Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2528   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
profane (40) - ITALY - JUN 19, 2007
bottled. Nice creamy compact head. Very sparkling on the tongue. Persistent smoked and sweet end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Floback (550) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUN 17, 2007
Pours a hazed blackish brown hue with no head or lacing. Smells are burnt wood and earth. The tastes are in-your-face, yet incredibly enigmatic. This beer made me feel I was eating liquid Bar-B-Que with campfire ashes mixed in. Apparent carbonation fills the mouth out with good intentions. This is great to try to spice things up in the middle of a drinking session with other more typical brews. Gotta try this with steak next time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mcallister (31) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2007
Beer pours a very dark crimson but looks almost brown if not held up to light. Little head with slight lacing. Hard to pull much out of the nose besides the enormous smoke aroma. You can get some meaty, earthy aromas in the background. Just tried the Ur-Bock last week and this Marzen is much bigger and bolder both in smell and taste. This Marzen is much more complex in the mouth altough I liked the nose of the ur-bock more. Big smokey grilled meet flavors, with great carbonation. Very smooth and esay going for such a different brew. You can get some slight flavors in the background of burnt caramel, and gamey flavors. I could drink 1 or 2 of these beasts but would probably want something else after that not sure though. Guess I’m gonna have to try:) And if you do get some make sure you buy an extra bottle to cook with. The lady friend is making some BBQ sauce as we speak with it that’s awesome!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - JUN 16, 2007
pours deep copper with minimal head. aroma is strong of smoke (breakfast sausage and bacon) and touches of caramel sweetness. taste is very smoke with a nice malt presence behind. this beer isnt subtle and is very smoky which is quite nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JUN 16, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2007 Pours a dark amber with a small, quickly disappearing white head. Tastes of yummy breakfast and beef jerky. Aroma follows suit. I also get a slight oakiness to the beer. The beer sticks with me surprisingly well considering the mouthfeel is a little thin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2007
500ml bottle. Pours brown with red highlights and a small head. Aroma is smoky and meaty. Taste is smoky, a bit thin bodied. I am a huge fan of smoked flavor in food and drinks and it’s good here but the beer underneath is a bit bland. Interested in trying more smoked beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
Dark reddish-brown body without a head pretty much. As promised, there is intense amounts of smoke in the aroma and in the flavor. Those of you who know me, know that I don’t really tend to appreciate smoked beers too much, but overall, I can say that this one is very decently made: it is not "artificially" flavored, so luckily it does not taste like flacid bacon. It has a nice balance of moderate maltiness without too much sweetness and a clean, refreshing finish. Nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
notalush (5732) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2008 I f you had told me two years ago that I would be raising my score for this beer to a near perfect score, I would have laughed in your face - but I’ve been drinking this beer at least once a week for months, and it just keeps getting better - if that isn’t reason enough for such a great score, I don’t know what is[man, the more I have of this beer, the more perfect I think it is - strong smoke, sure, but it has a balance that surpasses all other schlunkerla beers - this stuff is nearly perfect - I never get tired of it, not matter how often I drink it] I can’t believe I’ve never rated this stuff - oh well, better late than never - beautiful ruby hue, with minimal head, but lasting lace - powerful aroma of beechwood and hickory smoke (so natural you’d swear you were around a campfire), with background caramel and munich malt sweetness, and some subtle fruity notes - smooth, creamy mouthfeel, with medium carbonation - the smokiness in the flavor is exactly as the aroma makes you expect it will taste - very natural and earthy - mild hop bitterness through the middle - medium-bodied, with light fruitiness and a caramel sweetness that balances perfectly with the hops, smoked malt, and woody notes - with this many ratings, there’s nothing new that can be said - it’s just a wonderful beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BEEJE26 (38) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 13, 2007
A truly unique beer. Has a wonderful smokey aroma, texture and taste. It goes down bitter, but has a wonderful aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Embrouille (2843) - SWITZERLAND - JUN 12, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2010 Bottled 50cl. A beautiful dark ruby beer. The nose is smoky, this is the least I can say! Wonderful aroma, I really love this smoky nose! This beer has some elements of tar in the nose too.. Flavors: Wow! The taste just blew me away! (to much to discribe...) This beer is wonderful! Slightly salty and extremly drinkable. I have just drunk a outstanding beer! I just hope this smoked has a long finish, and sure enough it has! By the way, I really enjoy a good single malt (especially those with a strong peaty, smoky character).. Does this smoked beer have anything in common? Sure, this beer is very different to a peaty single malt, but I think you can compare the smoky character. I really love the smokiness, (whether in whisky or in beer...) this beer proves it! I found a new outstanding beer! I’ m going to buy a lot of these beers as quick as possible! This Schlenkerla was really a wonderful experience! If you loved this beer, I would recommend you to taste some single malts. If you haven’t yet, you should really consider tasting some (especially those from the Island of Islay) ...(for example the Lagavulin 16 years or the Laphroaig 10 years, which are excellent single malt expressions with a strong peatiness). Forget all the drivel, this is absolutely fantastic. I am staying with the initial rating.