overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2199   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
kgustaf (17) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - NOV 16, 2005
This was my first experience with a Smokemalt, and I did not like it. I won’t criticize it too much for being what it claims to be. The aroma was pungently smoky, like a smoked gouda. The flavor matched this aroma perfectly, and made me queasy. The smokiness completely overwhelms any other flavor for me. I tried eating some cheese along with it, but this did not improve the taste. I’d be willing to try rauchbier again, but the smoky flavor must be an acquired taste, or a gimmick.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
yngwie (14095) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - NOV 13, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2008 Bottled. Brown and low on carbonation with tan head. Aroma is dominated by smoked elements. Smoked pork and campfire. Light maltaroma. Flavor has baconaroma-like elements and caramel. A special beer! Rating: 6-3-6-3-12-3(051028)

Bottle. Pours a beautiful clear, copper body with a small, dense beige head leaving some lacings. The nose has a nice fruityness that I haven’t noticed earlier when rating it, and of course there’s a roasted, bonfire-burnt, ashy aroma with the touch of bacon always detected. There’s caramel too. It’s a bit thin in the mouth, but that of course makes it suited for a long night of drinking. Flavorwise it finishes with a flavor reminding of when removing ash from the oven and there’s a flavor reminding of broadleaved wood as well. The beer reveals a fruityness hard to sense the first times drinking it, as it’s far from as pushing as the smoked flavors. The caramel sweetness is also in the background. It finishes with a lasting sweetness, and of course lots of burnt down bonfire and something bacon-like. The fruityness is also present. Sure lovely.
This is a beer surely needing some time to get familiar with, but when familiar, it sure is quaffable and quenching. I remember the first time I had it, at the Schlenkerla tavern. Even though the ambience is wonderful, the beer didn’t suit my palate, I think I needed almost an hour finishing my glass. Time for sure changes the palate. By the way, is there some banana in the aroma? (080328)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Strykzone (5065) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - NOV 11, 2005
Doesn’t smell like a beer, more like a whiskey. Lots of wood smoke. No evidence of peat smoking but more of a campfire aroma. First taste was of a sausage but that morphed into the flavor of a marshmallow that had been cooked over a campfire and dropped into the fire for a bit. Some raters noted beef jerky flavors and I have to agree, particularly in the finish. What a unique style of beer! This is probably not one that I will seek out in the future but it was a pleasant taste experience, and that is what this stuff is all about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rederic (3063) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 11, 2005
Dark brown color, with a frothy tan-colored head, leaving good laces on the glass. Quite smoky nose, smell like smoked mussels, hint of smoked bacon, burnt malt in the aroma follows through on a full-bodied smoky palate, with a smoked malt, oily texture, campfire logwood note, hint of ashness, roasted malt, caramelized malt, leading towards an amazing smoky finish. A very nice smoky beer, a must!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JustinBathurst (134) - Corner Brook, Newfoundland, CANADA - NOV 10, 2005
Pours a reddish cola brown with a 2 cm tan head heavily leaned towards the white end. The head reduces to a whitish algae-like covering that slides about on the surface (not a bacterial infection, I’m just getting tired of describing this as lace-like). Smells of smoking wood, bacon, my sweatshirt after sitting by a campfire, with some buried bales of hay. The mouthfeel is slightly slick with a low amount of carbonation. Taste? Smoky. The whole thing is like a mouthful of wood smoke. This smoky taste lingers on into the aftertaste, becoming the aftertaste. This aftertaste lingers on in your mouth, causing your wife to make comments about ’eating bacon this late at night.’ Part way through, the smokiness seems to get filtered out somewhat by my brain, allowing me to discern a touch of honey sweetness. It’s ok. Looks good, smells pretty much as expected etc etc. In general, an interesting rauchbier, but not distinguished enough for me. Just better than average in most regards, but still just a run of the mill brew as far as I’m concerned.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MesandSim (7118) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - NOV 6, 2005
A Mes rate: On tap @ The Beer Circus. My first smoked beer. Although I knew about them nothing could prepare me for my first taste. Aroma is smoked. Flavour is smoked. Finish is even more so. Smoked cheese smoked cheese smoked cheese. Very very strange stuff. I have never had anything like it. Slight tangyness (must be the cheese!) Just mellow and smokey all round and really enjoyable. Almost meaty at points. Not one for the vegetarians. Conjours images of driftwood fires on the beach. I need to try this again.

Dextolen (151) - Michigan, USA - NOV 1, 2005
Bottle. I went on a trip to my fav. store looking for styles I had avoided in the past. Smokebeers included. This was excellent. The oily smokey aroma reminded me of smoked cheese and sausage. The experience was like drinking beef jerky. I could see times and places where a beer like this would fit perfectly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
imdownthepub (10646) - Banbury, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - NOV 1, 2005
Draught at Biermuseum, Cologne, 400ml, Filtered. Dark brown with tan head. These Rauchbiers are challenging, this was smoked sausage and damp bonfire in one mouthfull. When you start drinking beer who would predict you will find flavours like this. The smokiness is persistent throughout, an extremely interesting beer if a little out of my league. It was the saving grace for this pub certainly.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
nick76 (4257) - Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2005
Obviously the aroma is very Smokey and covers any other smells that might be there. The appearance is dark brown and the head is persistent. The flavor is also very Smokey and somewhat like beef jerky. The palate was not as thick as I wanted but still its not thin. A very unique beer that’s a must try like it or not.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FrankJohansen (3604) - Sabro, DENMARK - OCT 30, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2008 This is an amazing experience. Dark browish colour with a medium mostly lasting head. Aroma and taste of smoked malts, pork and sausage. Once you get used to the taste, you are hooked..