overall

RATINGS: 1491   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 184   ABV: 6.13%
Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerguy101 (5294) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 12, 2002
Dark brown color, medium head. Roasted malts, slightly hoppy. Nicely balanced. Lighter bodied, but full flavored. Nice malt flavor. Mouthfeel is a little thin but tolerable.Finish is clean. Aftertaste is somewhat malty and slightly bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 11, 2002
Dark brown with reddish edges and a nice tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts and caramel. Toffe taste in middle and at the finish. Great name.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 9, 2002
Dark brown color - good for a brown ale. Dark fruit and a decent amount of roast. Nice brown.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - OCT 6, 2002
Dark cherry color, some head, white head. Some say feolic aromas I say yogurt culture bacteria. Slightly alcoholic which is normal at 6.1 %?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
PTomkinson (50) - Virginia, USA - OCT 3, 2002
I’m quite disappointed with this beer. Very sweet, medicinal flavor. Possibly, I purchased a bad 6-pk. I will re-rate when I purchase it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
notalush (5000) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 27, 2002
This very much reminds me of Dixie Blackened Voodoo, but maybe a bit better. I’m not too sure about that "chocolate-toffee" flavor. It may be there, but it is very slight. This has a nice, roasty finish, even if it doesn’t linger on the palate as long as I would like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
This is not what Emeril Lagasse makes it out to be. Dark in color, but not that impressive...rather thin body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - SEP 24, 2002
I was quite surprised... I stared at the tap displaying ’Turbodog’ for some time and after a few beers thought, ’why not?’ I sampled it at the wonderful Berkley Front in Berkley, MI. Then I just had to order one. There is just such a nice feel to this beer. Dark, subtle flavors, but drinks much thineer than it is and leaves the palate decently clean. I will certainly have this again. I’m lowering the rating slightly... I had it again, and it’s a nicely crafted beer, but I think I got a bit excited when I rated it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 15, 2002
I see this is the highest rated non-seasonal Abita beer on ratebeer.com. I don’t think it’s as good as the Purple Haze, and is very average in its Brown Ale category. The taste is of roasted malt, with some hints of coffee. Just a little sour in the after-taste; in that way, reminds me of Mendocino Brewing’s Black Hawk Stout. But, a Brown should be sweeter, where Turbo Dog is a bit too dry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20