overall

RATINGS: 882   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A reddish-brown abbey ale brewed with dark malts. The secondary fermentation gives a fruity aroma and a unique spicy character with a distinctive aftertaste. Secondary fermentation in the bottle. (Serving temperature: 8-10ºC)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bullit (3971) - Burgos, SPAIN - MAR 8, 2014
Bottle from local liquor store. Dark amber - light brownish colour, off-white head. Nose is caramel malts, yeast, nutty, bit of brown sugar. Flavour malty, caramel, nuts, yeasty, a bit bready, some dried fruits. Medium carbonation. Finish is slightly sweet and dry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beerhunter111 (6881) - Hasborn, GERMANY - MAR 6, 2014
Ins Glas ergießt sich ein trübes rötlichbraunes Bier mit schöner Schaumkrone. Geruch nach getrockneten Früchten, Hefe, Karamell. Geschmack hefig, Karamell, Früchte, leicht gewürzig.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
maley1 (733) - calgary, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 4, 2014
Hazy reddish brown pour with small cream colored head. Aroma of dried fruit, yeast, plums, caramel and bread. Taste of yeast, bready, caramel, underripe plums, slightly spicy. Medium bodied and medium carbonation, very nice dubbel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alstdublieft (2) - - FEB 27, 2014 does not count
Wonderful colour, very creamy. Aroma: coffee, liquorice and caramel. Taste: caramel and a bit of cinnamon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lonick (781) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 26, 2014
Bottle @ The Brauhaus, Edinburgh. Pours amber, banana on the nose also fruity and spicy, some bubblegum as well. Big fruit on the palate with some cloves as well, solid Belgium dubbel

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2517) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - FEB 24, 2014
Its been awhile since I’ve had a dubbel, and even longer since I rated a new one. I also went to mass this past weekend for the first time in over 2 years. I’ve been drifting away from enjoying Belgian beers, phenols have been my downfall. But dubbels on the other hand emphasize esters and malt and I’m happy to find that I enjoyed this beer. I don’t think it has anything to do with going to mass, but I’m going to write the rest of this review in Latin. That’s what I’d say if I knew Latin. But this light brown colored beer produced a small tan foamy head. It also smelled sweet like candy. A little brown sugar and molasses. And now I just spilled a little bit on my wife’s laptop, and my god it was just a drip but now its everywhere, it got on the track pad and I couldn’t even get it to work but I mopped it up with my Wii t-shirt. That’s better. Well it smelled sweet but there’s a hint of fruitiness, like molasses that fermented a little. But then that’s what this is, sugar and malt that fermented. So in short, it smells just like what it is. Except that wasn’t short, it was long. It also tastes like what it is, except that it also tastes like fruits that aren’t there, like probably persimmon, or even banana. If you use your imagination you could probably imagine almost any kind of fruit your heart desires. Except for blueberries, cuz fuck blueberries. I think what sticks out is what we called paw-paw back in Indiana. At first this has a bit of carbonic bite and acidity which detracted but as I took my time through the bottle it mellowed nicely as the fizz evaporated and the beer warmed. The bottle finished mildly sweet, mildly alcoholic, tasting of classic dubbel with dark fruits, dark malts, soft body. OK so it was distinctly potable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JesseMartineau (73) - Alberta, CANADA - FEB 22, 2014
330ml bottle pours dark hazy Amber, almost Brown, thick tan head reduces down to thin. Aromas of Brown sugar, toffee, quite sweet. First taste is Brown sugar, sweeter fruits. Then it actually gets a little spicy which lingers nicely into a slightly dry finish. Very nice! I Had to come back and say that after air and temperature increase, this changes into something completely different ! Much darker fruit aromas and taste, I would say plum. Great beer !

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Headbanger (3231) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - FEB 19, 2014
750 ml bottle (Old Notes)-Pours a hazy reddish brown with a small tan head. Aroma of dried fruit, yeast, caramel, and malt. Taste of the same with a bit more sweetness coming in. This full bodied brew is well balanced and quite tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nilsas (1223) - Bryne, NORWAY - FEB 9, 2014
Frisk duft av frukter og krydder. Fin brun farge. Dekkend hinne av gulbrunt skum. Frisk smak av frukter, boblende.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
allmyvinyl (2892) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 9, 2014
330ml bottle shared with jeevan. Hazy reddish brown pour, large off-white head. Banana estery nose, some plum. Taste is yeasty and sweet. Light spice. Clean finish. Nice dubbel.