overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2271   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
vanvenlo (1396) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - JAN 16, 2006
22 Nov 05 - Big smokey bacon aroma. Dark brown-red colour, suds lacing and a good head. Big smokey bacon malt flavour. Bitter medium mouthfeel with lingering smokiness. Great smoke beer but not to my taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
temporrari (387) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JAN 11, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2007 Pours a deep amber. Very good sized off white head develops. Aroma is HUGE of woody, smokey cheese and summer sausage. Unlike any brew I’ve ever smelled before. Flavor is not quite as smokey, though it is still very smokey. There is some faint roastiness in there, but then the smokey cheese and sausage takes over. I gotta say, this is one strange beer. Interesting though, and I like it simply because it has shown me something extremely and unexpectedly unique. Good in small amounts, I wouldn’t want another full bottle to myself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Epor (13) - FINLAND - JAN 11, 2006
Bottle. Ultra smoky. Thinnish body, nice finish. Don’t know if I like this or the Urbock version better, but this is a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JAN 9, 2006
Thanks for the prompt hl. This was one of the beers I tasted in Europe lat year and overlooked in my ratings. I had this with the Urbock and so it was a mini smokefest of a tasting. Great deep amber appearance and good firm head. The nose? Well what else? It smells like my barbie when there is a beer can chicken on the go and hickory chips smouldering on the side. Great smoky flavour with little else being able to come through. I reckon this is one of those beers that should sponsor Blokesworld. I think the ladies would love this as much as the show’s pole dancing competition and the customised car section.

highlandlad (1433) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - JAN 9, 2006
I half-suspect that if you shat in a glass, these blokes could add smokemalt, ferment it and come back with something tasty. Damn, they’re good. This one doesn’t quite match the Urbock IMO, but it’s still a superb beer. Teak colour with a fat layer of foam that painted the glass beige on the way down. There’s a depth and intensity to their smokemalt that no other rauchbier (that I’ve sampled) matches. This has a rich aroma of hickory, oak cask, smoky bacon crisps and a meaty Christmas ham note. Doesn’t quite live up to the promise of the aroma. There was a hint of acetone and lemonade in the first sip before the smokemalt took over. Then it developed typical rauch burnt wood flavours, long and dry in the finish. For a rauch, this is ridiculously sessionable. Medium bodied and very rounded. Has anyone here done a tasting of all the Aecht Schlenkerla range side by side? If so, please beermail me - I’d be interested to read the results. (500ml bottle, IBS Perth, bb June 06)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JAN 7, 2006
Very surprised I’ve never rated this. Deep ruby amber, crystal clear. Moderate to strong wood smoked bacon aroma, touch of malt sweetness. Some bitter hops, medium to full-bodied. Woody smoky flavor, malty too, there’s some heft to this. A touch of minerally water in the smokey finish. This is the stuff. I’m likely seriously underrating this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lenrick (11) - SWEDEN - JAN 3, 2006
It has a firm smokiness from its aroma though its palate to its clean, dry, long finish. Its aroma and flavous ara a shock at first but this style marries perfectly with smoket ham or sausages.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TaktikMTL (6290) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 31, 2005
Bouteille de 500 obtenue par le service d’importation privée de l’Institut de la Bière. Arôme: Forte odeur de fumée. Apparence: La couleur est brune opaque avec une moyenne densité de bulle. Présence d’un moyen col mousseux et d’une fine dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de fumée très présent et de noix. La durée de l’arrière goût est moyenne. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture minérale. L’effervescence en bouche est moyenne. Présence de fumée en arrière goût. (Rating #396)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
restless7 (104) - Lenexa, Kansas, USA - DEC 28, 2005
First smoked beer I’ve ever had. It actually does make you think of a campfire and bbq. I wouldn’t classify it as wheat but I’m no expert.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 26, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2005 Nice dark copper color with a big off-white head. Beautiful big smoky aroma which recalls a campfire. Taste is a bit malty, fine but not terribly flavorful Body is a bit thin. A good, drinkable smoke beer.