overall

RATINGS: 1098   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Our flagship beer is based on a turn-of-the-century recipe that quenched the thirst of miners during the Klondike Gold Rush. Smooth and richly malty, this altbier goes well with any meal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - APR 27, 2003
Mahogany in color. Little head, malty nose. Light hops and slightly tart. Mild esters in the finish. Smooth, nothing spectacular.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 1, 2003
Sweet mild pine aroma.Amber bronze appearance.Sweet fruity peach,apple,banana flavors with medium hops at the finish.Like the winter it was a little too sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jjw2000 (72) - USA - MAR 28, 2003
UPDATED: APR 22, 2003 Fairly sweet malt flavor with a fitting medium body. Very smooth. Copper color is pleasant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MicroRob (42) - Kelowna, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 12, 2003
Rather sweet. I find it goes well with Seafood. I had a pint for breakfast while waiting for an early flight in Portland OR. Was nice. Pleasant sweetness on the tongue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2003
The white head lasted for a long time atop the copper body. That head allowed the aromas of light chocolate and a hint of floral hops to seep out. the flavor was munich malt first and foremost followed by slight chocolate notes, some esters and good balancing bitterness. the medium-light body went down smooth and made me sit back and enjoyed the harmonious balance of this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 1, 2003
Nice malty alt. Wonderful dark amber color. Sweet toffee malt kept lively by the somewhat prickly carbonation. I thought it was going to veer into overly sweet territory, but a nice dry hoppyness kept it in check and provided only enought balance - I wouldn't want this any hoppier for the style. (thanks jsquire)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
supermikeyb (43) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 23, 2003
The beer I'm always asked about. I finally had a pint out in CA. I have to agree with the majority of the people I've talked to...it is very good. A nice malty sweet nose, good rich mouthfeel. I am very impressed. Reminds me of a Full Sail Amber

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerbumble (42) - Reno, Nevada, USA - FEB 21, 2003
Great color, with good amount and color of head. Smells great. Nice smooth amber taste. Great beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Oristo (67) - Orinda, California, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Significant disappointment. It was very light in the nose and the finish. It's look was better than it's bite (or lack thereof). Very light hops, very light finish, sweet and uneventful. Probably the last six-pack of the stuff I buy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - FEB 8, 2003
Certainly enjoyable, but rather plain. For being billed as a mega-malty beer, this didn't meet expectations. It certainly went well with Thai food, although I don't think I'd seek it out. One thing I noticed is that each time, after tasting it and swallowing it, it developed this crescendo of, for lack of better words, an acidic burn that was somewhat citric in nature. Weird.