overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ThomasE (5176) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 5, 2005
Reddish / brown colour with fairly small and fast disappearing off white head. Aroma has a strong smokyness with a touch of meat. Flavor has a nice sweetness that keeps the smoke in the background, actually not that bad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BATLMULLET (127) - Highland, Indiana, USA - APR 3, 2005
On tap, Map Room Chicago Feb 2005. Unusual that the aroma was not as strong as the flavor. Not overpoweringly smoky at all. Very summer sausage-y. Fairly dry throughout, including the finish. Nice brown coloring and medium mouthfeel. Not my usual thing, but absolutely had to try one while it was available. Quite good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - APR 2, 2005
16.9oz bottle. My dad is on his way to Germany and is going to bring me back some great beers, so I thought I might pull this out of my cellar and give it a try to celebrate the nearing arrival of my German beer. Served at 57° in my NB worthy glass. Pours reddish brown with a light off white head. No sediment apparent. Amazingly enough, the aroma is smokey, like smoked ham. It seems to be both sweet and smokey. The aroma is sweet at first, then the smoked ham flavor kicks in. This is my 2nd smoked beer, the first was a smoked porter, which seemed a easier vessel in which to take the smoke flavor, this is just a lighter beer and the smoke takes center stage. Besides the smoke, which, by the way, is not over the top, there is a nice malty flavor with some notes of brown sugar. The finish is smokey. Mouthfeel is about medium, not light, but not very heavy either. I feel that I should re-rate this after I get more experience with smoked beers, which might prove to be somewhat difficult... All in all, a must try, but maybe a better beer to go with a meal, especially bbq or cheese, than to just sip on.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DerWeg (1492) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 2, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2008 Smoky German farm sausage taste and aroma with warm malty-sweet underpinnings. Rounded hop dryness. Medium body, translucent Bock-like appearance with slight head. Long smoky aftertaste and dry tongue! Acrid feel. Probably only slightly healthier than chewing tobacco, but a must-try for all beer-imbibing lunatics. 50cl bottle was slightly cooled. **RE-RATE** added a substantial overall & flavor up-rate. Real great stuff, like drinking artisan wood-smoked ham from Tyrol. I beleive!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - MAR 31, 2005
What an aroma. Absolutely divine. Savory smoked bacon, light sweetness way back there somewhere. It also looks marvelous in the glass. Frothy light tan head murky ruby body. But that aroma. Yum. It is actually making me salivate. If only dear Dr Pavlov were here. The flavor is also very savory, bacon, salt, sweetness comes through more here. Nicely bitter, especially in the finish. The palate is soft full and feels like a mouthfull of liquid meat! I keep reflexively trying to chew while drinking this marvelous creation. Stunning in its smokiness and so well put together. Wow. Umm I hear a bell so I have to run now...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAR 30, 2005
WOW! As soon as you open this one, you know you’ll be in for something special....I grew-up in a small fishing village and it reminded me of walking into one of those shacks used to smoke fish... Pours dark brown (almost black) with a white frothy head. Beef jerky and smoked bacon aroma. Flavours are malty and a bit sweet at first, with a nice lingering Smokey finish(beef jerky, smoked cheese perhaps...)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - MAR 28, 2005
Bottle. Scored from the local Polish store. Deep brown and bordering on black in color. Ruby notes when backlit. Scant head formation. Holy smoke aroma Batman. Smells like smoked meats and old smoldering campfire. First flavors are malty and sweet eroding to a very present smoke flavor. Pleasant little hop twang in the finish. Damn nice smoked beer!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Magjayran (1379) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 16, 2005
From a bottle. Pours a dark brown. The smell is amazing. Smells a lot like some of the stronger smoked cheeses I have tried. The taste is startling and unique. Very strong smoked meat or cheese flavor on top of a quality brewed lager. I’ve never had anything like this before and I’m extremely interested in trying other smoked beers if they exist.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
oh6gdx (20274) - Vasa, FINLAND - MAR 12, 2005
Bottled. Brown colour with minor brownish head. Aroma is made of wet burnt wood (or coal). Taste of burnt wood (alt. smoked fish). Extremely smoky. Some of my friends love this one, I didn’t like it that much, but it sure differs a lot from "normal" beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Great meat marinade. Over the top smoke and wood on the palate. not near enough balance for me personally but still well crafted.