overall
Brewed by Brauerei Heller
Style: Smoked
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 1376   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
(First tapping every first Thursday of October) A smoked bock beer for Bamberg’s strong beer season (October through December). Matured for months in ancient rock-cellars underneath Bamberg and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask. Similar to, but much bigger than the classic Maerzen style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TAR (2499) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - FEB 28, 2002
This scores a near ’perfect,’ due to the fact that this is such a difficult style to master. This is balance perfection. Pours with no head, yet the aroma of smoked pork hits you immediately after popping; very murky and an interesting bronze color. Body is oh so soft and silky with a superb underlying bock presence. A nice sourness comes through after the bombardment of chocolate and fruitiness. This is so much better second time around and gets better with every sip.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 13, 2002
just wretched. the taste reminded me of the time in cubscouts when i dropped a hotdog in the fire then ate it - A greasy-charred taste that did not go away for a day and a half. Now, i am willing to experiment and try every beer that i can get my hands on, this is the only one of about 350 that I really don’t want to try again. Sorry, this one is not for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - FEB 7, 2002
I love this stuff more than anything when I am having BBQ or smoked salmon. The urbock is not as good as the marzen IMO but it is still quite decent.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JAN 27, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2004 I love Rauchbier so my review is a bit colored. Schlenkerla Urbock is an outstanding example of the style. There is no point in me telling you that the beer is smoky, as you should already know this, or have read the other reviews. But it is also well balanced, the smoke is prominent but not overwhelming. I could actually use more smoke! You can tell that this would be a good beer without the smoke. It's not as if they just dumped in some Liquid Smoke. I don't drink Rauchbier as a curiosity, I drink it for the whole picture, which is a good beer brewed in a different style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
omhper (19446) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JAN 21, 2002
Big beer! Lots of malt, smoke and alcohol. Lingering sausage like smokey flavour. This beer is not exactly allabout balance, it’s about new taste experiances.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indra (2621) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JAN 14, 2002
Nice lighter brown color, with a slight head. Aroma is, of course, smoky, with a touch of malt sweetness. Flavor profile follows the aroma very closely, as well, with a touch of sweetness mingling with the smoked darker malt flavors. Finish is very long, and as someone else pointed out, rather ’wet’. Very smooth all the way through, and the smokiness kind of fades in the aftertaste just before a bit of hoppiness and some nice malt flavors shine through. I am again suprised at how much I like rauchbier, although I am sure to keep my exposure to it at a minimum (familiarity possibly breeding negative things; I have a similar attitude about Pink Floyd).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - JAN 14, 2002
Like drinking smoked bacon, but in a good way. Nice copper to brown color, with a hickory smoked, camp fire aroma and taste. Complemented perfectly by a nicely marinated filet mignon, grilled to perfection in my backyard.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ToddR (3) - USA - JAN 2, 2002 does not count
Tastes like liquid smoke. I can’t say this is a bad beer because that would not be fair. I just have never been able to take the flavor of liquid smoke & that is what this tasted like. It churned my stomach!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
HammerHead99 (12) - California, USA - DEC 19, 2001
I just got this recently and had a taste to see what all the hubbub was about. And I can say that all the hubbub was right on! A nice new style of beer that I could continue to savor. Very special category of unique, classic beer. It was love at first sip.

biobier99 (23) - Neumarkt, GERMANY - DEC 19, 2001
I know that small brewery, it´s from Bamberg, I´ve been there. I was surprised that youcan get this beer in the US.