overall

RATINGS: 1187   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The name of this beer style comes from the German word “alt” meaning “old”. This refers to the aging that alts undergo since they ferment more slowly and at colder temperatures than most ales. Slow fermentation helps condition the flavors in Alaskan Amber, contributing to its overall balance and smoothness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jasonp (1573) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - AUG 13, 2005
On tap from a food/beer vendor at Portland’s Saturday Market. Not really amber, more like a cloudy golden/copper with a white head. Aroma of grain, citrus and some floral hops. Flavor has notes of caramel, grain, hops and zesty lemon/citrus. Nice sweetness with some bitter hops at the end. Medium bodied with a smooth texture and lively carbontion. Average. I wouldn’t consider this an altbier.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rainbeer (2) - USA - AUG 11, 2005 does not count
Very nice pour, reddish brown and clear. Tried several batches and head varies. Taste covers the entire tongue with carmely nuttiness that is sweet and smooth. Finishes clean with a hint of hoppiness for the sinuses. I would drink this every day as it is likeable for most guests and tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
puzzl (3258) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 22, 2005
Herbal, slightly sweet aroma. Poured a fine copper with no head. Overall mouth was very biting, with rather unpleasant hops and a lame-o malty finish (thumbs down for malty finishes. ew). I’m pretty surprised this little beer has as high a rating as it does, I didn’t enjoy it much at all. And we all know mine is the only opinion that should count.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pinkzambia (1803) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 18, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2005 Bottle: This is one of my everyday favorites. Although the picture shows it with a nice head, mine was missing. Lots of carbonation which made it crisp and refreshing. It is a medium copper color and clear. It has a mild wheat flavor which is what first caused me to like beer. Typically, I prefer a little bitterness and even though this isn’t too bitter, I still enjoy it very much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mreeves (276) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - JUL 15, 2005
Very caramelly, malty aroma and flavor. Hops are a bit hard to detect, which isn’t exactly my favorite aspect of this beer, which makes the fact that I like it even more surprising. A very drinkable, smooth, beer. Nothing spectacular, but something I can drink and be happy with.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LJBrewing (22) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 7, 2005
A nice carmal malt nose. Good deep rich amber color. For my taste a little more bitterness would be nice to offset the residual sweetness of the malt. A decent "Amber" beer. I wouldn’t say no to a free round or three.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
spnkyoumuch (24) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 28, 2005
As amber ales go, this one is pretty tasty and well done. It’s a bit too sweet for someone preferring IPAs or APAs though. I too would reach for SNPA, but this beer would be a close second.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Okra23 (28) - Flowood, Mississippi, USA - JUN 25, 2005
I am a fan of Amber beers and this one is a good one. Very similar to the Abita Amber i think. Had quite a few of these on my cruise ship.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
IslandHaole (1228) - Mililani, Hawaii, USA - JUN 25, 2005
Knocked back a few of these at the sports bar of the Seattle airport waiting for a connecting flight. Orangey Amber with a beige head. Fruity, caramel, decent feel. A bit sweet but really easy to quaff. Pity I was at the airport or else I’d have had several. But with SNPA on tap, this will have to wait till next time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 From a 12-oz. bottle, pours a medium reddish amber with a full head that only gradually subsides. Good lacing. Aroma of malt & some fruitiness. Initial full malt taste with a followup of moderate spicy hops. Exceedingly smooth, rich palate. A definite winner. I had to travel to Anchorage, AK to try this; no local retailers carry it.