheesies) with thin head. Fruity and citrus aroma. Tangerine dominates the taste Very dry aftertaste and mild hops. Decent ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BVery (5969) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2012
Tap at Small Bar in Chicago. Pale gold pour with a white head. Nice juniper aroma. Rich flavor. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tmoreau (2311) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - SEP 11, 2012
On tap at the annual CBS picnic, and self served to clear plastic with a fairly clear, orangy amber hue, a nice bubbles & cream head, and wavy cling to the lacing. The aroma was interestingly herbal and spicy,(I immediately picked up on the juniper and sage) with some light grain and straw notes. The flavor was similar, maybe not as striking, adding a moderate bitterness that was lingering, earthy, and incorporated peppery, and dry characteristics. Light to medium bodied and well carbonated, I applaud the unique blend of herbs & spices, and couldnít have picked a better venue to display the beer. I agree with a Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer label.