Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2372   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BiochemProf (179) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Dark brown/amber pour topped with a foamy, creamy off-white head. Great lace. Wonderful smoke and coffee aroma. Smooth mouthfeel with a pleasing smoky aftertaste. The perfect complement to my "Bubba Burger"!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a deep dark brown, with frothy one finger head that recedes slowly to a spotty cap and thick ring, leaving behind a nice webbing of lace. Smell; this smell’s strongly of smoked pork. I also get some caramel malts, with a little sweetness in there. Taste; interesting smokey flavors that I associate with homemade smoked pork. There’s those sweet caramel, and toffee malts that mingles very nicely with the smoked flavors, with just some hints of hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but the drinkability is higher than I was expecting. This is only the second true Rauchbier that I’ve had, and I can’t believe how good it is. I have a couple more different ones to sample, and now i can’t wait to try them.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours a clear dark maple with a thick head and large slow moving bubbles. Aroma and flavor is very smokey, almost too smokey for my palate. You can taste the sweet carmel notes if you hunt for it. Goes down smooth, overall not a bad beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours a clear brownish ruby color, with about half an inch of light tan head. The foam dies back in about a minute to a thick ring and a thin top layer. Surprisingly effervesent. No lacing. Strong smoky scent even before I start to pour the contents into my glass. First sip is medium heavy on that liquid smoke, but after a couple sips, I notice the malty character beneath the smoke. The maltiness is mildly sweet and a little bready. Hops are in there too, though only a fleeting taste right at the end. The smokiness lingers for several minutes in the aftertaste. Light bodied and softly carbonated (nowhere near as effervesent as when first poured).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - JAN 7, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2009 Dark brown pour with a minimal off-white head. Smokey malt aroma, smokey sour malt flavor. The finish? Smokey. I hate to call this a one-note beer, because it was obviously made with skill and talent, but the smoke overpowers everything to me. That’s okay, though. It is what it is and it’s tasty ... if you like smoke. Nice for the novelty, but definitely not my style. Tastes like a house fire smells.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Maria (10190) - Thisted, DENMARK - JAN 7, 2007
Wooooow!!! HELP, HELP - where is the fire extinguisher???? - smoke comes out of my bottle!! Well OK, if I have to be honest, it’s only smoke aroma or should I rather call it smell... The color of the beer is mahogany red/brown, almost black and the head is OK. My previous experience with smoked beer was at this point only Highlander, and it seems like an infant compared to this one, that is a senior citizen... When my nose reaches the glass I feel like I’m in a smokehouse, but I also sense notes of wharf and tar. The flavour is not salt, but otherwise it is smoked foods I taste. There is a lot of smoked meat, Danish salami and smoked eel skin in the above order. I cannot find any other notes, and I briefly get the idea that this might be the ideal way to loose weight for lovers of smoke - stop eating and start drinking, but then again LOL. No, honestly, it was a great experience to taste this beer, and I actually drank all of it myself. I also tried it with my dinner, but that wasn’t a pleasure. This has to be a beer that you either love or hate, and right now (medio July 05) I’m not sure where I belong, I’ll have to taste it again some day to know for sure...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 5, 2007
Pours a mahogany color with a medium sized cream colored head. Smokey malty aroma and taste. A slight bitter aftertaste. A more subtle version of thier urbock but without the bitterness of the weizen. I still prefer the urbock

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iep (230) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - JAN 1, 2007
Dark mahogany with quickly dissappearing head. The same smoky malt aroma as the other Schlenkerla offerings, somewhat milder than the Urbock and a bit more twangy/spicy than the Weizen. Really enjoyable. Overall it was more balanced than the others, also in the taste which was lighter than the Urbock but heavier & more dry than the Weizen. Good mouthfeel, fits the rest of the brew very well. A nice alternative to the heavier & rougher Urbock, it just lacked a bit of intensity. Nonetheless a great rauchbier.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hoser (370) - Cowtown, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 31, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 Page 13 of MJ’s Great Beer Guide. I have had three beers from this brewery. My first thoughts when I had this beer was it would be a truly great marzen if they kept the smoked Salmon out of it. 199 of his Classic Brews to go.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2006
Interesting. I have put this one off for years as friends and pros would put me off with the smoked ham hock reference. Well the bark is worse than the bite, at least the bottle, as the tap version is very aromatic. Dark amber color, small head. Yes a noticable smoke aroma, country ham hocks spot on. Taste is mildly smokey, not nearly as bad as the liquid smoke I was lead to believe. As a positive I can see the potential with food pairings with this beer.