overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2101   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 1, 2004
A very good brew. Far more palatable than most smoked brews. Retains the lovely malt character all beers have rather than simply being overly smoky. Like a good vienna with a smoked sausge backbone. G-rat

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 28, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2006 Deep amber body with moderate carbonation. Fragrant wood smoke, bready malts, and soft sweet notes beckon you in. Moderately sweet, toasty malts stand up to the smoke, but are mostly consumed by an ominous, wood-fueled wildfire. Medium tangy acidity helps contain the smoke in select patches. Finish is oaky, smooth and free of cloying malts. but leaves you craving more. A sublime beer, especially near room temperature. This beer occupies my thoughts on a day-to-day basis more than any other. Monthly visits are required.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TC2642 (265) - Worcester, Worcestershire, ENGLAND - JUL 27, 2004
A dark brown beer with a smooth oily mouthfeel. Smokey but not overly so, slighty sweet, unusual but very palatable. I would have this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bierchik (95) - lakewood, California, USA - JUL 26, 2004
smoked ham in a bottle, it was different, smooth feeling, had a dark copper body....not bad, worth trying, would probaby drink this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
steview (1018) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 18, 2004
trappist glass: smokey! i liked this over their urbock... okay: dark copper body with ruby highlight. thin white head. very smooth indeed. lighter on the smoke than the urbock, but perhaps it’s my palate today. wood, smokey sweet, and just a little dry. this is excellent. slightly bitter to balance. it’s well together. i’m eating it with some smoky sharp cheddar right now and it’s not too powerful. i need to soak some brats in this baby!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
davidflores99 (225) - Long Beach, California, USA - JUL 13, 2004
Tasted like a smoked ham haha, but very smooth. You can feel the smoke as you’re drinking it, as well as a little sweetness. Nice beer, I recommend trying it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 12, 2004
The smokey nose was the first thing I noticed until I took my first sip. The smoke permiated the beer, and yet it was nicely balanced with a hint of sweetness at the start and a nice hopped bitterness in the end. I thought this was a very good example of a rauchbier. I think I have also found a new beer to make my BBQ sauce with. I enjoyed this beer and will more than likely drink it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Peppe (4) - Hisings Kärra, SWEDEN - JUL 12, 2004 does not count
Tasted from bottle on several occasions in Sweden Amber with "big bubbles head". Special very smokey aroma. The smokeiness is again the main characteristic of the flavour but it is balanced with a rich malty taste with a slight bitterness. Surprisingly easy to drink if you can stand the smoke. No need for smoked ham or sausages, here it is all included.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 3, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2004 Bottle into a Trappist glass. I was duly warned that this was funky, but just like other horrors in life, pre-notification is nothing like the first shock of experience. Now I know that I am disgusted by smoked beers, which was an important lesson I guess, and how I’m consoling myself with this. I had about four sips (three too many, but I wanted to give it a chance), and then it went down the sink. The smell, objectively, wasn’t bad. I like hickory smoke, it reminds me of BBQ and campfires. Since this is attached to the sense of taste, though, the smell was weird and gross. In the glass, it was orange-red and deep ruby, clear with no visible carbonation, some small lacing from the initially sizable frothy head. At this point, it looked and smelled kind of enticing, but I was scared. After the taste, I was justified in my fear.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JLb8 (1) - Birmingham, ENGLAND - JUL 3, 2004 does not count
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier (ges. gesch.) Marzen Brauerei Heller Bamberg (02.07.04) Smouldering oak timbers on a damp May night. Initial split-second shot of flirtatious timidity swiftly leads to plump hocks languishing in a caliginous haze. Insistent brackish aftertaste. Slight malty underbelly. Mesmeric bronze hue with an amber edge. One for a lonely night in with a decent cigar and wistful music. Haunting.