overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1290   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.58   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
Abita Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with fresh raspberries added during secondary fermentation. Subtle coloration, fruity aroma and tartly sweet taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jaymobrown (1741) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2002
Draught: Sweet, and thatís about it. Didnít find much excitement here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jaseonem99 (19) - USA - OCT 18, 2002
couldnít taste the raspberry or the wheat

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DuffManOhYeah (133) - USA - OCT 17, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2003 An excellent wheat beer with a hint of raspberries. Just based on beliefs, a beer that is flavored with fruit is not as good as a great regular beer, but this comes awfully close. I enjoy this every time I have it.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - OCT 10, 2002
Drain Pour--Taste like bad soda water, it is awful, I ought to have known better than purchase this beer ,as I neither like raspberry nor wheat, thin pale orange looking, smell reminds me of walking through the Zoo on a hot day, RUN do not walk and pour this DOWN THE DRAIN !

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
JohnDo2000 (99) - Metairie, Louisiana, USA - OCT 6, 2002
Seriously, Iím rating this beer this higly because it is just that good. It is my favorite beer and I think you should give it a shot. Itís a wheat beer (Golden to be exact), so donít expect a very robust taste. It has an added rasberry flavor to it, which I found a bit unnerving before I tried it but very appealing after my first sip. One problem, however, is the inconsistancy with the brew. Sometimes it has a lighter rasberry flavor, and sometimes it has a much more present rasberry flavor. If you donít like it the first time you try it, try it again a month or so later and you might have a brew from a different batch. The batches from the kegs tend to have a much more present rasberry taste and a smoother feel to it. But to put it succinctly, Iíll order this beer anytime I see it in a bar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Nuffield (3836) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2002
I tend to enjoy fruit beers, and although this one is definitely on the "annoying" side of the spectrum, itís worth a look. Light-ish color and sugar sweet, I didnít pick "raspberry" out when I didnít know it was a raspberry beer. A bit too fizzy. (on tap, Flying Saucer, Addison, TX)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JBWalters3 (26) - USA - SEP 23, 2002

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
I usually like fruit beers, but this one was disappointing. Not much taste. Strong aroma of raspberry, and faint aftertaste. Very watery beer. Not much taste at all. Iíve also noticed that there seems to be a wide variation of color. Mine is very pale yellow with a hint of orange.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 17, 2002
Well, I really didnít smell any raspberry, and I just caught a little bit of it in the flavor. There was some bitterness up front, and then nothing. The flavor actually disappeared. I donít really like fruit beers anyway.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2299) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 15, 2002
Not a big fan of fruit beers, I did not expect much from Purple Haze. But, turns out itís Abitaís most quality offering. Has a nice light reddish hue, with a white frothy head. Subtle, yet unmistakable, rasberry aftertaste. Done in moderation, the rasberry is tastefully done, and as such, is quite tasty. A very solid bery; nice mix of sweetness and creaminess. Do not be afraid.