overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1230   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.57   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 18, 2004
Ahk! Another fruit beer! This actually tasted like a raspberry popsicle on the first sip. I thought this would be good considering I like the other Abita brews, and that I normally always see Purple Haze stocked, but I have say this fell below my expectations. Nothing going on here except for some radioactive raspberries and just a tiny hint that you are drinking a wheat beer. And I have to say I am not agreeable with this combination. Also, I sensed some "cardboard" taste in my sample...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
IDogg (72) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 11, 2004
The color is orange and cloudy, like a good wheat beer should be. Nothing special until you smell it. The aroma is strong and pleasant. I almost rather sit for a half hour and smell it than drink it. The taste is fruity and the raspberry is a nice change. Interesting palate b/c out of a glass it is nice and mild, but out of a bottle it is awful. A good beer to try but not as enjoyable as Abita Amber.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
skaughty (643) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - FEB 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2006 Pours a hazy light orange/amber color. Raspberry aroma is quite pleasant. Taste is interesting, but this is one of the few beers that seems to NOT get better as the glass is less full. Kinda like Michelob Hefe, with authentic raspberry flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
djrevnoir (26) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 28, 2004
Nose is what one would expect from a raspberry wheat beer. Slight pink tint, white head, disappears quickly. Minimal raspberry flavour, lots of wheat in the finish. Typical palate, a bit too much carbonation. I bought this because I had an excellent microbrew raspberry wheat in the last year and I was hoping to find something similar... this is a sore dissapointment.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SpringsLicker (3127) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 22, 2004
This is both a fruit beer and a "gimmick" beer which is how I categorize anything that tries to grab market share with it's name, label or special unnecessary ingredient. Fair beer but not for me thanks. Try the Turbo Dog instead.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2004
Light amber color, sweet malty nose. Mild berry flavor a bit too carbonated.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Suttree (5130) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 19, 2004
Cloudy yellowish red. Big head, but it disappears quickly. Raspberry and wheat beer aroma. Mild raspberry and blueberry flavors, slight hop bite at the finish. Not very impressive.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 16, 2004
Tap. This beer smelled like girly hand soap. weird. Cloudy wheat beer looked inviting, but tasted like poo. I had this beer several times before and don't remember it tasting bad at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Cool name. Cloudy amber with white frothy head and some lacing. Sweet raspberry aroma. Sparkling mouth feel and some hint of raspberry to the flavor. Pleasant and refreshing but nothing special. This Purple Haze did not cast a spell on me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tennmonkey (11) - USA - JAN 12, 2004
I love this one when I can find it on tap. Malty and sweet. I don't know the inspiration behind this one, but if the Hendrix song had a flavor, it would be this beer