overall

RATINGS: 563   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 184   ABV: 6.13%
As befits any Christmas present, each years offering is a unique product crafted with special care. Generally, this beer is a dark ale, however, the recipe changes each year. Available November thru December.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
dlihcsnatas (587) - Texas, USA - OCT 27, 2013
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2013 *2012* I have got to quit taking a chance on this brewery. As with most everything they put out it has that dirt flavor to it. Not sure if that is from the water in thier area but everything they do has that muddy water taste. Other than that this one has an odd taste of something like licorish that just doesnít do it for me. Yet another big fail from Abita. -This is what I said last year- ..... Now for this year! OK forgot how bad this one was last year. Rated it as a 1 last year but by my mistake saw a sampler sitting there and grabbed it not looking over my notes. I think I was too much into the christmas spirit last year to call it a 1 because this is among the most awful tasting mess. Did the brewer scorch the batch? Did someone forget that clean water is a must? Why does this taste like burnt bread? NASTY! that is all I can say about it. Got to remember never buy Abita.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
rayg1 (586) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUN 20, 2010
This beer was strange, basically just a bolder and thicker amber. Honestly this beer was a bit of a let down and honestly really no different than most ambers. Light notes of burnt caramel and toasted nuts with a slightly bitter finish. Eh whatever.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - APR 9, 2004
This tastes and smells like a seasonal brew. It smells as good as its taste - which is pretty good, but nothing to rejoice too much over. Nutmeg and spice are apparent in the aroma and taste. My criticism of this beer is that, as with all of Abita's brews to my knowledge, it is a microbrew. This beer tastes like a microbrew and that is its major downfall. It could be really good - instead it's just good.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2006
05, I assume (different label from the one pictured - silver label). Clear dark amber pour with a generous rocky off white head. I can smell hops from 8" away from my glass. Grassy hop aroma, upon further inspection. As I swirl the beer and take a big whiff...YIKES!...I smell my nephew Alainís dirty diaper. Wait, let me try this again, maybe I am mistaken. DAMN. nope. still smells like dirty ass. Well, I guess I will try a little. Hope it doesnít taste like it smells. Tastes to me like an english pale ale. Kind of muted hop flavors, needs something to make them jump out at you. They are there, maybe just confined by that damn diaper, I donít know. Sweet malt along with hints of toasted malts. This could be a decent beer with a little tweaking, to bring those hops out better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 25, 2002

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PGHbeer77 (571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 19, 2012
Bottle. Iím not sure why this is a "Christmas" ale. It was pretty regular tasting. The aroma was a weak hop with a hint of vanilla, and the appearance was dark brown, a burnt toast. The palate was as a silky textured light body, and the taste was a bit malty, but mostly a hop finish. Overall, pretty underwhelming.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - JAN 17, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2008 sweet carmel and maybe molasses in the aroma. some spice, maybe a little choclate. a lot going on in the palate. too much. beer seems overly complicated, and i couldnt get a real feel for the flavor. alcohol didnt seem to be hidden at all, which brought it down for me. much like pecan harvest, i thought this was average, not necessarily bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ozzy70 (565) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 8, 2016
12 oz. bottle. Pours dark copper with tan head. Aroma was citrus, pine and pepper. Taste was sweet malts and peppery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jvmiller (558) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Light, had some crisp hops to it. Seemed more like a pale ale than christmas ale. Wasnít a whole lot of malty or anything like that. More crisp.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
doublebock (548) - California, USA - AUG 14, 2007
Cloudy orange appearance, sweet nose. Malty taste with orange peel. Piney blandish aftertaste. 28%??? Naw, the sweet maltiness deserves a better rating though it does not have the spicycomplexity of a xmas ale.