overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1263   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.57   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - JUN 10, 2002
Mmm...raspberry candy in my beer! Nose is raspberry candy and the start is that same artificially flavored candy taste. Yes, the finish is dry, but it doesn’t make up for that horrid initial splash on the tongue. Wheat beer? Looks more like PBR.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUN 8, 2002
Damn. Why do they use raspberry flavored Robitussin? Absolutely THE last time I will drink this. So many breweries use artificial fruit flavoring and the consumer can tell. Terrible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 3, 2002
The name of course is the shee-ot. Otherwise I think this is a pretty good bear. I like a little more taste but this beer has a subtle raspberry flavor that isn’t overly sweet and sugary tasting. A good choice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
NeroFiddled (105) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2002
You may remember the good times from N’awlin’s but that’s about all this beer has going for it! Not much aroma but it has a nice malt base, a slight raspberry flavor. The fruit also gives it a gentle tartness which works pretty well. One more thing; I need to dispel the myth that this is a woman’s beer. It’s a fact guys - a sad and sorry fact - that more men drink this than women!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Not raspberries detected in the aroma and this tasted like blue moon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
samustdog (73) - USA - MAY 24, 2002
Very nice raspberry taste to this beer, the aroma is also very sweet. The beer overall is very satisfying, and leaves a pleasant taste in the drinker’s mouth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - MAY 17, 2002
Enjoyed one of these on draft. Pleasant, but not too overwhelming, rasberry aroma and taste. A bartender told me that women tend to like this one. I disagree with the rater who called this an alcopop - this is beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
djbuddha (90) - Many, Louisiana, USA - MAY 3, 2002
I found that I liked this beer much better than I thought that I would. My girlfriend originally bought it because she thought she would like it. It poured a lightish amber color and I noticed a fair amount of bubbles rising to the top. It poured a barely noticeable head that was gone within a few seconds. For a lighter beer the taste was great, and as vacek says below me, it does have a bit of a bite but goes down smooth. I think I could definately buy some more of this in the future.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
JFGrind (1883) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2002
When I first heard of this beer I thought it would be a rasberry flavored stout or porter. To my surprise it was a rasberry flavored wheat beer. At first I did not care for the taste, but quickly warmed to the flavor. An interesting beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
vacek (67) - College Station, Texas, USA - APR 23, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2003 Better than expected. Fruity flavor as advertised but not enough to over power the entire beer. Bit of bite at the finish. Much more flavor when had on tap.