5 Rabbit Paletas - Guava / Guayaba

overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 25   MEAN: 3.22/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   EST. CALORIES: 105   ABV: 3.5%
A beer that captures the summer fun of Paletas, the Spanish word for "popsicles". Brewed with Brazilian guava, pink peppercorn, tarragon and orange blossom water, this sessionable wheat beer is a more sophisticated alternative to shandies and radlers.

#1 - Guava with pink peppercorn and tarragon

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
Christpuncher (2061) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 5, 2015
this is just an an incredible beer. this blows away any radler out there. strong grapefruit tartness with a sort of sweet finish as well. the guava is an incredible balance. Pours pink with a white head. pink! just awesome on a hot day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ryecatcher (1030) - Bridgeport, Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 25, 2015
Bottle. Pours a bubblegum pink, turbid with substantial pinkish head, excellent retention. Nose is definitely guava-ish, smells like a Mexican fruit stand. Mouth is slightly fuller than a bottle of seltzer, and has slightly more flavor... in fact, if I didnít see the 3.5% ABV on the label, Iíd think I had bought a sixer of guava-infused seltzer water. Definitely refreshing, but nothing I would refer to as beer -- the least of all reasons having to do with the fact it looks and smells like one of my kidís scented magic markers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Frank (3469) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2015
Drinking this instead of orange juice for breakfast. It works. This looks pretty much exactly like red grapefruit juice but with a little bit of a head. It has a nice guava nose--I would call it "tropical fruit" if I did not specifically know there was guava in this--and a hint of bready yeast. The taste is nice too, albeit a bit watery, just slighty tart and a bit fruity, think pulp-free orange juice mixed with water. A prickle of carbonation compliments the acidity well. It finishes tart with maybe the barest hint of citrus rind bitterness. I am not getting any of the spices that are supposedly in this so I guess you might call their expression subtle. This is a striking beer on the shelf--its pink color displayed in clear glass twist-off soda bottles--and I think it achieves its aim of being a more sophisticated shandy type beverage. I kinda wish it was a bit less watery but otherwise the flavor is nice. For fruit beers from this brewery, I am going to continue drinking the excellent 5 Lizard.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tmoreau (2975) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - JUN 20, 2015
On tap at the Beer House Chicago in Lombard, IL. as a 5 oz. serving dispensed to a flight type glass, showing a cloudy, pink grapefruit juice look, with a very frothy layer of white head foam, and sheet-like spray to the lacing. The nose was tart, light spice, with tropical fruit as guava, but a more familiar scent as rhubarb. Light bodied, with lively spritz to the carbonation, the taste was tart & tangy, but less expressive as the aroma, adding just a hint of rind-like astringency. The flavor waned, but was quite refreshing otherwise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Oakes (13593) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 10, 2015
Very guava juice appearance, full of clouds, looks like pulque curado. Very guava taste, fizzy and thick like pulque. I didnít pick up the other flavour notes. Itís a fairly simple beer, really, and you have to like guava juice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jbruner (2984) - Athens, Georgia, USA - JUN 6, 2015
Pours a cloudy pink on tap with fluffy white head that leaves moderate lace. Aroma of sweet guava candy and wheat. Taste is literally like a guava paste that goes in a pastele, nuts. Not a lingering sweetness, dry finish, pretty good in my opinion.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Aurelius (4677) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 5, 2015
Sort of a plasticky, piney aroma. Reminded me of vinyl slipcovers. Pink, translucent with a pinky-white foam. Bland, plasticky, thin and nasty. Couldnít finish a sample. On tap, Baby Proof.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PorterPounder (6283) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 29, 2015
Tallahassee, Fl - Market Square Liquors - 12 oz clear bottle. Pours a grapefruit juice-looking bright pink/orange, light white head clings to the edge of the glass. Seeing as its from a clear bottle - reminds me of a Mexican soda. Aroma has some guava and grapefruit notes. Flavor has some of that same guava and grapefruit essence to it, a light bit of tonic water, some brief sweet tart candy. Thick enough mouthfeel,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Chudwick (2475) - Cincyucky, Kentucky, USA - MAY 19, 2015
A gift from one of the cousins from the barrio. Poured nicely onto my kitchen table as it spilled over my Bubba Gump Shrimp cup. Reminds me of a strawberry/guava desert I had as a kid. Poundable. Not exactly manly. Watery. sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrnkMcDermott (2911) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAY 18, 2015
Draft at Brixieís. Looks more like a mix of milk and grapefruit juice. But I guess thatís how itís supposed to turn out. What could it have but a big guava smell in the nose, with a bit of taunts that could be some PNW hops, even Amarillo. Wish I could claim the experience of having bought paletas off a sidewalk cart, but instead I have to take a stab at the experience. And itís like a fruity drink all right with an extra spiciness that I wonder about its source. Is fiasco spicy? Thereís no mention of the hops involved, and only this RB listing mentions the peppercorn and tarragon. Ah, so much I still need to learn; luckily Iím an eager student. Ask I can really say is that itís truly fruity, unexpectedly spicy, and delicious!