RATINGS: 1536   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts. This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
notalush (5512) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 27, 2002
This very much reminds me of Dixie Blackened Voodoo, but maybe a bit better. I’m not too sure about that "chocolate-toffee" flavor. It may be there, but it is very slight. This has a nice, roasty finish, even if it doesn’t linger on the palate as long as I would like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
This is not what Emeril Lagasse makes it out to be. Dark in color, but not that impressive...rather thin body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - SEP 24, 2002
I was quite surprised... I stared at the tap displaying ’Turbodog’ for some time and after a few beers thought, ’why not?’ I sampled it at the wonderful Berkley Front in Berkley, MI. Then I just had to order one. There is just such a nice feel to this beer. Dark, subtle flavors, but drinks much thineer than it is and leaves the palate decently clean. I will certainly have this again. I’m lowering the rating slightly... I had it again, and it’s a nicely crafted beer, but I think I got a bit excited when I rated it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ElGaucho (2329) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 15, 2002
I see this is the highest rated non-seasonal Abita beer on ratebeer.com. I don’t think it’s as good as the Purple Haze, and is very average in its Brown Ale category. The taste is of roasted malt, with some hints of coffee. Just a little sour in the after-taste; in that way, reminds me of Mendocino Brewing’s Black Hawk Stout. But, a Brown should be sweeter, where Turbo Dog is a bit too dry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 10, 2002

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JFGrind (1935) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 9, 2002
Well retained head, slightly hopped, dark brown color. Excellent example of a Brown Ale. One thing I could not taste was the coffee flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 2, 2002
Had to order this one... Who wouldn’t sample a beer named Turbo Dog? This beer reminded me a lot of Negra Modelo in the respect that it pours like a much thicker, substancy beer but is actually very light for its color. I didn’t get the chocolate/toffee vibe from this one, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GABeerMan (48) - HOSCHTON, Georgia, USA - AUG 25, 2002
Very dark. Slight chocolate aroma and taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ARMed (625) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2002
Unbelievably suprised. Very good beer. A must for all to try. Wonderful pour with a thick brown head. AS little smell of burnt caramel but fantastic taste. Smooth not sweet. Perfect with a nice porterhouse steak with a side of crab meat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 24, 2002
The best I’ve tried from Abita. Could use more body on the mouth feel. Nice dark color with a chocolat taste.