overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2331   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Zinnamon (40) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2006
My first impression was that it smelled like a roast. I was close but it wasn’t until my friend mentioned the word Bacon, that I realized the true essence of this beverage. It poured to a little head and a deep copper color. The aroma was good, interesting, thought-provoking and rancid all in one. The beer was unexpectedly smooth on the palate but I felt like I was drinking striaght cholesterol and fat. I kept looking at the glass to see if a layer of fat was going to form. it did not. an interesting drink to try but I will never drink this again. A true hate it or love it.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
bgburdman9 (861) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2006
Reddish brown with a light brown head. WTF is that? is there old ham in the fridge? I had heard this smelled like ham or bacon but I didnt think it would be so prominent. This was pig straight from the smokehouse. Dont get me wrong I will enjoy my smoked meats when I want to, but drinking my smoked meats is a different thing. I was expecting to find a layer of fat in this beer. Other than the shock factor of this beer, it tasted a lot better than it smelled and was very smooth in the mouth. This was good to try, but next time I better be eating a meal when I have one. This was not my style, but I can see why so many people enjoy it.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
can8ianben (1415) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 23, 2006
Interesting. It’s unlike anything I’ve had before. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I would choose to have it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 22, 2006
Dark red/brown pour with light brown head. Aroma is smoked meat, malt and something else, slightly sweet. It has a rich malt flavor, carbonated tingle, and a sweet malt syrup finish which is all capped off by the light smoke ending.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Stew41 (1808) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - APR 19, 2006
Medium brown, a touch murky. Well formed thin head. Expressive nose of chocolate and classic smoky beech, a touch sweet. Nice bouquet but not totally convincing. Not as good on the palate, again nice smokey touches, some malt sweetness but not much else. A bit simple but it would be unfair to label this a poor beer. Given there is not much of the genre in this country well worth trying.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 18, 2006
Bottle. Pours black with a small off-white head. Aroma of smoked salami. Flavor is smoked salami and slight bitter hops. Good body, not my thing, but good for its style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sunevdj (3500) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - APR 15, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2008 Pours a clear brown with a tanned head. Light sweetness. Strong aromas of tar, leather and salami. Dry, leathery finish. Medium bodied. Reminds me of a classic Swedish mosquito repellant. I´m surpriced I liked it this much. I guess it would be good with fried eggs and bacon.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
EithCubes (5249) - New Jersey, USA - APR 14, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2006 Rating No. 250. First had this on tap in Bamberg in 2004 (when I marvelled at the idea of liquid ham), but this review is for the bottled version. Dark ruby brown pour, full beige head. Intense, intense woody smokiness, big aroma. A little burning in my nose and eyes at first, maybe it’s just the sensory memories of sitting too close to the fire on a chilly night. Could spend a half hour just smelling this. Smoked bacon or ham, also in the taste. Full, thick body. Balanced. Dry finish and a lasting, slightly more subtle smoke aftertaste. Smoke, smoke, smoke; smoke is everywhere, and never did it taste so good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerscout (298) - New Windsor, New York, USA - APR 12, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2010 Bottle. Pours to a rich dark brown, with a small white head. Mild carbonation. Aroma is very smokey, but is heightened with smokey meat scents like bacon and ham, as well as ash. Compared to the Urbock, the Marzen is cleaner to the palate, not as thick, and not as smokey, but still retains wonderful character and body. Smokey and roasted malt flavor is detectable, but the dominent smoke and bacon, and wood-smoke flavors make for a well rounded and enjoyable Rauchbier. I feel the Urbock has a slight edge, but this is a wonderful example for the style. I do not drink Rauchbier often, but Schlenkerla makes a great product and I am pleased that it is widely available.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Norton (329) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 10, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2006 Draft. WOW! Aroma is in every way similar to a smokehouse full of ham! Pretty light orange semi-cloudy color with a decent off-white head. Drinks easily even with probably a higher carbonation than I’d like but I will forgive them! Taste is an essence of smoked whitefish (in my opinion) but definite hops presence is noticeable. The woody BBQ-like flavor never diminshes yet does not overpower. Every bit the conversation piece as well as an enjoyable drink. I’m in love. Re-Rate for BOTTLED sample. Hmmm. Not nearly as delightful as on draft. Less aroma. Obvious metallic taste that I did not get from the draft. Odd.