8 Wired UnderWired

8 Wired Brewing
Brewed at Renaissance Brewing

Style: Low Alcohol
Blenheim, New Zealand

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 66   ABV: 2.2%
How low can we go and still maintain big flavour? This is an experimental keg-only release, brewed to explore if it is possible to provide big flavour without the alcoholic kick of most our beers. Brewed with a very high percentage of various caramel malts and generously hopped with Pacifica, Athanum and Columbus.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
grapengrain (125) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - APR 11, 2011
Excellent for the style - obviously quite thin - and the caramalt dominated producing quite wheaten malt flavours... Other than that pleasingly aromatic and clean bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Vas (64) - NEW ZEALAND - FEB 20, 2011
On tap at Hashigo Zake. I’ve been dreaming of a sessionable IPA but I was a bit taken aback by the 2.2% ABV. Expecting an overly bitter piss weak ale I was enormously pleased and surprised by the overall effect. Can entirely vouch for the colour because of the HZ mood lighting, copper coloured I think. Big fruity, floral, citrus aroma like a standard IPA. Malt character on the thin side of normal for an IPA but with enough nutty, caramel flavour to stand up to the big hop flavour and bitterness. This is a revelation and if Soren can achieve this with 2.2% I can only hope he has a 3.5% hop monster up his sleeve!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheGrandMaster (2334) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 19, 2011
Draught at Galbraiths (Auckland). Looked a little muddy in the glass. A curious mixture, which grew on me as made my way down the glass. Some biscuitiness to the grain, with hops bringing a blend of orange and earthiness. The lack of alcohol to bring out more flavour and body is noticeable, but I’d put my hand up to be the sober driver more often if this was about.