overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BrockLanders (772) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 25, 2005
Bottle at the Royal Mile, Des Moines. Pours a reddish brown...slight beige head. Wow, the aroma was all over the place as it poured....smoky, woody, malty--all to the extreme. It’s funny--I like it but the thought of drinking the entire bottle seems daunting. Let’s taste it. The aroma was much more intimidating than the flavor....smoky malts, more hop bitterness than I anticipated, and still more smoked malt flavor. Medium bodied...dry in the end. Very interesting and tasty beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
iambeer (255) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 21, 2005
The taste to me of this brew is of smoked whitefish, the brunt wood smell is too overpowering for me. A nice colour and a good head retention.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 18, 2005
Pours copper color with a quarter inch tan creamy head. Aroma is of smoked meat, kielbasa, maybe even cheese. Smells great if I’m eating dinner but I must admit I’m a little hesitant to drink it. For the style though I would guess that this is the perfect aroma. Flavor is smoky of course yet malty compares to a porter yet lacks the sweetness of one but very full of roasted flavor. As you get deeper into the beer the strong smoke flavor seems to fade and the malts grow stronger. On the palate it is a little dry but very smooth. It is definitely a sipping beer but a good tasting experience as I had never even heard of this style. I liked it and I’m glad I gave it a try!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
stouby (3726) - Holbæk, DENMARK - MAY 18, 2005
Bottle, at No. 5. Red with off white head. Aroma very smoky. Flavor first very smoky, then you almost forget it and like it. Then it’s sweet of smokemalt. Light body, watery, long duration.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CampbellWilson (533) - SCOTLAND - MAY 16, 2005
Bottle in Blackfriars, Glasgow. By God, its good. Aroma of smoked cheese, meat, licorice. Very distinctive smoky taste and finish. A classic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2005 These original smoked beers are quite different from the smoked porters which are popular in America right now. This marzen has a thin head and the distinctive aroma of campfire and some metallic elements in the aroma and flavor. It has a lighter mouth feel and would pair perfectly with some grilled German sausages. This is a good beer--much lighter drinking than the smoked porters, but also less sweet and with a more pronounced campfire smokiness. The first time is a bit of a challenge, but after that the cravings kick in.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours a dark ruby but that’s not really the color. Looks like the water at Blackwater Falls in WV. If you’ve been, you know. If not I apologize for my lack of color vocabulary. Sort of a ruby-brown I guess. A good sized tan head but it quickly dissipates. Some light lacing. Smells like pork rinds. That’s all I can smell. It’s smoky and porky and smells just like pork rinds to my nose. Taste is overwhelmingly smoky to my palate. I mean, I have had rauchbier before but only American versions. This is the smokiest damn beer ever. Smoked pork, smoked shrimp are the flavors that come to mind. As I slowly get my tongue around the smoke, it is a nice malty marzen in there somewhere. Not sticky but a smooth maltiness. A very defined cigar aftertaste but I like cigars so that’s cool with me. Not too drinkable for me, a sipper for sure but an experience in itself. As a beer advocate, you usually have some sort of reference for a style but this beer is unique to me. A singular taste adventure that is not to be missed if you want to learn about beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Palidor19 (2947) - Brandon, Florida, USA - MAY 8, 2005
Smokey!! feels like I’m drink liquid smoke. Nice and smooth, good malts, though a little spicy, has a cola presence to it. I feel like eating cheese with this beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Otje (677) - Veendam, NETHERLANDS - MAY 4, 2005
how to describe this hmmm.... I liked it, so i could easily have a few of these. strange stuff, smoky taste of course, also very hopped. nice clean bitter finish. little sweet and malty, you taste a perfecty good light beer behind the smoke. might be good for marinating meat. burps.....eh smoke! cheers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - APR 30, 2005
Pours dark brown with a thick beige head. smoky nose. Flavour from smoked pork, with spicy hints. Malty and somewhat woody. Full bodied.