Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2372   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ARMed (625) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 2, 2007
My favorate of all the Schlenkerla beers I have had. This was an excellent smoked beer with a smooth taste and wonderful appeal. The smokey flavor was evident but not over abundant. Fluffy beigh head with small frothy bubbles covers this dark brownish bock beer. Rich and creamy flavor with a malty undertone. Not overly sweet. Excellent palate with a great finish. I really loved this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 29, 2007
Bottle. Pours dark reddish brown. Aroma is strong smoked meats, especially bacon. This transfers to the flavor, but there is also a nice sweet note, almost like sugar cured ham, and a finish that is slightly bitter. I’d like to try thier Rauchbier Urbock next.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
SHIG (4060) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - JAN 28, 2007
Bottle: Poured a dark brown/black with a tan head. Smell was of smoked meat. The flavor was smoked malt with hints of bacon. Very weird but pleasant to drink!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IrishBoy (4002) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JAN 25, 2007
Bottle; nose of smokey malts, makes me wamt to the deli for the smoked salmon it smells like! cherry brown with a medium, glass-lacing tan head; Flavor of smoke, roasted malt, and mild hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Svesse (7262) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - JAN 22, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2007 (Draught at Akkurat, Stockholm) Dark brown colour with ruby notes, off-white rocky head. Malty, smokey, almost tarry, nose with notes of smoked ham or bacon and a hint of Ardbeg Islay whisky. Malty, smokey taste with a balanced bitterness, dark bread, dried fruit and smoked ham. More smoke in the nose than in the flavour. More complex, and fairly well balanced, taste with a nice bittersweet finish. Easier to drink than expected. Nice one. (7/4/7/4/13=3.5) Rerate: (Draught, unfiltered, by gravity at Akkurat, 26 Sep 2007) Dark brown colour with ruby notes, frothy pale brown head. Smokey, malty nose with notes of smoked ham or sausages and burning fires. Smokey, malty taste with full flavours of smoked ham or sausages, tar, hints of chocolate and discreet notes of spicy hops in a fairly dry finish. A lot better unfiltered, more of everything and still better balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 3/20
Zymologist (30) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - JAN 21, 2007
The smoke seemed almost artificial, as if someone poured a bottle of liquid smoke into a decently made octoberfest. Ten sips into it, and my gut turned. I’m not afraid of smoke. I grew up making country hams in my family’s smoke house. I’ve cooked a slab of ribs over hickory for ten hours. But with those, the smoke doesn’t overwhelm as it does in this beer. Perhaps I’m not man enough for this beer, but then, maybe some people are too manly for their own good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - JAN 21, 2007
Best beer I’ve had in a long time. Pours brown with a small tan head. Aroma and taste are overwhelming of smoke. Truly a classic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gr0ve (2177) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 19, 2007
500 ml botte. Best before date 2004-05. I’ve had this one lying around for while. Dark brown colour with a deep reddish hue. Medium sized mixed off-white head. Grainy and wort-like aroma at first then strong pungent bacon aroma. Well-rounded texture. Seemingly little carbonation. Feels quite bready, much like pumpernickel. Not really sweet, but not particularly dry either. Flavourwise there isn’t much smoke (or bacon if you will) to be detected, but rye instead. Burping makes the room smell of pumpernickel. This is something very special. An acquired taste for sure. I didn’t like it the first time, but this time it wasn’t that bad. I have a fresh bottle in the fridge as well, so I’ll try that one soon to compare. There’s nothing wrong with this vintage, rather the opposite as it is quite rounded and mellow.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
valpoaj (665) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2007
After hearing about ’smoked’ biers, I had to give it a try, and, well, maybe I’m not a true beer aficionado, but I did not care for this taste in the least. First, the scent of smoke upon opening the bottle was overwhelming, and not particularly pleasant either. The pour is deep mahogany color, with little head. The flavor and scent throughout the entire glass was that of a smoldering campfire. To be perfectly honest, I would have rated this beer lower, due to my personal preferences, but do not want to do damage to the rating that currently stands, as I am one of many opinions, though I find it hard to believe that nobody else strongly dislikes this beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dmradus (227) - Ithaca, New York, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Like nothing I have ever tasted before. Brown with a fading white head, although the second pour was vigorous and puffed up quite a bit. Aroma is quite assertive, with smoked pork, charred wood, liquid smoke, some smoked chile peppers - really the essence of a campfire, with a bit of brown sugar or sweet caramel malt in there for some balance and good measure. The taste is not overpowering, with smoke predominant but balanced well by a subtle but clean hop bitterness and an overlying caramel malt presence. Finishes with a slightly metallic touch. Becomes much more mild as it warms, developing a greater bitterness and an easy drinkability. On the tongue, nothing special but nothing to critique. Not exactly my favorite - I just can’t ever see turning to this one another time, but it was definitely worth a try to see just what this smoke beer thing is all about.