overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 1353   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
(First tapping every first Thursday of October) A smoked bock beer for Bamberg’s strong beer season (October through December). Matured for months in ancient rock-cellars underneath Bamberg and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask. Similar to, but much bigger than the classic Maerzen style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - MAR 21, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2005 (on bottle) Either you dig or you don´t; I do. Darkbrown/black, with a pale withe head. Lghtly sharp smoked nose, witch becomes milder through the pour. "Schwartzbier"-taste and the caractaristic sent of open fire remains with a watery mouth in the finish.Like sucking on your shirt after a day in the woods with the barbieq and kids.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ChristianSA (368) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 20, 2005
Bottle. Dark brown/red with tan puffy head with medium retention. The aroma is, as expected, powerful smoked with some sweet malt coming through. The first sip of this beer is overpowering with burned sugar and bacon, but as you drink it it becomes more malty and balanced. Mouth feel is syrupy and fulfilling. As subtle as a fork in the eye, but a lot more pleasing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Deep copper in color with a large off-white head. Aroma is of smoke,meat,wood, one hell of a barbecue. Smoked malt flavor from start to finish,wondeful. Great on it’s own with food, or if you can afford it, a great marinate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
carlitos99 (184) - The Big Apple, USA - MAR 16, 2005
Smells like Chicken, I mean, Turkey. Dark brown color with slight carbonation and minimal head. This thing reallly taste like smoked turkey neck beer. Beyond the smoke and turkey, I taste a hint of carmel, nuts, and maybe toast, all be it burnt toast.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - FEB 28, 2005
oh, god. I AM NOT A FAN OF THIS STYLE> I COULD NOT FINISH THIS> smelled like a soagy pile of shes. Tasted worse thenthat. Sorry, I do not like it. This is a very strong version of the smoke style. Not even after 5 very hot spice nuclear wings can I get the taste out of my mouth and nose. If you are not a fan of smoke beers, lease, stay away. Sorry.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - FEB 20, 2005
500ml bottle, at least in my stash for a year, no date found on bottle. I tried to help it head, but I got very little from it...dark chocolate color. Instant smell of char, smoke hits me as I pour the beer. Smoke of a fragrant sort...malt stands behind it. THis doesn’t scream campfire, but so much more....layered with all kinds of subtle nuances...char, ashtray, ham, hickory spice, fruit, roasting beans, chocolate...Luscious aroma. Beer comes through smooth & light in the mouth. Finish is fairly clean with remembrances of a smoke filled maltings. This is one of the smokier of the smoked beers I’ve had recently. But it still has a good beer standing behind that smoke. I lthink this would make a wonderful winter drink, in front of a fire...I find some subtle minty character in there too...This is juicy, robust, and scrumptous...Awesome beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - FEB 18, 2005
My first smoked beer. This is an amazing dark brown with a nice long lasting head. The aroma and the flavor are totally taken over by the smoke. This not my favorite style, but a nice thing to try and an interesting beer to add to my list.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hunsell (400) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - FEB 14, 2005
Like ’rookworst’. Or any meatthing that has been smoked. Smoke all over in the aroma. Beautiful dark brown beer with a nice head that remains. Sweet caramel taste, quickly developing into a smokey aftertaste. Not totally my thing, but this must be a good interpretation of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 12, 2005
Wow! Liquid smoked turkey jerky! Impressive flavor combo, melding malts and hops into the smokiness quite effectively. Wow. Couldn’t drink a whole bottle by myself, but luckily my favorite woman and a friend were to hand to help out. An interesting and delicious treat. Unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - FEB 6, 2005
Dark brown with a small though lasting tan head. Salami, bacon, kippers and coffee. Sweet bacon and choc flavour, so insanely balanced and tasty. Medium bodied. Bloody brilliant.