overall

RATINGS: 1138   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Our flagship beer is based on a turn-of-the-century recipe that quenched the thirst of miners during the Klondike Gold Rush. Smooth and richly malty, this altbier goes well with any meal.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 21, 2002
This tastes just like the golden pale, but with a bit more of a smoked finish. The aftertaste of this one as well as the pale, was horrible. I was expecting much more. I will have to try the stout before I put this brewery out of my sights.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 18, 2002
Light copper color. Nicely balanced aroma of malt and fruity hops. Nicely hopped, bitterness carries into the palate. Just a touch of malty sweetness. Nice brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAY 27, 2002
Probably my favorite beer. Definately the one I missed when I was outside of the great northwest. Wonderfully malty, comlex. Get flavors, of caramel, toffee, roasted malts, nuts, rich, nice sweetness, with just a hint of hops to finish off. Outstanding beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
jbak (111) - Torrington, Connecticut, USA - MAY 5, 2002
A little too sweet for my liking, though not an awful beer. Nice big head, good color just not a flavor I love, too sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
HH (165) - Everett, Washington, USA - APR 15, 2002
Has everything going for it ’cept MY taste buds. I thought it finished way too sweet. Was barely able to choke down the whole bottle. IMO the Pale is a far better brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 13, 2002
A real beauty. Has a great coloring, and a pretty good head. Goes down smooth, and is pretty sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
strictlydomed (34) - Vancouver, Washington, USA - APR 13, 2002
Excellent beer really liked it the first time I had it. It has a sweetness to it that is really pleasing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - APR 9, 2002
Sits great on the palate. Looks nice and has a good boquet. A very decent all-around beer with no real outstanding qualities, but no really terrible qualities either. Pretty linear in character and a bit sweet but not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAR 30, 2002
Light carbonation with a quickly receding head. Nice crispness from the alt yeast, and pretty clean tasting, but I get some pear and sour apple as well. Solid, but hop presence is average, as is the beer as a whole.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fabric8r99 (7) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - MAR 21, 2002 does not count
Excellent pre-dinner beer, if on tap because the bottled version is nothing like the draft. Wonderful aftertaste that I cannot describe. Usually ask at a restaurant if they have it on tap, if not, we usually don’t return. (it’s that much of a great pre-dinner beer for me). I have found different batches taste different. Alaskan needs to pay attention to their consistency (or maybe that is their plan ?) If you find it on tap before dinner, Enjoy!