overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - SEP 11, 2005
This beer makes me want to cook a potroast soaked in the stuff and I lingered over it, sipping, for a lovely long while. Hard for some folks to swallow maybe--nobody else at my table liked it beyond a taste or two--but although this beer may go over the top on the smoke (more than a lot of other smoked beers), that’s the way I like it--big and chewy like a hunk of beer jerky. Not much point in being too complex because this beer is all about the smoke.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Kinz (3286) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Sigh. Why do I keep trying these things? Aroma of Little Smokies, you know, those nasty little vienna sausages that have been soaking in liquid smoke for a few years. Flavor matches. Smoke, touch of wood, that is about it. Although it isn’t my bag, I can see how some folks might really flip for the stuff. It is a well made beer, just not my thing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
auerbrau (3177) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - SEP 8, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2008 500mL Bottle. Rich clear orange brown pour, with ultra-clean head of off-white. Distant campfire and wood stove smoke aroma; musky. Good dense malt blast. Some hickory tinged barbeque as well. Flavor pretty much continues the aroma, with more savory pig fat smoked flavor, developing at the back end. Sweetened with brown sugar. Interesting. Drinkable, but fairly static and smoke overwhelmed. Revisit. 3.9.2008. Much more balanced and delicate than I remember. Dry and focus on some barbeque sugars. Malt comes through a little. Lager softness. Not really all that overwhelmed. At this point in my career, I could handle more smoke. A damn good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DYCSoccer17 (3319) - Woodland, California, USA - SEP 7, 2005
Bottle. SMoked, smoked bacon aroma with a mild underlying sweetness present as well. Smells like the other Schlenkerlas. Transparent amber color with a small quickly dissipating off-white head. Start is thin and a bit grassy, turning quite smoky to finish. Some lingering bitterness is also present in the finish. This is more thin-bodied than the others.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
joergen (20714) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - AUG 29, 2005
Draught at the brewpub. Clear brown coloured with a solid brown head. Aroma of malts, smoke and hops. Smokey flavour of malts, wood and hops with some sweetness. Hoppy finish. The bottled edition is more smokey but less sweet and hoppy (6-3-6-3-13).

MiP (13598) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - AUG 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2012 Bottle. Very smoky aroma. Wood, chew tobacco. Flavour is of course also quite smokey. It is hard to taste anything but smoke, even though the carbonation balances it a bit. Seems malty. Bitterness shows itself once "the smoke clears" from your palate. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - AUG 15, 2005
A nice dark brownish red in color with a light brown head. A strong smoked aroma. Has a nice medium body and a pleasant smoked flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JonMoore (1858) - Loughborough, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - AUG 15, 2005
Bottle. Clear, deep ruby red/dark brown. Smokey bacon aroma. Smokey, meaty flavour. Medium to full bodied, nice mouthfeel. I like this so much, I’m almost stunned (in the ’I was expecting to find it appalling, after my last go of a smoked beer 10 years ago’ sense).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
ALLOVATE (2407) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 9, 2005
This one was an absolute pleasure to drink. So much so I was side-tracked on my first tasting a few weeks ago and ended up reading through the Schlenkerla website rather than focusing on the rating. I have since stock-piled my cellar with bottles of this in the fear it may not be available in Oz for too much longer. Poured into a chalice glass, a thin bubbly, dense pad of beige foam settled atop a clear, deep russet-brown body. Head lasted for the length and left a little legs. Unique and initially overwhelming aroma of cured pork and beef, pickled anchovies, smoky, roasted malt and ash, peppery spices and an unusual hint of dark dried and aged fruits. The aroma set the mood nicely and continued to waft from the glass as I sipped. Lighter than expected body, extremely flavoursome and well rounded, unbelievably smooth and as complex as the aroma. Quite smoky and woody, the light spritzy carbonation bounces the cured meats, roasted grain, bready yeast, zesty dried fruits and husky ash flavours across the palate and manages to invade every orifice of the mouth, before finishing off with a long, dry and mouth watering, burnt grain swallow. The beer seemed to alter its character as I went along, but remained and absolute treat for the senses. Refreshing, explosive, mellowing and unique, all at the same time. This became an instant favourite on my first sip and gets better with every bottle since. A love it or hate it beer, but for me its a winner. Lovely!!! (500mL, Int’l beer shop, W. Leederville)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6037) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 6, 2005
Thanks to MJames and his Baconut forum for finally get me off my ass and rating this beer. I was rating while enjoying a maple cured bacon, sharp cheddar, egg, and homemade pumpernickel bread sammich. YIPPIE 4 Beer!

Displays a nice mahogany hue with fading fizzy head and some lace. The aroma comes right out and lets you know what to expect with a heavy smoked bacon and burnt wood overtone and some esters of salt, minerals, and caramel. The taste follows suit mostly with a big woody and meaty overtone with just a dose of light bitters to keep ya interested. One-dimensional, sure, but it does it spot on. The feel is actually thin and fore giving which allows you to finish the whole bottle. (I think the sammich is helping here as well). Good and the paring worked well with my 1st dinner. Still I like the Weizen and Urbock better (and the Fastenbier, well that was other-worldly)