overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 2170   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Bamberg’s speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - FEB 19, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2007 Holy crap, this is one goooood friggin’ brew. A backyard bbq in a bottle. Liquid smoke in a glass. Oh, Lord, please deliver another to me! This is the second best beer I have ever had, hands down. I must have another! A perfect balance of smoke, hops, malt, smoke, hops, malt, and more smoke make this a MUST TRY!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
rudolf (2341) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 5, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2012 Nose is smoke, brown sugar, rich clean malt. Deep ruby with a light tan head. Flavor is Smoke, honey, rich malt, caramel, light ash, solid but not overwhelming hop bitterness. Lingering smoke in the finish, honey, caramel. Brilliant. Original rating: 7/3/8/3/16 -- 6/5/05 Thanks to Tim for getting me to jump into smoked beers. Tasted @ Smokeless. Nose is smoke, bacon, fish, woody. Deep ruby body, frothy off-white head. Quite (not overpoweringly) smoky, sweet malt, fish, light iodine. A bit of hop & caramel in the finish. The finish of this leaves me wanting more.. More.. MORE!!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - JUL 3, 2006
I love this great smokey flsvor. Feels like I’m eating and drinking at the same time. If you love BBQ smells and flavors this is the guy for you. Used it to cook ribs and they came out great.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BEEJE26 (38) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 13, 2007
A truly unique beer. Has a wonderful smokey aroma, texture and taste. It goes down bitter, but has a wonderful aftertaste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Grzesiek79 (3257) - Radom, POLAND - JAN 22, 2012
coffee, chocolate, herbs, basement aromas, skunky, smoke, woody, brown, sparkling, rocky head, brown foam, light sweetness, very bitter, heavily sour, salty,

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
Brisbane (24) - SWEDEN - DEC 20, 2002
Bam! Blackish with ruddy stains. Overpowering waft of smoke. This is a bastard of beer. Smells like buckling or kippers. A real barbeque beer; an Islay Scotch of beers. This beer has been chared. Dry finish. Other than the overpowering smokiness of this beer there is little merit, because you see how flat and carbonated it is after swallowing. Yet in the mouth it’s full, sugary, oily and worty. A musty beer. Liquid rawhide. Offbeat and peculiarly attractive.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
ALLOVATE (2437) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 9, 2005
This one was an absolute pleasure to drink. So much so I was side-tracked on my first tasting a few weeks ago and ended up reading through the Schlenkerla website rather than focusing on the rating. I have since stock-piled my cellar with bottles of this in the fear it may not be available in Oz for too much longer. Poured into a chalice glass, a thin bubbly, dense pad of beige foam settled atop a clear, deep russet-brown body. Head lasted for the length and left a little legs. Unique and initially overwhelming aroma of cured pork and beef, pickled anchovies, smoky, roasted malt and ash, peppery spices and an unusual hint of dark dried and aged fruits. The aroma set the mood nicely and continued to waft from the glass as I sipped. Lighter than expected body, extremely flavoursome and well rounded, unbelievably smooth and as complex as the aroma. Quite smoky and woody, the light spritzy carbonation bounces the cured meats, roasted grain, bready yeast, zesty dried fruits and husky ash flavours across the palate and manages to invade every orifice of the mouth, before finishing off with a long, dry and mouth watering, burnt grain swallow. The beer seemed to alter its character as I went along, but remained and absolute treat for the senses. Refreshing, explosive, mellowing and unique, all at the same time. This became an instant favourite on my first sip and gets better with every bottle since. A love it or hate it beer, but for me its a winner. Lovely!!! (500mL, Int’l beer shop, W. Leederville)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Embrouille (2829) - SWITZERLAND - JUN 12, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2010 Bottled 50cl. A beautiful dark ruby beer. The nose is smoky, this is the least I can say! Wonderful aroma, I really love this smoky nose! This beer has some elements of tar in the nose too.. Flavors: Wow! The taste just blew me away! (to much to discribe...) This beer is wonderful! Slightly salty and extremly drinkable. I have just drunk a outstanding beer! I just hope this smoked has a long finish, and sure enough it has! By the way, I really enjoy a good single malt (especially those with a strong peaty, smoky character).. Does this smoked beer have anything in common? Sure, this beer is very different to a peaty single malt, but I think you can compare the smoky character. I really love the smokiness, (whether in whisky or in beer...) this beer proves it! I found a new outstanding beer! I’ m going to buy a lot of these beers as quick as possible! This Schlenkerla was really a wonderful experience! If you loved this beer, I would recommend you to taste some single malts. If you haven’t yet, you should really consider tasting some (especially those from the Island of Islay) ...(for example the Lagavulin 16 years or the Laphroaig 10 years, which are excellent single malt expressions with a strong peatiness). Forget all the drivel, this is absolutely fantastic. I am staying with the initial rating.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
notalush (4910) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2008 I f you had told me two years ago that I would be raising my score for this beer to a near perfect score, I would have laughed in your face - but I’ve been drinking this beer at least once a week for months, and it just keeps getting better - if that isn’t reason enough for such a great score, I don’t know what is[man, the more I have of this beer, the more perfect I think it is - strong smoke, sure, but it has a balance that surpasses all other schlunkerla beers - this stuff is nearly perfect - I never get tired of it, not matter how often I drink it] I can’t believe I’ve never rated this stuff - oh well, better late than never - beautiful ruby hue, with minimal head, but lasting lace - powerful aroma of beechwood and hickory smoke (so natural you’d swear you were around a campfire), with background caramel and munich malt sweetness, and some subtle fruity notes - smooth, creamy mouthfeel, with medium carbonation - the smokiness in the flavor is exactly as the aroma makes you expect it will taste - very natural and earthy - mild hop bitterness through the middle - medium-bodied, with light fruitiness and a caramel sweetness that balances perfectly with the hops, smoked malt, and woody notes - with this many ratings, there’s nothing new that can be said - it’s just a wonderful beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ShaneyMac (7) - Unna, GERMANY - FEB 25, 2008 does not count
Ein Juwel unter den Bieren: Unverwechselbar und charackter voll! Viel Rauch und leckere malzige Untertöne lassen dieses Märzen herausragen aus einem Meer von Gold-Bieren! Just figure it out!