overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2408   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Svesse (7502) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - JAN 22, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2007 (Draught at Akkurat, Stockholm) Dark brown colour with ruby notes, off-white rocky head. Malty, smokey, almost tarry, nose with notes of smoked ham or bacon and a hint of Ardbeg Islay whisky. Malty, smokey taste with a balanced bitterness, dark bread, dried fruit and smoked ham. More smoke in the nose than in the flavour. More complex, and fairly well balanced, taste with a nice bittersweet finish. Easier to drink than expected. Nice one. (7/4/7/4/13=3.5) Rerate: (Draught, unfiltered, by gravity at Akkurat, 26 Sep 2007) Dark brown colour with ruby notes, frothy pale brown head. Smokey, malty nose with notes of smoked ham or sausages and burning fires. Smokey, malty taste with full flavours of smoked ham or sausages, tar, hints of chocolate and discreet notes of spicy hops in a fairly dry finish. A lot better unfiltered, more of everything and still better balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 3/20
Zymologist (30) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - JAN 21, 2007
The smoke seemed almost artificial, as if someone poured a bottle of liquid smoke into a decently made octoberfest. Ten sips into it, and my gut turned. I’m not afraid of smoke. I grew up making country hams in my family’s smoke house. I’ve cooked a slab of ribs over hickory for ten hours. But with those, the smoke doesn’t overwhelm as it does in this beer. Perhaps I’m not man enough for this beer, but then, maybe some people are too manly for their own good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - JAN 21, 2007
Best beer I’ve had in a long time. Pours brown with a small tan head. Aroma and taste are overwhelming of smoke. Truly a classic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gr0ve (2177) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 19, 2007
500 ml botte. Best before date 2004-05. I’ve had this one lying around for while. Dark brown colour with a deep reddish hue. Medium sized mixed off-white head. Grainy and wort-like aroma at first then strong pungent bacon aroma. Well-rounded texture. Seemingly little carbonation. Feels quite bready, much like pumpernickel. Not really sweet, but not particularly dry either. Flavourwise there isn’t much smoke (or bacon if you will) to be detected, but rye instead. Burping makes the room smell of pumpernickel. This is something very special. An acquired taste for sure. I didn’t like it the first time, but this time it wasn’t that bad. I have a fresh bottle in the fridge as well, so I’ll try that one soon to compare. There’s nothing wrong with this vintage, rather the opposite as it is quite rounded and mellow.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
valpoaj (673) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2007
After hearing about ’smoked’ biers, I had to give it a try, and, well, maybe I’m not a true beer aficionado, but I did not care for this taste in the least. First, the scent of smoke upon opening the bottle was overwhelming, and not particularly pleasant either. The pour is deep mahogany color, with little head. The flavor and scent throughout the entire glass was that of a smoldering campfire. To be perfectly honest, I would have rated this beer lower, due to my personal preferences, but do not want to do damage to the rating that currently stands, as I am one of many opinions, though I find it hard to believe that nobody else strongly dislikes this beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dmradus (227) - Ithaca, New York, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Like nothing I have ever tasted before. Brown with a fading white head, although the second pour was vigorous and puffed up quite a bit. Aroma is quite assertive, with smoked pork, charred wood, liquid smoke, some smoked chile peppers - really the essence of a campfire, with a bit of brown sugar or sweet caramel malt in there for some balance and good measure. The taste is not overpowering, with smoke predominant but balanced well by a subtle but clean hop bitterness and an overlying caramel malt presence. Finishes with a slightly metallic touch. Becomes much more mild as it warms, developing a greater bitterness and an easy drinkability. On the tongue, nothing special but nothing to critique. Not exactly my favorite - I just can’t ever see turning to this one another time, but it was definitely worth a try to see just what this smoke beer thing is all about.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BiochemProf (179) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Dark brown/amber pour topped with a foamy, creamy off-white head. Great lace. Wonderful smoke and coffee aroma. Smooth mouthfeel with a pleasing smoky aftertaste. The perfect complement to my "Bubba Burger"!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a deep dark brown, with frothy one finger head that recedes slowly to a spotty cap and thick ring, leaving behind a nice webbing of lace. Smell; this smell’s strongly of smoked pork. I also get some caramel malts, with a little sweetness in there. Taste; interesting smokey flavors that I associate with homemade smoked pork. There’s those sweet caramel, and toffee malts that mingles very nicely with the smoked flavors, with just some hints of hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but the drinkability is higher than I was expecting. This is only the second true Rauchbier that I’ve had, and I can’t believe how good it is. I have a couple more different ones to sample, and now i can’t wait to try them.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours a clear dark maple with a thick head and large slow moving bubbles. Aroma and flavor is very smokey, almost too smokey for my palate. You can taste the sweet carmel notes if you hunt for it. Goes down smooth, overall not a bad beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours a clear brownish ruby color, with about half an inch of light tan head. The foam dies back in about a minute to a thick ring and a thin top layer. Surprisingly effervesent. No lacing. Strong smoky scent even before I start to pour the contents into my glass. First sip is medium heavy on that liquid smoke, but after a couple sips, I notice the malty character beneath the smoke. The maltiness is mildly sweet and a little bready. Hops are in there too, though only a fleeting taste right at the end. The smokiness lingers for several minutes in the aftertaste. Light bodied and softly carbonated (nowhere near as effervesent as when first poured).