overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2310   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Wha’d we say? I had this once with AC and apparently didn;t enter. Remember something about smoked melted gouda on a leather baseball mitt, grape leaves, and humidors. It was absolutely delicious and exciting and I remember the high rating. Will be drinking this again for sure and getting a more detailed comparison of this series. This should be a standby beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
STEPHENDR (478) - California, USA - JUN 13, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2006 Transparent brown- nose/taste hickory smoke pit unusual yet wonderful beer

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
KUEric (888) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 12, 2006
From the Bottle: Pours a deep mahagony color with little head. Aroma is of ham, maybe some burnt notes of greese. A little bit of alcohol, smoke from a campfire on the nose, but mainly ham. A nice amount of carbonation lacing rising to the top. Taste is also of ham, while I smelled little more than ham I taste nothing BUT ham. Quite interesting, I agree that it might be great with some yellow cheeses or maybe salami. Even has a little bit of a gouda taste to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
iowaherkeye (2698) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JUN 11, 2006
16.9oz bottle. My third of the Schlenkerlas I bought a couple months back. Pours a clear brown with a red tinge with a medium-large frothy khaki head. Head stayed throughout, and the lacing was so thick there was just one big lace in my glass. The first aroma I pick up on is of course smoked malts (think campfire), a little metal, and pepper. Not quite as smoky in the flavor, though it is dominant. Some roasty malts in there as well. A little bit of a slight bitter, chalky finish with some charcoal ash. Could have a little more carbonation, but a solid beer nonetheless.

OldMrCrow (2145) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 9, 2006
From the bottle.

I’ve had this one sitting in my cellar for six months or so; I was inspired by Oakes’ latest column ( http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-621.htm ) to pull it out and give it a taste.

Pours an elegant clear caramel brown without much head. Smoked malt of course dominates the aroma, with a bit of dry-cleaner’s shop in there as well. The flavor is not as powerfully smoky as the aroma, at least on the front side of each sip. This gives the caramel malts a chance come through, rich and slightly sweet, before the smoke intermingles with mild bitter hops to provide the finish.

I’m relative newcomer to smoked beers; in some ways the smoked malts remind me of a strongly dry-hopped IPA in the mouth-drying finish. I can’t say that I’m to the point where I prefer the smoke to the hops, but this is interesting and enjoyable as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
eaglefan538 (2937) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 5, 2006
A very nice rauchbier, this one was great from the pour onward. The poure was dark brown with a great pillowy head that really laced quite nicely. The aroma was of deep smoked hickory wood (the char from a fire) and exceeded my prior single rauchbier experience. Flavor was strong and deep malts. This beer was super rich in both malty character and smokiness. Good stuff.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jacktripper (20) - CANADA - JUN 4, 2006
Pours a deep, dark red with an aroma of sausage, firewood, pine, salt and pepper. Tastes exactly how it smells, very meaty and spicy with a heavy emphasis on malt. Drinking this is like drinking in the memories of a campfire cookout from years past, one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
haukur (1345) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - JUN 2, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2009 a totally amazing and unique experience. The aroma is explosive, very burned and smoked. Great looks, dark with a small white head. Taste is also extremely smoked, a whole lot of meat, spices and malt!! Not exactly a session beer, but so wonderful and unique

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
rdawson321 (145) - USA - JUN 1, 2006
I don’t really know how to begin to describe this beer. It hits you with the aroma of campfire and pine, with a lot of bacon, sausage, salt, and pepper. It’s a great pour, with a foamy head that lasts the glass and a deep red amber color. It’s the first smoked I’ve had, and it’s really a lot of fun to drink. Great palate. Everybody should try this, but I don’t think I could drink it on a regular basis. Great brew though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beerdedone (2933) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 1, 2006
Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. Pours dark with a white head. Aroma of smoke, and smoked sausages. Flavor is sausage-like, smoke, and slight bitterness, sounds disgusting, but it was unusually pretty good.