overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2170   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
joergen (21062) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - AUG 29, 2005
Draught at the brewpub. Clear brown coloured with a solid brown head. Aroma of malts, smoke and hops. Smokey flavour of malts, wood and hops with some sweetness. Hoppy finish. The bottled edition is more smokey but less sweet and hoppy (6-3-6-3-13).

MiP (13662) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - AUG 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2012 Bottle. Very smoky aroma. Wood, chew tobacco. Flavour is of course also quite smokey. It is hard to taste anything but smoke, even though the carbonation balances it a bit. Seems malty. Bitterness shows itself once "the smoke clears" from your palate. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - AUG 15, 2005
A nice dark brownish red in color with a light brown head. A strong smoked aroma. Has a nice medium body and a pleasant smoked flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JonMoore (1875) - Loughborough, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - AUG 15, 2005
Bottle. Clear, deep ruby red/dark brown. Smokey bacon aroma. Smokey, meaty flavour. Medium to full bodied, nice mouthfeel. I like this so much, I’m almost stunned (in the ’I was expecting to find it appalling, after my last go of a smoked beer 10 years ago’ sense).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
ALLOVATE (2435) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 9, 2005
This one was an absolute pleasure to drink. So much so I was side-tracked on my first tasting a few weeks ago and ended up reading through the Schlenkerla website rather than focusing on the rating. I have since stock-piled my cellar with bottles of this in the fear it may not be available in Oz for too much longer. Poured into a chalice glass, a thin bubbly, dense pad of beige foam settled atop a clear, deep russet-brown body. Head lasted for the length and left a little legs. Unique and initially overwhelming aroma of cured pork and beef, pickled anchovies, smoky, roasted malt and ash, peppery spices and an unusual hint of dark dried and aged fruits. The aroma set the mood nicely and continued to waft from the glass as I sipped. Lighter than expected body, extremely flavoursome and well rounded, unbelievably smooth and as complex as the aroma. Quite smoky and woody, the light spritzy carbonation bounces the cured meats, roasted grain, bready yeast, zesty dried fruits and husky ash flavours across the palate and manages to invade every orifice of the mouth, before finishing off with a long, dry and mouth watering, burnt grain swallow. The beer seemed to alter its character as I went along, but remained and absolute treat for the senses. Refreshing, explosive, mellowing and unique, all at the same time. This became an instant favourite on my first sip and gets better with every bottle since. A love it or hate it beer, but for me its a winner. Lovely!!! (500mL, Int’l beer shop, W. Leederville)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6083) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 6, 2005
Thanks to MJames and his Baconut forum for finally get me off my ass and rating this beer. I was rating while enjoying a maple cured bacon, sharp cheddar, egg, and homemade pumpernickel bread sammich. YIPPIE 4 Beer!

Displays a nice mahogany hue with fading fizzy head and some lace. The aroma comes right out and lets you know what to expect with a heavy smoked bacon and burnt wood overtone and some esters of salt, minerals, and caramel. The taste follows suit mostly with a big woody and meaty overtone with just a dose of light bitters to keep ya interested. One-dimensional, sure, but it does it spot on. The feel is actually thin and fore giving which allows you to finish the whole bottle. (I think the sammich is helping here as well). Good and the paring worked well with my 1st dinner. Still I like the Weizen and Urbock better (and the Fastenbier, well that was other-worldly)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HogTownHarry (6126) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 4, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2005 Bottle (500ml). I have had this a few times, now I will attempt to rate it. You have to be in the mood for this one. Right from the cap-pop, there’s a lovely smoky bacon aroma in the air. Poured deep ruby-brown, with a very large, foamy, bubbly light tan head. Aroma is smoke, raw meat (sorry!), iron-tangy like thick blood, fresh-hewn harwood, some heavy yeast and various strong earthy notes - dirt, mulch, mushrooms. Taste is mosty smoke - campfire, smoke-house, wet ashes - and a little sweet malt getting through. Most of the normal tasting vernacular just doesn’t apply to this one. Mouthfeel is oily and a little thin-bodied for the colour and aroma. As it warms, I have to hold my breath to drink it - the butcher-shop aroma gets almost overpowering. Hard to finish and I dare you to have TWO.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 1, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2007 I was pretty excited to find this at Acland Cellars only about a month after I was drinking the stuff at the pub in Bamberg. Ahh... the memories... I actually didn’t really like the bottled version when I had it in Sweden but this one didn’t disappoint. I love the colour of this stuff - dark ruby-brown, beautiful. Head retention’s only OK. Aroma is beautifully woody and smoky, with a nice maltiness and some vanilla in behind it. This is the one smoked beer that doesn’t smell or taste like meat to me. First time I had this I was surprised at how light-bodied it was, but in a lot of ways this is a real feature of the beer. Taste starts quite woody, malt is there but it’s not thick at all like some others. Nicely dry with a fair bitterness at the end which really works. I really like how it’s not sweet at all (which was my main problem with the Spezial beers). It’s a stupid cliche but this is one beer that really does get better the more you drink of it.
RR: I think I’ve spent enough time there now to say that this is the best beer in Bamberg, which is really annoying because I can buy it at home in pretty good nick, but obviously it’s not the same as drinking it at the brewery tap. I’ve tried a bunch of rauchbiers now and still haven’t found anything as good as this. Absolutely classic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 30, 2005
If you like smoked sausage or smoked cheese, this is the beer for you! Wow.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DuffMan (6858) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 28, 2005
A worthy beer of my 200th rating-- delicious! Dark red-brown, beige head. Prominant salty woodsmoke aromas. Palate carries this nicely. The smoke is well integrated with the roasted malts, not overbearing at all. Very interesting, and well balanced such that I could drink this all night (usually with such a strong singular flavour component, like smoke or fruit, I get sick of it after a pint, but not here).