Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1295   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.58   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - DEC 11, 2004
You gotta be kidding me... Bud + grape soda = YUCK! Not much more to say... IT SUCKS!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
splink48 (35) - Fayetteville, Georgia, USA - DEC 6, 2004
On Tap: I don’t know about this beer. It poured a creamy peach color with no head. It tastes like fruit and wheat....just like its supposed to . It left me with no noticable aftertaste and left me not wanting another one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Megan (101) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 5, 2004
A hard one to get used to. I’ve had this a few times now, always only get it at the Mellow Mushroom. Flowery aroma, light brandy color. Cloudy and thin head. Bit on the fizzy side, flowery taste, subtle sweetness. Gentle sweet aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 5, 2004
Not too impressed. This tastes like a wheat beer with fruit extract dumped in - which, I see from the commercial deScription, is pretty much what it is. Although it claims to use raspberry puree, it tasted pretty artificial and jammy to me. The appearance was cloudy, orangey in colour - looked a bit like a cider. And the aroma was OK - I detected lots of raspberry and lots of other floral and fruity hints - banana, heather, lavender, honey. But it all went downhill once I tasted the stuff. Very odd sweet and sour notes intrude. The fruit and the wheat don’t seem well integrated. Soft and flabby finish. On tap at the Green Leafe Cafe, Williamsburg VA.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 3, 2004
whew, i just don’t know about this one! Hey I like Hendrix as much as the next guy but this beer is too far out for me. Although i appreciate the uniqueness...is this beer infused or what? Its not too fake tasting, loved the hazy cloudy color, refreshing too. In the right mood i could probably really enjoy it. I would have probably loved this beer in high school.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
heemer77 (5196) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 30, 2004
A very dense white head tops a cloudy and golden body. Aroma has lemons and a touch of the raspberries. The taste was definitely raspberries with a refreshing wheat finish. I actualy like this more than most American wheats. A nice summer brew. Funny that I like this so much considering that I detest cherry wheats.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Silphium (3190) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - NOV 25, 2004
Cloudy orange body, thin off-white head. Tangy wheat aroma, some bitter earthy elements, and light raspberry. Flavor is tangy and somewhat soapy with wheat and light raspberry; this beer reminds me of a raspberry-flavored sparkling water. Weak body, highly carbonated.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ernest (6839) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 19, 2004
Head is initially small, frothy, off-white, mostly diminishing. Body is hazy light amber, bottle conditioned. Aroma is lightly malty (toasted grain), with light notes of raspberry and dish rag. Flavor is moderately sweet, moderately acidic. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Light to medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation. Mostly inoffensive, but bland and kinda has a little of that dirty dish rag smell that New Belgium Frambozen has.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
hobyjack (4) - Baden, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 13, 2004 does not count
I had this on my honeymoon in N. O. It seemed like an interesting beer but not much taste. The other Abita’s are far better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - NOV 7, 2004
Man.. it’s drinkable, but overall it just seems to me like someone melted a popsicle in a coors... So-so.