overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
vulcanmeister (200) - La Grande, Oregon, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Hazy brown color with a thin frothy off-white head. Aroma of sweet smoke. Flavor of smoke with hints of salt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
1FastSTi (3343) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 23, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2012 Pours to a clean red-hued brown body with a light beige head. The aroma is smoked black-pepper gouda cheese and burning paper. The flavor is sorta strange. It’s like it’s trying to be a smoked cheese but also is pretty light. Not really strong and smoky like I thought it would be. Still, pretty unique and definitely drinkable. The palate is lightly dry, smoky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MullMan (1099) - New York, USA - MAR 22, 2006
dark and clear copper color, tall thick foamy light tan head. aroma is like smoky clothes after a night by the campfire. kind of reminds me of waking up after burning man. charred wood and paper smells. flavor is malty smokin’ like Alex Smoke!! for those not on the "Grime" tip, it’s smokin like Nightmares on Wax’ Smoker’s Delight. You know, the smoked ham bit is not as strong as I expected, more of a background note. finish is a little bit burned hay. nice beer for the beginning of spring that’s still stuck in winter!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 21, 2006
Smells exactly like smoked gouda. Looks great, but taste is too much for me. Very complex, yet very nasty... to me atleast. Prob. won’t buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
henry3r (586) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - MAR 20, 2006
The bottle poured a beautiful clear deep ruby colored beverage with a medium smooth off-white head that was mostly diminishing but left good lacing on the glass. The aroma was WOW, smoked ham and hot dogs around a campfire. The malt producer must smoke hams in the same kiln they produce the malt in ... and good ham at that. The body was medium-full with smooth carbonation and a slightly slick, oily texture. The flavor starts off just like biting into a piece of smoked ham. I wonder if it is kosher. The finish was long and had a slightly smoked and bitter-sweet character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
harrisoni (14682) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - MAR 15, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2013 Bottle at Ship & Mitre, Liverpool. I was looking through my ratings last night and I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t added this. I think because I knew I had a bottle at home which I would rate. But then I had the one at home and thought, "Oh I don’t need to rate this, as I had it in Liverpool." Fortunately I still have my notes from the Ship & Mitre. Smokey bacon aroma, dark brown beer with beige head. This is good, I mean good. Like a dunkel in mouth with more smokey bacon on end. Stunning. And my first ever Rauch. Re-rate at brewery, fantastic in mouth, just the fullness is amazing, so smooth too, effortless

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dinobrown (46) - Virginia, USA - MAR 13, 2006
Well I have to respect this beer even though I do not enjoy it. The amazing amount of smoke in this beer gives the expierence of drinking smoked ham. Not my taste but an interesting beverage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 10, 2006

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DJMonarch (9162) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 10, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 16, 2010 1. Barrel Draught at the GBBF, Kensington Olympia 06/08/2003 Mid brown coloured with an extremely smoked aroma and flavour. Lasting bacon finish. 2. From a 5l Minikeg at Chris O’s pre GBBF tasting, Kensal Rise 31/07/2010 Big smoked aroma. Mid brown coloured smooth and a little rich on the palate with a hint of bitterness in a smoky bacon flavoured malt finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fordest (2016) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - MAR 10, 2006
500 ml bottle. Pours dark brown with barely any head that amazingly manages to hold on throuhout the glass. Heavy smoke aroma. Smoke and more malts. Heavy smoke on the flavor. Smoked wood, smoked fish, and more smoke. That classic Marzen flavor barely comes through in the finish. Pretty good if you are in the mood for it.