overall
Brewed by Brasserie de l’Abbaye des Rocs
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Montignies-sur-Roc, Belgium

RATINGS: 1231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru has a rich, complex fruit aroma of cherries, golden raisins, peaches, and assorted dried fruit, laced with honey and caramel. Smooth, rich flavors reminiscent of cherries dipped in caramel, finishing with notes of dried chocolate, roasted almonds, and a hint of molasses.

MesandSim (7117) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 25, 2007
A Mes rate: 75cl bottle at Kerstfest, Essen.
Murky, dark caramel brown, the head vanished almost completely in about 20 seconds. Sweet malty aroma with brown sugar and caramel. More of the same in the flavour and just much too sweet for me. I’ve never gone mad for A.D.R. and I still can’t.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Davinci (295) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 15, 2008
Noteds from last year. 11.2oz bottle. Rich caramel brown color with aparent yeast sediment. Aromas of sweet dried fruits and chocolate, some burnt toast as well. A very chocolatey sweet flavor with notes of burnt toast, crushed pepper, and spice. Initially I found this beer too sweet but as it warmed and opened up a bit I really started to enjoy it.

restless7 (104) - Lenexa, Kansas, USA - FEB 17, 2008
BOTTLE: 11.2o. Hazy light brown with obvious sediment and beige head. Aroma is sweet and lemony with complex flavors not determined yet. Flavor is lemony with many hints of, well heck I can’t figure it out but it’s sweet, full body with long smooth finish. Kind of grew on me after the first few sips.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SamGamgee (2452) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - FEB 25, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2008 33cl bottle. Number one rating on my 21st birthday, and I absolutely loved the Brune by abbaye des rocs, so this was the call; from KNB in IV... Hazy brown with a beige head that laces; some sediment. Big sweet caramel and tart berry aroma. the flavor is intensely sweet with a citric tartness. Lots of caramel, berries, and some alcohol. Finishes bitter, and slightly reminiscent of sour patch kids. Full mouthfeel with soft carbonation. Leaned a little too much on the candy sweetness and tartness for me, and just lacked the superb balance that Iove about the brune.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
markextrae (2189) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 12, 2014
33cl bottle a while ago. poured a deep red to brown colour with a tan head. red cherrie notes, caramel, malts, some deep roast, good brew

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Wim (3165) - Weelde, BELGIUM - MAY 2, 2014
at my home dark brown with a red glow colored body with an off white head and a spicy hops malt aroma a malt hops bitter fruity taste with a bitter finish

UXO (869) - CANADA - OCT 21, 2014
Pours muddy particulate-laden brown with one finger of light beige head diminishing gradually to a thin cap, no lacing (3/5). Nose is brown sugar, plums and other dark fruit, spice, alcohol (7/10). Taste is moderate to strong sweet malt, moderate tart (7/10). Medium to heavy body, smooth, soft carbonation, with a gentle alcohol warming (4/5). Bit disappointed by this one. I wasn’t too perturbed by the muddy appearance or the particulate, but I was expecting more sour/tart presence. Instead, I’m getting a lot of malt sweetness, molasses / brown sugar, and raisins, but also an almost medicinal overtone. It’s certainly not working perfectly together for me. (15/20)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaBeer1972 (1472) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 12, 2014
Bottle from Manchester. Label is totally different. Poured into a snifter. Rated from the second glass. A deep opaque purplish brown with a frothy light tan head. Some floating yeast chunks in the bottom. Flavor is deep and earthy with well balanced sweetness and bitterness. Very smooth. Hard to tell it’s 9% plus. Could use a bit of something to spice it up a bit more though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gerardgathier (512) - - DEC 27, 2014
Currently I am updating my ratebeer with al the beers I drank but was too lazy to rate at the time. I give the scores I gave back than. If I drink the beers again I might re-rate them.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
huineman (423) - Madrid, SPAIN - MAY 11, 2015
Brown amber, frothy tan head. Smells of vanilla, banana, caramel, white pepper. Creamy, well-balanced. Quite sweet short ending.