RATINGS: 64   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
5 Grass is a refreshing yet substantial beer that is pale in color and nicely hoppy. With this beer, we wanted to invoke the brisk, clean aroma of the desert. The recipe makes use of three unique hop varieties as well as some carefully chosen herbs and spices - juniper, sage, and Tasmanian pepperberry, among others - to give a beautiful outdoorsy scent. With itís smooth clean malt flavors and a unique, complex nose, 5 Grass is like a refreshing walk in the wide open spaces.

In Aztec mythology, 5 Grass was the symbol of life. In this worldview, nature is not inanimate, but is filled with life. Every bug, every flower, every plant is alive and filled with a spirit; each relies on everything around it to sustain and create a living world. 5 Grass invites us to reflect that we are a part of this web of life and that there are forces in nature that can intervene in our lives, which we are best served by knowing and respecting. By knowing nature, we come to know ourselves

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
efdejesus (93) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 21, 2013
12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a light amber clear color. Looks beautiful. Aromas of grassy hops. Hops are apparent but not overpowering. Spices add some interesting flavors. Mouthfeel too light. Feels like no backbone to the beer. That was its critical downfall for me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
rxeight (2035) - Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2013
lots of spices in this one. i think itís ginger, maybe clove. I dont know why they called this a hoppy ale. Ive had hundreds of ales that were more hoppy than this one that did not advertise the fact. It smells like i just cut my grass, and not in a good way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
rumproasts (4290) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 12, 2013
Tap. Nice aroma. Copper with small head. Ginger beer. Nicely spiced with a little bite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
brian60625 (742) - Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2013
12 ounce bottle shared and poured in a shaker glass. The aromas are abundant - I got a full whiff of the juniper, pine, and sage. It was reminiscent of a spice shop. On the one hand the appearance was a beautiful copper-red color, but on the other there were practically no suds on top and even less lacing and bubble flow in the glass... A warning of a problems later on. Taste was more juniper, pine, black pepper, and sage spices, cilantro, and some sort of vegetable medley. The palate on this one really dragged it down. It was medium bodied and would seem capable of carrying the fun flavor package, but the lack of carbonation or sizzle made it all fall a little flat. Without the bubble action, the tastes unfortunately struck me as artificial. Overall, a decent and different beer thatís worth a try at least once, and would probably go well paired up with barbacoa, as pointed out on the bottle (those glassware and food pairing tips on the labels are always appreciated).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cmarron (5) - EVANSTON, Illinois, USA - FEB 18, 2013 does not count
Definitely a specialty Amber Ale beer. This beer includes a variety of malts, I believe a small portion of smoked malt and several herbs (White Sage, Sage, Rosemary, Lavender), imparting an unequivocal earthiness on this beer. Many I know have had a very dramatic first impression of the aromas and flavor, and a much different sensation on their second try. That is not unusual as your senses have a memory and expectation after the first time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
valpoaj (663) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - FEB 17, 2013
Pours a medium mahogany color - smallish head dissipates quickly into a film. Aroma is really odd...and I really canít claim to be too familiar with whatever spices are in here, but aside from loads of spice (I do seem to pick out pepper), thereís some smoke, burnt malt, and something else - an overall earthy feel to this brew - strange, and while not íwow, this is greatí, it is intriguing... Flavor is bitter and quite heavily smoked...the earthy feel continues here and I am quite honestly at a loss for what all is going on here...Iím neither falling for this beer, nor am offended by it. This truly reminds me of some smoked pork dish Iíve had in the past...if only that were of any help to allow me to figure out what is going on. Palate is medium bodied, lively carbonation. Well, what is there to say - I am happy I tried this one, though I am unlikely to seek another out...thatís about the best summary I can give!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HonkeyBra (3849) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - FEB 3, 2013
12 oz. bottle. Aroma of juniper, grass, spice, mild smoke, some pepper, some earth. Definitely a different smell. Lots of pine and floral notes as well. Flavor of grass, pine, strong juniper. Very earthy. This is a quite different ale. Itís nice, though. Medium body, lively carbonation. This is certainly different. Interesting stuff here, guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrnkMcDermott (2934) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2013
Draft at Tap House Grill, Westmont. Dark amber color with a thin but sturdy head. I smell a bit of fruit and think at once of the Nelson Sauvin hops I was introduced to recently. I now see the spice list in the deScription, but at the time, the only addition I could think of was maybe some lemongrass. A lingering bitter edge on the sides of my tongue. Sunny and complex hop and spice note. Some grassiness, some dried, bitter hops. Took me a while to finally notice the malt in the background: crisp like a lager, but still fully textured and sticky on the lips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstraw (1946) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Copper with creamy, off-white head / Nose of pine, burnt sugar, and herb / Light body, some sweetness and hoppy, a hint watery with only mild bite, and bitter finish / Bright flavors of cut pine, burnt sugar, juniper, and sage, with notes of orange and grapefruit / A pleasant, easy drinker.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ads135 (3690) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - NOV 4, 2012
The first impression of this beer is that it is way too much. Too much herbs, too sweet, to aggressive. The sweetness is berry(y), there is a lemongrass (like) and juniper character to the beer and it is all pretty strong. I wasnít sure if Iíd bee able to finish it. In the end, it was good. Tried with Matt and Nick at Old Town Social in Chicago in 2012.