RATINGS: 1163   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The name of this beer style comes from the German word “alt” meaning “old”. This refers to the aging that alts undergo since they ferment more slowly and at colder temperatures than most ales. Slow fermentation helps condition the flavors in Alaskan Amber, contributing to its overall balance and smoothness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrewDad (5120) - Olympia, Washington, USA - AUG 27, 2005
A great summer drinking beer. I really liked the flavor and for a super hot day this was a great beer. The flavor and balance was great. I would drink another.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - AUG 18, 2005
Dark copper color with a decent head. The aromas were mild but fresh malts medium roasted and light sprucy hops. The taste was decent, with a fair blend of hops and malts, not very bitter for my preference and less dry than I prefer. But from what I undertand of the style, it is supposed to be more balanced and have the hops more subdued. So, rating by the style, then I guess it is pretty good rendition.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
celogan (202) - Oroville, California, USA - AUG 18, 2005
Pourd dark amber. No head, No lacing. The initial aroma reminds me of bubble gum. Carbonationw as just Okay, but not great. Flavor was malty with fruity overtones. An Okay breew, but nothing to run out and get, though it’s decent enough to drink again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bikesandbeers (547) - san diego, California, USA - AUG 17, 2005
Beautiful reddish color with a slight head. Floral/critusy aroma. Sweet, smooth and just a little bit watery going down. One of my favorite beers to looka t and not bad to drink either.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 16, 2005
Bottle. Reddish copper color with a thin white head. Aroma is sweet, fruity and caramel. Wheat and nutty flavors and definitiely sweet. A little bit of bitterness. Thin and carbonated. Wheatlike aftertaste, almost like an oat cereal taste. Not one of my favorite syles, but this is drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mrnutsnbolts (204) - Berkeley, - AUG 16, 2005
Bottle. Reddish color with a white head. Smells of malt, orange. Tastes sweet, malty, nutty, and robust. I don’t taste much in the way of hops, but it’s a pleasant beer. Reminds me somewhat of Newcastle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jasonp (1557) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - AUG 13, 2005
On tap from a food/beer vendor at Portland’s Saturday Market. Not really amber, more like a cloudy golden/copper with a white head. Aroma of grain, citrus and some floral hops. Flavor has notes of caramel, grain, hops and zesty lemon/citrus. Nice sweetness with some bitter hops at the end. Medium bodied with a smooth texture and lively carbontion. Average. I wouldn’t consider this an altbier.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rainbeer (2) - USA - AUG 11, 2005 does not count
Very nice pour, reddish brown and clear. Tried several batches and head varies. Taste covers the entire tongue with carmely nuttiness that is sweet and smooth. Finishes clean with a hint of hoppiness for the sinuses. I would drink this every day as it is likeable for most guests and tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 22, 2005
Herbal, slightly sweet aroma. Poured a fine copper with no head. Overall mouth was very biting, with rather unpleasant hops and a lame-o malty finish (thumbs down for malty finishes. ew). I’m pretty surprised this little beer has as high a rating as it does, I didn’t enjoy it much at all. And we all know mine is the only opinion that should count.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pinkzambia (1720) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 18, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2005 Bottle: This is one of my everyday favorites. Although the picture shows it with a nice head, mine was missing. Lots of carbonation which made it crisp and refreshing. It is a medium copper color and clear. It has a mild wheat flavor which is what first caused me to like beer. Typically, I prefer a little bitterness and even though this isn’t too bitter, I still enjoy it very much.