Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 1477   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
(First tapping every first Thursday of October) A smoked bock beer for Bamberg’s strong beer season (October through December). Matured for months in ancient rock-cellars underneath Bamberg and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask. Similar to, but much bigger than the classic Maerzen style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MesandSim (7118) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 10, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2007 A Mes rate: Tap at Battersea Beer Fest. What a KILLER! Its a big one is this. My first beer of the festival and nothing really lived up to it from then on over the 2 days I went. Lovely red brown body, fantastic head. Aroma and flavour wise its a tough one to rate. Hard really to pick anything out really other than the smoked wood. Slightly nutty I suppose with some caramel too but it is all dominated by that amazing smoked flavour. Chunky, fairly complex and just YUM. Like I say its tough to rate but no doubt a great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
harrisoni (15649) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - FEB 10, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2008 On tap at Battersea Beer Festival 2006. Deep red/brown with thin white head. Malty and smokey beer. Really quite nice. Smokey, but not overly meaty. Well rounded, sweetish malt balances the smoke. Thanks to Duff and Chris for bearing with me whilst I had this, not that Duff was complaining too much....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 10, 2006
Pours a rich brownish red with thin fizzy light tan head. Nose is thick with smoked malts, smells pretty much the same as the marzen. Flavor is a bit different, smokey and dry with a crisp and slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blankboy (6667) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 9, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow & tupalev -- courtesy of tupalev. Rated right after the Weizen. Pours a clear brown with a spare fizzy off-white head. Aroma of smoke, malt and, well nothing else really, quite simple but nice. The flavour is less smoky then the Weizen and much less then the Marzen but it’s quite tasty. Along with the smoke there’s sweet malt, nuts and a mild bitterness. The alcohol is noticeable but not too bad. Medium bodied. Pretty good, probably my favourite of the three Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HogTownHarry (6322) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 9, 2006
Bottle (500ml). Shared with blankboy, GregClow and tupalev - tupalev’s bottle. Poured clear dark reddish-mahogany with a small off-white head. Aroma of woodsmoke, hickory smoked bacon, sweet roast malt, hints of dry hops, herbal spices and lemon juice. Flavour of campfire and hardwood ash but *very* bitter (mostly hops, I guess), with nutty roast malt - and lemon zest on the long smoky finish. Mouthfeel is very lively, with an average body - quite complex and balanced, moreso than their Weizen, and I found I enjoyed it more than the hyper-aggressive Marzen, although the Marzen is "better." Really nice! (pre-emptively: you’re WRONG, jerc)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 9, 2006
My bottle, shared with Hogtown Harry, GregClow, and Blankboy. Had this back to back with the Weizen. Smoke aroma balanced with sweet malt - certainly the mildest smoke of the 3 beers I’ve had by these guys, but that works here. Thin brown pour, very little head, looks bang on for the style, if not a little thin. Decent smoke and sweet taste - the smoke compliments the sweetness, staying in the background, which is remarkable for these guys. Very nutty finish. A little thin at times, and even some hops in the finish. Tasty beer, I liked it better than the Weizen (it just seemed to come together better) but not as much as the Marzen.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerscout (298) - New Windsor, New York, USA - FEB 5, 2006
Bottle - given by a friend. Pours a clear, dark brown color, with a creamy off-white head, which is slow to dissipate. Aroma is of smoked bacon and ham, and very slight scent of wood ash (oak). Very smooth texture and clings to my mouth. Smoked flavor resembles more of a smoked wood in my mouth, rather than to my nose. Very mild carbonation and not harsh at all, and somewhat sweet. Flavor lingers after swallowing. I would not say its creamy, but its close. Slight detection of hops at the end, however the smokiness is very dominant, but not overpowering. Leaves ring and lace, but these vanish quickly. Simply smooth, silky, and amazingly drinkable... a relaxing drink. I enjoyed it, and my friend’s recommendation was spot on. Great beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
CapFlu (4860) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 31, 2006
(Bottle) Thanks to Lubiere for obtaining this for me. Pours a medium, cramy, white head with a cola-coloured body. Nose of Schlenkerla bacon bits. Mmm... smokey and thin? A little surprising that its not more oily and less fizzy? The finish is short - which suits me fine. An average smoked beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lubiere (11382) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 28, 2006
Dark amber bock with a thin off white head. Smoked bacon aroma, with wood chips, and pleasnt BBQ phenol. A sweet malt with smoked herring quality, and good hops with nice lingering bitterness. Medium bodied. Excellent with the Kasseler ham (Danke schoen Henning). Bieropholie private import.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 27, 2006
While sitting here looking at my empty bottle, I now realize precisely how good beer can be. I mean I’ve had some great brews, but this one is not only possibly perfect, it’s different and that goes a long, long way. I’m not sure how to put into words how good this brew really is, so I will simply say it’s probably one of the best brews I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy. I will leave the detailed book review to other reviewers, but I will say this...the rich smokey aroma, the deep smokey taste, a nice hoppy finish...the only way they could improve on this beer would be if they included a super model with every purchase and she served it out of her bellybutton. Simply outstanding. ’Nuff said."