overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2330   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerandBlues2 (10836) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 15, 2006
Pours mahagony with a patchy and edgy off-white head. Aroma is smoked meat, roasted nutty malt (grain, meal), yeast (earth) and bacon. Mildly sweet smoked malt and beef, pork, trace yeast, ashy and mild bitter, acidic finish. Medium bodied, thin and fizzy palate.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 12, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 20, 2006 Well, where do I even start on this. The aroma is so smokey, i felt like low-crawling out of my house. The flavor is overwhelming smoke, meat, definitely ham, and bacon. This sounds reminiscent of gsteph’s rating, but what the hell, its right on the money, only i didnt like it to much. Strangest beer ive had yet. I know it says it’s a "smoke beer", but geez! Worth a try, but thats about it. If I were rating on style, it would be pretty high. Its just not my thing though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
gsteph (321) - knoxville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 9, 2006
Pours a deep amber with a thin tan head that didn’t want to stay around too long. Great sweet and smoky aroma, ham, bacon, etc. A tad thin on the body but good smoky, meaty flavor. A small hops bite on the end. A great beer if you just want to have one or two. I would loose interest in any more than that. Definitely great with grilling and as of right this very minute....pizza. A great representation of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 8, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2006 Clear dark pop color(huh?). Small head that goes away quickly...smokey meat is the aroma and is pretty nice, but a bit sour. Very nice smoke taste, and the beer remains refreshing. I’m drinking this while bbq’ing...perfect. Hops come through at the end, but aren’t overly bitter. Just a nice balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 7, 2006
Pouts a clear red black with a healthy white medium density head. This is not what I expected of a Marzen, though I’ve never had a real rauchbier! The nose is straight up bacon. Mostly smoke, with a few light fruity notes sneaking out. Perhaps hops? The palate is creamy and mouthfilling though not too thick. The flavor is an amazing deadringer for bacon. As a vegetarian willing to make exceptions for things like bacon and pastrami, I think I might be able to cross bacon off of the list entirely thanks to the flavors in this beer. There’s even the salty twang from bacon in this beer. There’s some slight burnt charcoal flavors that really fill this beer out the balance a significant rich sweetness up front. Even a touch of spicy floral hops comes through. An absolute ton of complexity. I really enjoyed this beer and will certainly buy more!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tcruicks (282) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 7, 2006
Wow, this is like liquid bacon. Heavy smokey aroma and flavor, and its just dominated by bacon. A deep dark red with a fairly large tan head. I like it, but you really have to be in the mood for bacon and a super smokey beer to enjoy a full glass of it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
presario (4901) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 7, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2012 Second rating Dec 20 CBAC. Treat shared with Tipsy. Dark copper. Light head of tight bubbles. Beef jerky aroma makes you hungry, Flavour is light jerky. Interesting airy light body. Loses interest the more you have. A novelty beer for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nightfall (1306) - Hamburg, GERMANY - AUG 6, 2006
UPDATED: APR 9, 2009 0,5lt. bottle .At "1920" restaurant in Athens. My first rauchbier and I was really impressed. Great with the BBQ plate that I ordered.Very dark brown in color. Aromas and taste of smoked bacon , ash, nice saltiness. Great , I will drink it again (and again...)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SGTHibbert (100) - Perry, Iowa, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Nice smokey bacon flavor. Not too bad. Huge head light brown fully lasting with lots of lacing. Black in color. For being a smoke beer I must say I was impressed. I would drink this again. Goes great with pizza.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
skoisirius (1880) - Earth, Washington, USA - AUG 1, 2006
500 ml bottle into a Dimpled Mug glass. Pours a mixed light tan and brown color with a very thin tan head that quickly slides away into a thin cover on the brew. The aroma is heavy on the notes of smoked bacon, smoke, saltiness, and smokey barley. The flavor has much of the same elements of the nose. It begins with a light malty hint which moves into a very heavily smoked malts and bacon. The smoked bacon flavor lingers for quiet some time. A tiny hop bitterness hits near the end, but is very quickly covered in the smoked bacon. Fairly smooth, not too carbonated. Not my favorite style, but I had to try one from Aecht. For what it is, it’s good, but I won’t be back for a while!