overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1236   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.57   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
JohnDo2000 (99) - Metairie, Louisiana, USA - OCT 6, 2002
Seriously, Iím rating this beer this higly because it is just that good. It is my favorite beer and I think you should give it a shot. Itís a wheat beer (Golden to be exact), so donít expect a very robust taste. It has an added rasberry flavor to it, which I found a bit unnerving before I tried it but very appealing after my first sip. One problem, however, is the inconsistancy with the brew. Sometimes it has a lighter rasberry flavor, and sometimes it has a much more present rasberry flavor. If you donít like it the first time you try it, try it again a month or so later and you might have a brew from a different batch. The batches from the kegs tend to have a much more present rasberry taste and a smoother feel to it. But to put it succinctly, Iíll order this beer anytime I see it in a bar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Nuffield (3671) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2002
I tend to enjoy fruit beers, and although this one is definitely on the "annoying" side of the spectrum, itís worth a look. Light-ish color and sugar sweet, I didnít pick "raspberry" out when I didnít know it was a raspberry beer. A bit too fizzy. (on tap, Flying Saucer, Addison, TX)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JBWalters3 (26) - USA - SEP 23, 2002

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
I usually like fruit beers, but this one was disappointing. Not much taste. Strong aroma of raspberry, and faint aftertaste. Very watery beer. Not much taste at all. Iíve also noticed that there seems to be a wide variation of color. Mine is very pale yellow with a hint of orange.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 17, 2002
Well, I really didnít smell any raspberry, and I just caught a little bit of it in the flavor. There was some bitterness up front, and then nothing. The flavor actually disappeared. I donít really like fruit beers anyway.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2207) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 15, 2002
Not a big fan of fruit beers, I did not expect much from Purple Haze. But, turns out itís Abitaís most quality offering. Has a nice light reddish hue, with a white frothy head. Subtle, yet unmistakable, rasberry aftertaste. Done in moderation, the rasberry is tastefully done, and as such, is quite tasty. A very solid bery; nice mix of sweetness and creaminess. Do not be afraid.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
TheBeerGod (5251) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2002
My friends love this stuff. They are the college variety meat heads, however. This is horrible beer. It has raspberries in it but I didnít taste or smell any fruit in it on draft. Tasted like crap on draft, by the way. Not recommended at all. Itís cheap and I think thatís why they drink it. Purpleish brown in color, like someoneís vomit and smells about as bad. Wasnít sweet at all and seemed almost flat. I thought it was the keg the first time but have had it again and it still tastes the same. Maybe itís better in the bottle, but Iíll never know...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - SEP 3, 2002
Quickly dissapating head, and a hazy honey color. Rasberries in the nose and a thin mouthfeel. Rasberry is a bit cloying. Malt starts to assert itself as it warms. Could use a bit of work.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 1, 2002
My first impression was MGD with raspberry, but it improved as a palate got used to it. The beer taste soften and a good fruit flavor was left.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
kumite56 (471) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Fizzy, weak beer. Not worth drinking