overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 419   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Abita Bock is brewed with Perle hops and British pale and caramel malts. Our Bock is similar to a German Maibock in its high malt content, full body and slightly higher alcohol content. Available January-March.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - APR 8, 2007
Very similar overtones to the turbodog. Very malty with a carbonated finish with a small amount of hops. Sometimes this comes across as too sweet, but I like it nonetheless.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
cthulu81 (29) - Woodbridge, Virginia, USA - APR 6, 2007
So here is the deal. I sat down to do my taxes and got one of these Abita "beers" out of the fridge to accompany me. Honestly, I would rather do another tax return than have another of these. It is at times like this that I wish beer DIDNíT come in 6íers. That means I have to drink 5 more of the "bocks." What went so wrong for me? Well, first off it smells like wet grain and cardboard. Mmmm. It only gets better. Let me ask you this, just because Abita is located in Louisiana, does it have to make beer that tastes like swamp in a bottle? Just wondering. Dirty, sour and of no contest to Einbecker, HB or any other mai-bock out there. Now I just need to find a sink that will accept this pour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Clear dark amber body with a medium frothy white head. Sweet honey and caramel aroma. Sweet caramel and some roasted malt and graininess.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - MAR 23, 2007
Kinda nasty thick cloying beer without much carbonation. Could be worse though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dkoonce (911) - Peopleís Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2007
Pours a thick amber, without much of a head. Streams of carbonation from the sides of the glass. Heavy malt aroma, with perhaps a bit of hops cutting through. Fairly heavy, with a sweet, almost cloying quality. Long, lingering finish. Not much else. Shame Abita doesnít get more experimental with its beers. With such a long track record, they should look into marketing stouts, IPAs, and imperials.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
radagast83 (6948) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Bottle. "Mardi Gras Bock". Decent, but kind of plain. Sweeter than I initially expected, but decent none the less. My initial reaction was that I could tell this was an abita beer as it shared a bit of the "purple haze" taste when I first cracked into it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
ajolly2 (129) - USA - FEB 26, 2007
Mardi Gras Bock. Very bland hops with a slight hint at some form of malt (I canít say caramel because I can barely taste it); biscuit, grassy aroma; light body with much left to be desired on the palate and in the aftertaste; hazy copper appearance. Maybe itís because Carnival has just wrapped up down here, but I couldnít find myself getting excited about this brew. Nothing special about it, although I will say that the taste actually starts to grow on you ever so slightly with each sip.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - FEB 22, 2007
On tap at the Hard Rock in the big easy. This was a much better beer than the amber I tried, but thatís not really saying too much. Still the stark contrast between the two made for a better tasting of this beer than normal iíd say. The caramel malts balance great with the subtle german style hops. I havenít had much from this style but I think this sort of beer is my favorite german so far. Go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras and get this beer! :) Like the guy below me said, Let the good times roll!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerLover (1026) - DC Metro Area, USA - FEB 20, 2007
12 oz bottle. Pours to a beautiful, bright, deep golden color, with a nice, white head, that fades, and a good carbonation. The nose on this beer is excellent, with lots of good toasty and pale malt aroma. The palate is very polished, with really good toasty, light nutty, and pale malt flavor, on a round clean body. This beer finishes with more of those really great toasty and pale malt flavors, then ends some herbal hop balance to take some of the malty edge off this beer. Very well done, maibock, with really fantastic malt character in aroma and flavor. Great Madri Gras beer! Match this one with a big slice of King Cake, and Laissez les bons temps rouler!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drloveless (10) - Plano, Texas, USA - FEB 16, 2007
A nice malty Bock. Should be pleasing to malt-heads and is very drinkable. The only drawback is that tis beer is a little sweeter than I would like. Who cares it is Madi Gras time!!!