overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2287   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Pour is deep amber with a nice long lasting tan head...smell is strongly smokey with bacon, BBQ, and something sweet...taste is sweet with smoke overpowering any of the malt flavor that should be there...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
anders37 (18915) - Malmö, SWEDEN - MAY 4, 2006
Draught. Clear brown colour with a longlasting tan head. Has a smoked aroma with some hints of sausages. Malty and slightly smokey flavor. Has a long malty slightly smokey aftertaste, with some bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerlady (556) - lucerne, SWITZERLAND - MAY 3, 2006
really darkbrown,with a red gloom(like chestnut-colored hair) head not very high,creamy-coloured) by opening the bottle,the beer has a really intensive smoke smell ,as if one would sit on the fire-place(like smoke from wood).in the glass too,that smoke smell is there,but when smelling longer,something malty is hidden behind(very hidden) by drinking the smoke impression is still there,but now,it remembers more smoked pork than wood.but not only smoky, it ’s a bit hoppy in the mouth, and even a little bit of malt comes trough.Fizzy little bubbles. tasts more refreshing than one expects by smelling. Aftertaste smoky,and an interesting bitterness. I would not drink it for accompagnating smoked meat,that would be a bit too much smoked things the same time.(such a meal wouldlack of contrasts!perhaps one could try it with something other) for me,that’s a beer one can drink with some friends at an evening or so,with friends,to discuss about it. very uncommon,special,makes a (change!! By the way,nice bottle,has some "historic" flair,design of the label fits the content very well!!)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jacobwennbom (353) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - MAY 2, 2006
Very dark and very smokey. I love to smell this beer, however it doesn’t feel as great to acctually drink. Maybe it could be a bit more fizzy?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wheninhell (488) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2006
clear dark brown with a white head. big beef jerky aroma with a hint of hops. big smokey beef jerky flavor that is almost too much to take. this beer almost seems like it is some kind of smoked meat product in liquid form. light body with slightly fizzy carbonation. long lasting dry smokey finish with a hint of european hops. a very interesting beer that everyone should try but make sure you have a few people to share the bottle with.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Christian (11635) - Odense, DENMARK - APR 28, 2006
Dark red brown with a fluffy head, some lacing. Aroma of smoke, tar, smoked meat. The meat seems even more present in the flavour.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Zinnamon (40) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2006
My first impression was that it smelled like a roast. I was close but it wasn’t until my friend mentioned the word Bacon, that I realized the true essence of this beverage. It poured to a little head and a deep copper color. The aroma was good, interesting, thought-provoking and rancid all in one. The beer was unexpectedly smooth on the palate but I felt like I was drinking striaght cholesterol and fat. I kept looking at the glass to see if a layer of fat was going to form. it did not. an interesting drink to try but I will never drink this again. A true hate it or love it.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
bgburdman9 (859) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2006
Reddish brown with a light brown head. WTF is that? is there old ham in the fridge? I had heard this smelled like ham or bacon but I didnt think it would be so prominent. This was pig straight from the smokehouse. Dont get me wrong I will enjoy my smoked meats when I want to, but drinking my smoked meats is a different thing. I was expecting to find a layer of fat in this beer. Other than the shock factor of this beer, it tasted a lot better than it smelled and was very smooth in the mouth. This was good to try, but next time I better be eating a meal when I have one. This was not my style, but I can see why so many people enjoy it.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
can8ianben (1387) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 23, 2006
Interesting. It’s unlike anything I’ve had before. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I would choose to have it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 22, 2006
Dark red/brown pour with light brown head. Aroma is smoked meat, malt and something else, slightly sweet. It has a rich malt flavor, carbonated tingle, and a sweet malt syrup finish which is all capped off by the light smoke ending.