overall

RATINGS: 1558   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopscotch (10563) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2003
I guess I'll go slightly against the grain here. This beer rocks! Sparkling clear, beautiful deep ruby ale. Large, rocky, mostly lasting tan head. Spiraling, dripping lacework. Vineous aroma with notes of milk chocolate, buttermilk and coffee. The flavor is chocolatey and sweet with lots of toasted malts and whispers of coffee and vanilla. Balanced fairly nicely. A bit astringent. Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and lively carbonation. Medium-length, chewy, astringent and bitter finish. Damn nice brown ale! World class and underrated!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 15, 2003
Not a bad brown ale but nothing special. Toffee, coffee and malt flavor. Finishes malty, dry, and clean.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - AUG 13, 2003
I haven't had this one for a long time, and I was expecting that my previous experience, from years ago when I liked it, would be dimmed by all the beer I've been tasting lately. However, I still think that it is very good. It does not taste like a brown ale; rather, it tastes like a bock, specifically one of those Italian style double bocks. I enjoy that style a lot, so I enjoyed this beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
This stuff sucks. They should call this Turboshwag. Swells like dirty mopwater. Taste is tobacco and pepper. Actually tastes like a cigarrete butt that's been floating around in beer for a while. This is my friends favorite. I'm going to have to get her to drink more beer. I don't think I'm going to finish it. I rated aroma a 2 because a 1 is reserved for the smell of shit. Drain pour. It think this might scar me for a while.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
beerking99 (199) - Virginia, USA - AUG 5, 2003
Aroma is faint, and mostly toffe-like. Color is more black than brown. Like a Swartz beer. Faint head. Seems a little thin for style. Flavor is toffe-like malt up front, with some fading hops following. Aftertaste is sweet toffee, but fades fast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 4, 2003
More of a black ale than a brown ale. Abita's unique water supply gives this one a unique taste. Not very big-bodied considering the color. Hoppier than I expected, drinkable and not that bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 1, 2003
Beautiful, dark brown color, nice head, tasty, chocolate/carmel malt falvor. Very good, actually.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jerkadilly74 (155) - mooresville, Indiana, USA - AUG 1, 2003
I relly enjoyed this brew. Had that wonderful dark chocolate caramel finish that keeps you cozy on a cold winters day. I was suprised to learn this was brewed in Louisiana, the Busch Light capital of the world.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
igneous1 (1531) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - JUL 31, 2003
color is deep brown/plum mixture. thin almond colored head. bread dough present in aroma, slight coffee in the flavor. had a bit of a nasty sour little finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUL 17, 2003
A pale brown hue with good rocky head and no lacing. Coffee, toffee, and nutty aroma, nints of some spice and citrus. Very bland taste, not much going on here. Short sweet finish. Watery and fizzy mouthfeel. Medium bodied. A very average brew, okay to try once and then move on to something better.