overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2110   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CampbellWilson (533) - SCOTLAND - MAY 16, 2005
Bottle in Blackfriars, Glasgow. By God, its good. Aroma of smoked cheese, meat, licorice. Very distinctive smoky taste and finish. A classic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2005 These original smoked beers are quite different from the smoked porters which are popular in America right now. This marzen has a thin head and the distinctive aroma of campfire and some metallic elements in the aroma and flavor. It has a lighter mouth feel and would pair perfectly with some grilled German sausages. This is a good beer--much lighter drinking than the smoked porters, but also less sweet and with a more pronounced campfire smokiness. The first time is a bit of a challenge, but after that the cravings kick in.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours a dark ruby but that’s not really the color. Looks like the water at Blackwater Falls in WV. If you’ve been, you know. If not I apologize for my lack of color vocabulary. Sort of a ruby-brown I guess. A good sized tan head but it quickly dissipates. Some light lacing. Smells like pork rinds. That’s all I can smell. It’s smoky and porky and smells just like pork rinds to my nose. Taste is overwhelmingly smoky to my palate. I mean, I have had rauchbier before but only American versions. This is the smokiest damn beer ever. Smoked pork, smoked shrimp are the flavors that come to mind. As I slowly get my tongue around the smoke, it is a nice malty marzen in there somewhere. Not sticky but a smooth maltiness. A very defined cigar aftertaste but I like cigars so that’s cool with me. Not too drinkable for me, a sipper for sure but an experience in itself. As a beer advocate, you usually have some sort of reference for a style but this beer is unique to me. A singular taste adventure that is not to be missed if you want to learn about beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Palidor19 (2928) - Brandon, Florida, USA - MAY 8, 2005
Smokey!! feels like I’m drink liquid smoke. Nice and smooth, good malts, though a little spicy, has a cola presence to it. I feel like eating cheese with this beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Otje (677) - Veendam, NETHERLANDS - MAY 4, 2005
how to describe this hmmm.... I liked it, so i could easily have a few of these. strange stuff, smoky taste of course, also very hopped. nice clean bitter finish. little sweet and malty, you taste a perfecty good light beer behind the smoke. might be good for marinating meat. burps.....eh smoke! cheers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - APR 30, 2005
Pours dark brown with a thick beige head. smoky nose. Flavour from smoked pork, with spicy hints. Malty and somewhat woody. Full bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Pernille (518) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 18, 2005
This is a "love me or leave me"-beer. I quite like the smoked flavor, but can definitely empathize with those who think of smoked mackerel when tasting it. (And my fellow taster did!). I like that it lingers on the palate for quite a while.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
jefcon (1359) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 14, 2005
Wonderfully smoky, with smoked salmon on the nose. There’s little else to remark on except the backing of live wood and hops, but neither are exceptional. Very dark brown-red in the glass. The strength of this marzen is clearly its smoked character -- not overwhelming, but strong and permeating. For that reason, this beer deserves a taste. Palate is light for having this smoky element of a porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 14, 2005
Pour from bottle at Mader’s. Served fairly cold, but warmed quickly. Appearance is a reddish, opulent brown. Small, oily head. Aroma is beef jerky and kielbasa. Taste affirms aroma - it’s unreal how uncanny it is: jerky, smoked malt, wood cask and again with the kielbasa. I think I like this. Nice dissipating - then vanishing - lacing. I’m preferring this to a lot of the dime-a-dozen dunkels because when this finishes (where dime-a-dozen dunkels leave little resonating), this one leaves smoked malt tracts. Very palpable. Grows on you. Man, what a beer, however the burps that follow hours after are far from enjoyable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rballs01 (279) - Madison, New Jersey, USA - APR 11, 2005
Pours a nice dark-amber. Smoke on the nose, bacon, old charcoal. The flavor however isn’t to powerful. Nothing compared to it brother Urbock. Aftertaste is of a cigarette. Pairs well with BBQ. Not a great beer if you wanna try a smoked beer since it only hints off smokey characteristics.