overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2510   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - JUN 26, 2007
I tried this beer’s Urbock cousin last year, and thought it was the worst crap I have ever had. However, I drank it without food on a cool afternoon, so I decided to try again. This time, I had the Marzen with grilled brats on a hot summer’s eve, complete with spicy mustard and kraut. If I’m ever going to like it, now’s the time, I figured. Unfortunately, the intense smoky aspect totally dominated the aroma, flavor and finish, to the point where I was alternating bites of Brat with sips of beer, just to get it down. I have somewhat enjoyed beers with a smoky tint (Great Lakes Engine 20 comes to mind), but the smoke is much too dominant in this Aecht Schlenkerla line for me. I REALLY tried on this one, but it can best be summed up like this: Set a pile of old clothes on fire, extinguish it with a bucket of water and drink the runoff.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TaxiDriver (1732) - Stadland, GERMANY - JUN 22, 2007
Bottle. Smoked sausages (salami), burnt wood, not a beer smell and not like a single malt. A dark red clear body, off-white creamy head, good lacing and mostly lasting. The flavor is bitter-salty (salami again) with a average duration. Medium body, oily and dry texture with a soft carbonation. Really something unique you have to get used to, but then it starts to get interesting...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
profane (40) - ITALY - JUN 19, 2007
bottled. Nice creamy compact head. Very sparkling on the tongue. Persistent smoked and sweet end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Floback (550) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUN 17, 2007
Pours a hazed blackish brown hue with no head or lacing. Smells are burnt wood and earth. The tastes are in-your-face, yet incredibly enigmatic. This beer made me feel I was eating liquid Bar-B-Que with campfire ashes mixed in. Apparent carbonation fills the mouth out with good intentions. This is great to try to spice things up in the middle of a drinking session with other more typical brews. Gotta try this with steak next time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mcallister (31) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2007
Beer pours a very dark crimson but looks almost brown if not held up to light. Little head with slight lacing. Hard to pull much out of the nose besides the enormous smoke aroma. You can get some meaty, earthy aromas in the background. Just tried the Ur-Bock last week and this Marzen is much bigger and bolder both in smell and taste. This Marzen is much more complex in the mouth altough I liked the nose of the ur-bock more. Big smokey grilled meet flavors, with great carbonation. Very smooth and esay going for such a different brew. You can get some slight flavors in the background of burnt caramel, and gamey flavors. I could drink 1 or 2 of these beasts but would probably want something else after that not sure though. Guess I’m gonna have to try:) And if you do get some make sure you buy an extra bottle to cook with. The lady friend is making some BBQ sauce as we speak with it that’s awesome!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - JUN 16, 2007
pours deep copper with minimal head. aroma is strong of smoke (breakfast sausage and bacon) and touches of caramel sweetness. taste is very smoke with a nice malt presence behind. this beer isnt subtle and is very smoky which is quite nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JUN 16, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2007 Pours a dark amber with a small, quickly disappearing white head. Tastes of yummy breakfast and beef jerky. Aroma follows suit. I also get a slight oakiness to the beer. The beer sticks with me surprisingly well considering the mouthfeel is a little thin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2007
500ml bottle. Pours brown with red highlights and a small head. Aroma is smoky and meaty. Taste is smoky, a bit thin bodied. I am a huge fan of smoked flavor in food and drinks and it’s good here but the beer underneath is a bit bland. Interested in trying more smoked beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
Dark reddish-brown body without a head pretty much. As promised, there is intense amounts of smoke in the aroma and in the flavor. Those of you who know me, know that I don’t really tend to appreciate smoked beers too much, but overall, I can say that this one is very decently made: it is not "artificially" flavored, so luckily it does not taste like flacid bacon. It has a nice balance of moderate maltiness without too much sweetness and a clean, refreshing finish. Nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
notalush (5728) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2008 I f you had told me two years ago that I would be raising my score for this beer to a near perfect score, I would have laughed in your face - but I’ve been drinking this beer at least once a week for months, and it just keeps getting better - if that isn’t reason enough for such a great score, I don’t know what is[man, the more I have of this beer, the more perfect I think it is - strong smoke, sure, but it has a balance that surpasses all other schlunkerla beers - this stuff is nearly perfect - I never get tired of it, not matter how often I drink it] I can’t believe I’ve never rated this stuff - oh well, better late than never - beautiful ruby hue, with minimal head, but lasting lace - powerful aroma of beechwood and hickory smoke (so natural you’d swear you were around a campfire), with background caramel and munich malt sweetness, and some subtle fruity notes - smooth, creamy mouthfeel, with medium carbonation - the smokiness in the flavor is exactly as the aroma makes you expect it will taste - very natural and earthy - mild hop bitterness through the middle - medium-bodied, with light fruitiness and a caramel sweetness that balances perfectly with the hops, smoked malt, and woody notes - with this many ratings, there’s nothing new that can be said - it’s just a wonderful beer.