hopsaddict (6) - USA - APR 9, 2007
3.5 AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 7/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 14/20
Pleasant aroma, satisfyingly opaque. I donít understand why people are so down on this beer -- the raspberry more than covers up any deficiencies in the wheat beer base of Purple Haze. Like most wheat beers, the taste is by no means complex, though complexity and satisfaction need not be synonymous. I find this brew refreshing and satisfying, and, when Iím in the mood for a wheat beer, find myself purchasing this particular beer 20% of the time -- the other 80% being split between paulaner hefeweizen and hoegaarden. Though those two brews outclass this particular brew, this brew is unique and is always a crowd pleaser.
KeefOz (951) - Tarragindi, AUSTRALIA - NOV 22, 2014
2.3 AROMA 6/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 6/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 5/20
BB 29/7/15. Poured a cloudy amber colour with a two-finger white frothy head that diminished quickly to virtually nothing. No lace. Aroma initially of sourish malt with a hint of possibly fruit; no obvious hops. Taste tarty to start with but sweet raspberry fruit came through as it warmed. Light body. Bit of a spicy finish that got sweeter as it warmed.
Rosslew (235) - AUSTRALIA - NOV 8, 2014
3.1 AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 13/20
Raspberries come through early on nose and first taste. Bit watery and easy on mouthfeel. Can see it living up as fruit beer. Light. 1.3std drinks, 12oz, 4.2%.
---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone
jonnyguns (1044) - AUSTRALIA - NOV 6, 2014
2.1 AROMA 4/10 APPEARANCE 2/5 TASTE 4/10 PALATE 2/5 OVERALL 9/20
Just a woeful attempt at making a grape driven beer, so disorientated and the flavours are muddled.
George999 (96) - Colorado, USA - OCT 26, 2014
2.7 AROMA 4/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 3/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 10/20
Cloudy Amber color, cannot smell an aroma, Sweet almost coolaid like grape flavor, it is ok
slowrunner77 (6019) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 17, 2014
2.3 AROMA 5/10 APPEARANCE 2/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 2/5 OVERALL 9/20
"an ok, but standard entry into the berry-wheat catergory. nothing new here. not bad, not good. refreshing on a hot summer day, but thatís about it."
BucannonXC5 (910) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 16, 2014
3.2 AROMA 6/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 7/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 13/20
Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Karl Strauss pint glass
From: Albertsonís in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $1.67 ($9.99 for a mix 6-pack)
Purchased: Oct. 11, 2014
Consumed: Oct. 11, 2014
Misc.: Best by Jan. 1, 2015
Poured a grapefruit juice, straw hazy color with one finger of gray lacing. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass in bubbling streams. Poor lacing along the sides of the glass. Minimal retention. (Sight - 3.38)
Smelled grape, dark raspberry, blueberry, black cherry, slight blackberry, wheat grass and grape Sweet Tarts. (Smell - 3.38)
Tasted much better than the smell. Got dark raspberry, blueberry, Smuckerís raspberry jam, black cherry, purple grape, honey wheat, Sweet Tarts and blackberries. (Taste - 3.88)
Light body. Thin texture. Average-to-soft carbonation. Long, fruity, refreshing finish. (Feel - 3.75)
For the style this was decent. Iím a sucker for fruity beers. I donít know where this ranks with the others, but it was OK. Iíd have it again. (Overall - 3.75)
3.72 84 B
jeffbigD (28) - - OCT 12, 2014
3.3 AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 7/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 12/20
A nice blend of beer and berries. Smooth tasting with a rich after taste. Amount the better berry flavored brews.
outlawskies (428) - - OCT 12, 2014
3 AROMA 6/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 6/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 12/20
Julie remembers and remembers she's not crazy about this fake rasberry flavor. Bit watery. Julie gives 1.8
---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone
Davros (1999) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - OCT 1, 2014
2.5 AROMA 6/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 2/5 OVERALL 9/20
Pours amber with a fading head.
Nose shows raspberries and raspberry jam alongside some soft sweet malt. A little artificial seeming.
Flavours include cardboar malt notes, cereal grains and a raspberry lolly character.
Body feels watery, carbonation is much too low.
closey22 (935) - Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, USA - SEP 27, 2014
3.5 AROMA 7/10 APPEARANCE 3/5 TASTE 8/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 14/20
Hazy amber with slight pink hues and no head; aroma is grainy and slightly fruity sour; Flava is malty yet dry and hints of tart wildberry fruit; feels light crisp dry; finishes dry and fresh grainy