overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 1545   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
(First tapping every first Thursday of October) A smoked bock beer for Bamberg’s strong beer season (October through December). Matured for months in ancient rock-cellars underneath Bamberg and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask. Similar to, but much bigger than the classic Maerzen style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - SEP 8, 2006
Pours a deep dark brown with a nice off white head. The aroma is of smoke and oak. Nice rich smokey flavor with a pleasent balance with the hops. Slight lingering of the smoked taste after the swallow.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
sunevdj (3820) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - SEP 5, 2006
Pours a very dark brown with an off-white head. Lots of smoke and oak. Am I lost in the old London dockyards? Or did I rub Sweedish mosquito repellant (you know it if you know it) on my tongue? Light to medium bodied. LOTS OF SMOKE!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Not my favorite style by a long shot, but this is one of the better I have had. Very spicy and smoky. This begs to be drank with a big plate of kielbasa.

3fourths (8982) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 24, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2011 oak barrel @ schlenkerla in bamberg as well as millions of bottles. Dark burgundy and brown colored body with a small film of a tan head. Spicy flavor, full of spicy yeast up front, and if can you believe this, there’s not a lot of smoke up front on the first sip... that changes soon. The meaty salami flavor shows up very strong, and the palate is mostly crisp and spicy, which is really nice. The smoked meat and smoked cheese flavors are divine... reminds me of elk camp, and really this is a beer I have to bring to elk camp again this year. The nose is more of the same meaty salami scent, but it’s crazy delicious. Up front there’s a ton of huge biscuity malts, then it turns to a smooth long-lasting smoked ham and salami flavor into the finish. edit: november 2011 oak barrel at schlenkerla, um, what happened guys? dull, rough, even fizzy? nooo!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2006
1 pt. .09 oz bottle: Chestnut brown w/ a lasting light beige head. Very smokey in the aroma. Like smoked salmon. Lightly woody in the smoked aroma. I can also pick out a very light toasty malt, but smoke dominates every aroma aspect of this beer. The flavor on the other hand is a different story. Lighlty raisiny dark fruit and toasty malt flavors, well balanced throughout, and a bit of a smokey aftertaste. Not nearly as smokey as I remember this beer to be. Light sweetness up front, but balanced well toward the end of the dry and lingering smokey finish and aftertaste. Lighter medium carbonation with a fuller medium body. Wow! I remember this as being a lot more smoke dominant in the flavor to the point of being un drinkable, but as I taste it again, I rather like it! I think this would be a wonderful addition to a pot of chili, or sitting around a camp fire grilling bratwursts!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Stefano (1941) - Thisted, DENMARK - AUG 17, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2009 Brown with no head. Aroma is smoked fish. Very smoked mouthfeel. Lots of smoke and bitter on the back end. All one sided-smoke. Very nice smoked indeed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - AUG 14, 2006
From a 1 pt. 9 oz. stubby euro brown bottle with no bottled/freshness date. Poured a slightly hazy ruby brown with a foamy beige head that settled into a thin lacing, minimal amount of sticking. Aromas of smoked pork and cheese, toasted grain, charcoal and wood. Moderate carbonation and a smooth, slickly textured medium bodied mouthfeel. A nice smokey taste, smoked age ham, a light charred wood flavor, toasted grain, the spicy alcohol provides a nice warmth in the palate, a malt breadiness starts to come out towards the end along with a caramelized maltiness, gives the taste a some sweetness and a smoky caramel malty finish, a really pleasant, tasting rauchbier drinkability. Had this tonight with grilled chicken and vegetables, a good tasty compliment.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
IMtheOptimator (1164) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - AUG 13, 2006
Poured a dark violet/ruby with a large fluffy off-white head. Aroma of grapes, molasses, and smoked pork akin to bacon or kielbasa. The flavor starts with the sweet vinous flavor of the bock but is quickly joined by an equally potent taste of smokiness that has touches of bacon and wood in it. Finishes slightly dry with a bit more of the sweetness than the smoke. I can taste that this is a well-made beer, but I admit I’m still not sold on a beer where smoke flavor takes center stage. I like beer with smoked pork, but not in the same glass. I’d love to try this beer without the smoke (I know to some that would be heresy), because the bock flavor here is really nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DCJack (185) - Alabama, USA - AUG 11, 2006
really excellent in a way that I have never experienced in another beer. truly exceptional Some of the "smoked" beers I’ve tried reminded me of licking ashtrays. I’ve licked enough ashtrays in my life and I’m trying to put that part of my past behind me. But this beer is like tongue kissing Nicole Kidman after she’s smoked a joint. Nobody can possibly beat that metaphor. I rest my case.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 8, 2006
Bottle sampled with Beerded_one. Pours bronze with a decent sized off-white head. Aroma of smoke and smoked meats. The flavor is smoky, carbonated, smooth, and unique. Great brew.