overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2453   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2007
500ml bottle. Pours brown with red highlights and a small head. Aroma is smoky and meaty. Taste is smoky, a bit thin bodied. I am a huge fan of smoked flavor in food and drinks and it’s good here but the beer underneath is a bit bland. Interested in trying more smoked beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
Dark reddish-brown body without a head pretty much. As promised, there is intense amounts of smoke in the aroma and in the flavor. Those of you who know me, know that I don’t really tend to appreciate smoked beers too much, but overall, I can say that this one is very decently made: it is not "artificially" flavored, so luckily it does not taste like flacid bacon. It has a nice balance of moderate maltiness without too much sweetness and a clean, refreshing finish. Nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
notalush (5637) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2008 I f you had told me two years ago that I would be raising my score for this beer to a near perfect score, I would have laughed in your face - but I’ve been drinking this beer at least once a week for months, and it just keeps getting better - if that isn’t reason enough for such a great score, I don’t know what is[man, the more I have of this beer, the more perfect I think it is - strong smoke, sure, but it has a balance that surpasses all other schlunkerla beers - this stuff is nearly perfect - I never get tired of it, not matter how often I drink it] I can’t believe I’ve never rated this stuff - oh well, better late than never - beautiful ruby hue, with minimal head, but lasting lace - powerful aroma of beechwood and hickory smoke (so natural you’d swear you were around a campfire), with background caramel and munich malt sweetness, and some subtle fruity notes - smooth, creamy mouthfeel, with medium carbonation - the smokiness in the flavor is exactly as the aroma makes you expect it will taste - very natural and earthy - mild hop bitterness through the middle - medium-bodied, with light fruitiness and a caramel sweetness that balances perfectly with the hops, smoked malt, and woody notes - with this many ratings, there’s nothing new that can be said - it’s just a wonderful beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BEEJE26 (38) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 13, 2007
A truly unique beer. Has a wonderful smokey aroma, texture and taste. It goes down bitter, but has a wonderful aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Embrouille (2835) - SWITZERLAND - JUN 12, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2010 Bottled 50cl. A beautiful dark ruby beer. The nose is smoky, this is the least I can say! Wonderful aroma, I really love this smoky nose! This beer has some elements of tar in the nose too.. Flavors: Wow! The taste just blew me away! (to much to discribe...) This beer is wonderful! Slightly salty and extremly drinkable. I have just drunk a outstanding beer! I just hope this smoked has a long finish, and sure enough it has! By the way, I really enjoy a good single malt (especially those with a strong peaty, smoky character).. Does this smoked beer have anything in common? Sure, this beer is very different to a peaty single malt, but I think you can compare the smoky character. I really love the smokiness, (whether in whisky or in beer...) this beer proves it! I found a new outstanding beer! I’ m going to buy a lot of these beers as quick as possible! This Schlenkerla was really a wonderful experience! If you loved this beer, I would recommend you to taste some single malts. If you haven’t yet, you should really consider tasting some (especially those from the Island of Islay) ...(for example the Lagavulin 16 years or the Laphroaig 10 years, which are excellent single malt expressions with a strong peatiness). Forget all the drivel, this is absolutely fantastic. I am staying with the initial rating.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
shalloWMeans (169) - Independence, Kentucky, USA - JUN 11, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2008 Bottle. Drank from German opaque ceramic mug so didnt get much on the appearance, but the mug made the smell even more enjoyable. I decided before I even drank this one that I had to grill out while I drank it, and I can honestly say that the smell of the charcoal grill was just about the same as the smell of the beer. Amazing. Anyway, the taste itself was of course caramelly and malty like any marzen style and the smoked flavors made for a nice, mellow, rounded finish. I had read many times about the initial shock of trying a smoked beer so I wasnt too shocked when i actually did, just pleasantly surprised. Some beers are really meant to be sipped on their own, and others are just meant to be drank with food. This one is PERFECT for food and couldnt imagine NOT drinking it with a nice smoked bratwurst.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ChrisTurner (207) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUN 9, 2007
Bottle -- A light tan with a touch of red. Almost no carbonation. Medium-to-large off-white head that quickly recedes. A little lacing. Aroma is very smokey, with hints of charred wood and burnt bacon. Some sweeteness. Surprisingly watery feel to this beer. Flavour is the same as the aroma, with the smoke a touch overpowering if the beer is drunk alone -- it’s absolutely heavenly with salami pizza! Will keep in mind for my next BBQ.

drewbeerme (3916) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 5, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2009 500ml bottle. pours dark with white head. nose is very smoked meats. flavor is very charred wood with smoke in the background, other notes are meats. flavor isn’t as full as the urbock but still real nice and smoked meaty. a sort of rusty finish. very easy drinking smoked but i find most of them to be.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RoyceH (1198) - Hesperange, LUXEMBOURG - JUN 2, 2007
Bottle. Dark ruby with a bubbly thick off-white head. Nose is full of bacon, smoky bacon, malty smokiness, slightly sweet nose. Mouth is smoky, more of that bacon, some wheat snacks, something like bacon fries, oaky malt sweetness that lasts. Palate is sweet and inoffensive, a little heavy by the end of the bottle, but flowing. Quite delicious, if a little on the overpowering side.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Delirium (645) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 31, 2007
Bottle. Pours very dark brown with a moderate off-white head. Smells like smoke, rather like smoked bacon, with maybe a hint of malts. Flavor is of course also permeated by smoke, but oddly a bit refreshing, with some malt and bits of hops, and a fairly light body. I like this a bit more than the Urbock, since the smoke is balanced a bit more, though still undoubtedly assertive.