Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2372   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - SEP 24, 2006
Clear brown with a thin head. Smoked wet dog aroma with a hint of vanilla. Lightly sweet caramel flavor compliments a deep but not over powering smokiness. Very clean and well balanced but also nuanced and satisfying. Perhaps a little light in body for my tastes though. I would be interested to know what is used as the smoking fuel for the malt.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - SEP 19, 2006
For some reason I was expecting this to pour very dark but was surprised to see it pour a deep golden with a thick, creamy head. Pork butts in the smoker - boy oh boy this smells fantastic! Salted meats, charred woods, pipe tobaccos, the list goes on. I could smell this all day. Medium body slows the pace slightly - noting bready malts, spicy bacon and fresh woods. Although I really enjoy the finesse involved with the malt bill - I could use a little more ’meat’ - sorry for the pun - in the body. Overall, a fantastic example of the style and one definitely to be enjoyed with a heavy meat dish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mfaulke (92) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 17, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2007 I gambled on one of these a few years ago and have been enjoying them ever since. It is definitely something that you either love or will never drink again. The smoky aroma and flavor throw you off guard at first, and you wonder why you are drinking a beer that tastes like smoke. After a few sips you begin to enjoy it for what it is, a complex and tasty brew.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 14, 2006
500ml. bottle. Dark copper with a small, but long lasting beige head. Aroma of wood smoke with some"meatiness" to it along with caramel malts and a touch of tobacco. Flavor was tons of smoke, but not as much as the Urbock or Weizen. Then again it could just be that I am getting more used to rauchbiers. Hints of bacon, molasses, wood and tobacco. If you told me two years ago I would be enjoying this beer I would have said you were crazy. Now I am becoming crazy for smoked beers.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - SEP 13, 2006
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 DON’T BE SCARED OFF BY THE STRONG AROMA. Pours deep mahogany brown w/ a full semi creamy froth. Aroma of smoked meat is strong. Reminds me of the morning after a campfire. That heavy smoked aroma is in your hair, clothes. Brings back memories. Medium nectar w/ soft residul effers. Flavors are surprisingly mellow w/ a defined smokey character. Mellow fruit w/ softly leathered jerkey and slight creamy vanilla garter. Surprisingly easy to palate after the big smokie nose. Just a pinch of bitterng on the finish. This one improves upon warming. I bought two bottles. I anticipated drinking only one of them. I drank one cold then the other made the hour trek home in a paper sack. It was so delicious I couldn’t resist. The temperature of bottle two was perfect. This brew rocks. It’s so easy to drink with perfect balance of flavor.It’s funny how an aroma will evoke such childhood memories. I highly recommend this brew. DON’T BE SCARED OFF BY THE STRONG AROMA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Slacks (615) - Bolton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 10, 2006
500ml Bottle: My 101st review, only hours after #100. This was supposed to be my century mark but it scared me to so I waited until dinner. Pours ruby red with an off-white head that quickly faded to significant lacing. Aroma of liquid smoke, if you’re familiar with that, much like hickory although we’re told it’s beechwood. As it warms you get touches of sweet malt. Initial ice cold flavour is just dominated by smoke, this is one you must allow to warm. Once it was only cool the malts and hops were brought out, but the smoke is still prominent. Excellent workmanship, and I can respect the effort, but I’ll never drink one again. Take that for what you will.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 2, 2006
This is my 100th beer (im finally in the club) and I couldnt have asked for a better beer. Bottle. Nice brownish colour with a off white head. The smokey taste was very unique and reminded me of a bonfire. I will definitely drink this again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - SEP 1, 2006
Brown hue. Smells like smoked salami or gouda to me (smoked of course). After a few sips the smoky flavor leaves enough room for a faint sweet kick and a tiny bitter hop touch, but just barely. Goes well with the roast beef and havarti I’m having. No way in hell I’d have this beer without food. Excellent for its style, but not my thing at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - AUG 28, 2006
(500 ml bottle from Belfast Co-op) Slightly cloudy tea-ish brown body with a tall tan head that quickly recedes to about 1/2". Aroma dominated by sweet smoked meat, maybe some caramel if you really dig. Mouthfeel smooth, lightly prickly, a bit dry. Sloppy, spotty lacing. Flavor is highly smoke-driven, hard to pick out much underneath. Sweet smoked meat with a malt backbone buried in there is about best I can describe. Finishes somewhat bitter, and aftertaste is more bitter than smokey. Texture and taste-wise, I enjoyed the Urbock and Lagerbier more than this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thebeertourist (5155) - Oslo, NORWAY - AUG 27, 2006
Bottle. Nice mahogny colour with a good creamy offwhite head. The smoked meat aroma is also very appetising. Malty sweetness is well balanced by smoked meat flavours. Still ending with a dry mouthfeel. A nice classic.