overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2200   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 17, 2006
Nice red apperance witha medium light brown head. Heavy smoked aromas, similar to smoked ham or bacon, very nice. Meat and malt flavors, again a smoked ham type quality, which combine very well with the hops. Good smooth ending.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2006
I just think it’s phenomenal what they can do with malts and whatever else went into this beer. It’s insane. Like chewing on a meat lovers pizza (minus the cheese and crust). Very very smoked.. like summer sausage actually.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2006
I love this liquid smoky link...and that’s coming from a vegetarian. Intense smoke/bacon/smoky link/roasted malt/wood barrel/caramel/and on and on. Pairs wonderfully with spicy foods like Cajun or BBQ or smoked cheeses. Brilliant effort.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Frazzy (2) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 9, 2006 does not count
Bottle from the LCBO. Wow, now this ain’t exactly your ordinary, run of the mill beer. Just imagine soda water, bacon, and pipe tobacco poured into a blender! Haha ok, that’s an exaggeration, but you get the drift. I was bracing myself to be fully disgusted by this based on the account of a fellow beer snob friend of mine, but much to my shock I didn’t recoil in horror with my face distorting into all sorts of unpleasant expressions upon the first sip. If anything, I wound up finding this an interesting, surprisingly drinkable take on the concept of beer, if not exactly delicious. This experimental beer strikes me as something typically German, and my timing couldn’t have been better as I drank it along to a meal of sauerkraut, dumplings, and pork hock! Needless to say, it fit in beautifully given the context and I actually enjoyed it. Still, it’s more of a novelty beer that I wouldn’t drink with any real regularity. I’d save it for moods when I’m craving something different.

puzzl (3254) - New York, New York, USA - FEB 9, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2007 Very smokey, hickory bacon aroma. Like huffing a charcoal grill. Works well for the aroma but a little too much in the taste. Certainly unique but really you taste nothing more than the intense smokiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 6, 2006
This beer is bottled bacon. Everything about it is smokey. Pours dark mahogany with a decent tan head. Aroma is...smoked bacon. The taste is...smoked bacon. There is some decent malt flavor and it does drink very smoothly. I might have this again if I’m having meat and cheese for dinner. It is pretty good, but I can’t really see drinking this on a regular basis.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
gunnfryd (11192) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - FEB 5, 2006
Bottled. smells like an accident with a fire place. Golden dark brown colour. smoked flavour. smoked bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2006
smells like beef fuckin jerkey, hardcore beef jerkey. kind of smooth up front with a huge meaty vibe to it, just like beef jerkey. very smoked jerkey at that. weird. dogs should drink this shit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beer4000 (4614) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - FEB 1, 2006
50cl bottle. Clear mahogany colour with a fair lasting creamy head. An overwhelming smoked aroma makes it difficult to smell anything else. Reminds my a bit of smoked meat or sauces. Quite light, a bit oily and easy drinkable beer actually, but the smell is almost to much. A loooong smoked finish. Definitively a very nice experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 30, 2006
Pours a deep reddish brown with thin bubbly off-white head that fades down to swirls. Nose is very smokey almost like a camp fire kind of smell. Flavor is at first a little sweet, then comes the same smokiness from the nose, all in all the smoke aroma and flavor is pleasing, just hangs around a little too long. Give me this beer and some fresh grilled meat and I’d be in heaven.