overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 789   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
While for the classic "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier" traditionally beech has been - and still is - used, the malt for "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke" is kilned with Oak wood. The resulting Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt has a smoother and more multi layered smoky note than the intensely aromatic Beech Smoke Malt. The hence complex smokiness in the "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke" is paired with the multifaceted bitterness of finest Hallertau aroma hops. With 8% alcohol and amber color it matures for months in the deep brewery cellars underneath Bamberg into a special treat for smoke beer lovers. www.Smokebeer.com

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Skinnyviking (7179) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 10, 2010
Bottle. Medium high fluffy white head. Hazy yellow body. Aroma where the wood competes with the smoke of be the dominent part. The goes for the flavor. Smoke is somewhat subdued but the balance is very good. Alcohol well hidden. Low carbonation. Long aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PorterPounder (5654) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 10, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl - New Leaf Market - 500 ml bottle. Pours a slightly murky dark orange with a thin, but sticky white head that leaves a slight trail of lacing. Enticing aroma of smoked meats and maple syrup - smells like a smokehouse. Flavor is full bodied and bold. Plenty of smoked ham goodness, some sweet molasses, a hint of dates, a hint of wood. Mouthfeel is thick enough to match the flavor. Excellent smoked beer - the smokiness doe snot override the original beer flavor but rather enhances it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hermod (3415) - Vantaa, FINLAND - DEC 10, 2010
Bottle from RexTalionis, thx! Poured copper color with a light beige looking head. Really intense smoke aroma, delicious. The smoked ham flavor is almost covering the rest of the flavors, but I also noticed some wood flavors and sweetness towards finish. Great beer again from Heller, but I prefer the märzen and Urbock over this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 9, 2010
Pours bright golden with a fully receding off-white head. Notes of smoke, oak, cured meats, earthy, charred toffee, dusty malt. Full bodied lightly sticky with soft carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 9, 2010
Bottle. Pours a fairly transparent bronze color with thin, bright white suds thrown haphazardly above. RIch, Meaty, and smokey nose with an underlying woody sour twang around the camp smoke edges. The mouthfeel was somewhat syrupy with fairly low carbonation. The flavors were decently smokey but more of a smokey wood flavor than smokey meaty, I would say...I think...I mean, they can interchange, but I’m getting smokey wood more than meat here. Redundancy. Yes. No. Ok. All in All, Flavors are nice enough but I’m neither digging the overall syrupy texture nor the low carbonation, and both of those attributes here are bringing down the experience for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RexTalionis (2599) - FINLAND - DEC 8, 2010
Bottle. Poured deep copper brown colour with a tan head. Aroma is smoke, smoked beef and charred wood. Flavour is at first very intense smoke and smoked meat. Smooth and as it gets warmer the smoke is still there but not as overwhelming as it was at first. Smoked sweetness detected in the end. A great one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Skvader (114) - Malmö, SWEDEN - DEC 7, 2010
Really good smoke beer! The oak notes are very present and gives a new dimension to the smokyness which becomes more reminiscent of smoky Whiskey than of meat and sausages as the original

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
NachlamSie (2796) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 6, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2013 Bottle from 5 points bottle shop. Had my first bottle a couple weeks back at a better temperature and it was everything I would expect from Schlenkerla. This particular glass I’ve poured myself is a little too cold. It seems sweeter with more vegetal esters and less smokiness, not at all the amazing brew I indulged in last time. I am noticing how low the carbonation is in this. No head remains. As the brew comes up in temp, that lovely campfire, barbecue-like smoke gains strength. This was supposed to be a departure from the marzen or urbock, but it’s not much of one. I certainly can’t complain. The smoke is similar to beechsmoke, still meaty and lingering. This strongly reminds me of their urbock, maybe just slightly fruitier. Absolutely wonderful smoked offering when served closer to cellar temperature.
[November 28, 2013]
Bottle from Argonaut. I am sad to say that it has been far too long since my last taste of Schlenkerla. My recent disappointment in a few American smoked beers lead me to return to the roots of the style. I can safely continue to maintain that Aecht Schlenkerla makes the world’s finest smoked beers with no one else even in contention. I almost weep tears of joy upon sipping this beautiful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mad_Ferret (658) - SWEDEN - DEC 6, 2010
Clear quite deep amber colour with off-white soapy head. Aroma is smoky sausage, some fruit and hops. Makes me hungry. Taste is rich sweet, caramel, dried fruit, spicy hops, malty, oily. Warming alcohol that doesnt go over the top. Oh I can definitely see this with cheese.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
nickd717 (3562) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 6, 2010
500ml bottle from K&L Redwood City. Pours a surprisingly light copper color with a small white head that has average retention. The aroma is smoked ham sandwich on rye, not an uncommon smell for me to pick up in Aecht Schlenkerla beers. Some sweet malty notes back it up. The flavor is rather typical for beers from these guys. Sweet pale malt, caramel, and a hammy intense smokiness. Pretty nice mouthfeel, smooth with medium-plus body and average carbonation. Long smoky meaty finish that sticks with you. Overall, nothing really wowed me, and I’ll say I like the Urbock better.