RATINGS: 1643   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year and, unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle, much like fine wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 2, 2006
Bottled at Stockholm Beer Festival. dark brown with a small brown head. Salt, tar, liicorice and well-roasted coffee in the aroma. Smoke, tar and coffee in the robust flavour. Well-balanced aftertaste of smoke, salmiak, caramel and black coffee. Nice one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rlgk (14691) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 2, 2006
(Stockholm Beer Festival 2006) Black with a brown head. Tar and licorice aroma, coffee and cocoa notes. Tar and cocoa flavor, smoky notes without getting too overwhelming. Vinous, sour notes and with a clear bitter finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
ph0tik (92) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 1, 2006
This beer was pretty gross. It’s like drinking a smoked salmon. Never going to try another smoked beer after this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pilsnerrogge (2657) - Finspång, SWEDEN - OCT 1, 2006
[Bottle] Black with an ok head. Malty aroma with some smoke. Surpisingly light bodied. Well balanced flavour of smoke and burnt wood.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
wrxkaboom (17) - juneau, Alaska, USA - SEP 18, 2006
Dominated by a smokey aroma which carries over into a smokey dominated taste. A great beer to drink on a cold day. Also leaves a distinctive taste in recipes that call for beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
OldMrCrow (2198) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 18, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2015 2005 bottle sampled Sept 2006. Pours a deep black with a rich brown head. The aroma is dominated, unsurprisingly, by an enjoyable smokiness but the flavor is well-balanced. The smoke is still up front, but not as aggressively so as some of the german smoked beers; we also get a warm maple-syrup sweetness and ample notes of strong dark coffee. Very nice. 7/4/7/4/5

12/2009 Tap at Fiddlers. Beautiful balance, totally restrained smoke that is there in the flavor profile but far in from in your face. Beautiful. 7/4/8/4/15=3.8

1996 bottle (!!!) sampled at Fiddlers 5/13/15. Alaska brought this one by for a Seattle Beer Week event. Neon purple label. I’m a bit surprised to realize it, but at 19 years of age, this might be the oldest beer I’ve had to date. Not a lot of body left to this; the smokiness has intensified. Quite tasty in its own special way and pretty impressive both that it has held up at all, and that Alaska was brewing a beer like this back in 1996 when the rest of us thought we were craft beer connoisseurs as we drank Sierra Nevada Pale, Sam Smith’s, Sam Adams, and Pete’s Wicked Ale (remember that crap?). I’m not to going to try to put a numeric rating down here, but quite a treat to be able to try this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - SEP 10, 2006
Bottle from 2005 batch. Good clean porter w/ smokey flavors that are milder than most smoked beers. A good beer, but I would like a larger malt bill and therefore more alcohol.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - SEP 2, 2006
750 ml. bomber courtesy of one of my best friends who made a special effort to bring this back from Alaska for me - thanks, John!!! Ever since I first had Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier at the Gasthaus Schlenkerla in Bamberg in 1993, I’ve been a fan of smoked beer. This offering from Alaskan Brewing does not disappoint. A dense brown-black pour supports a durable tan head. Smokey aroma is very obvious, but there’s much going on underneath that with some molasses and spice. Rich and smooth, with light fine carbonation. Smoke comes through up front in the flavor, but again there is a lot more to savor. Sweet, burnt caramel. dark roasted grain,all easing into a bitterness that is in part grainy, but also citrusy and astringent. A nicely dry bitter finish that really lasts. This is a keeper, complex and rewarding.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Absolutely amazing! 2005 version in a bomber. Served in my pint glass staring at 50 degrees. Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark midnight black (completely opaque) with a 1-2 figure chocolaty brown head. Mediocre lacing and decent minimal carbonation. Smell: Wow! It’s a combination of my humidor, a campfire and some mesquite smoking chips. A bit of charcoal and some underling burnt caramel malts. Taste: I have never tasted anything like this before. I loved it! It had a distinct smoke flavor font, middle and end. I had this beer beside and after some homemade Baked beans (thanks juzy for the recipe) and B&J Brown bread. What a heavenly treat!!! As soon as I put the kids to bed I am going outside for a cigar just to finish off a great evening. The taste (along with the fantastic smoke flavor) has a very definitive dark roasted chocolate malt character and a sweet dark fruit flavor like mild currants and prunes. There is a bit of a bacony quality as well. The woody earthy attribute is fantastic and this tasty beer is incredibly easy to drink. Each sip begs for another. It is great for thinking about and even better for drinking. It is magnificently balanced with sweetness and also the evident hops, all lying under the campfire smoke. Mouthfeel: A nice strong malt backbone lends way to a splendid creaminess and a slight hint of bitter tingles from time to time, immediately washed down by more smooth creamy full-bodied beer. Drinkability: This is so incredibly easy to drink it is nearly mind blowing! This beer is definitely something special. I often put a cork back in the 22 oz bomber, saving the second half for the next day. This beer I corked but before I knew it I was re-filling my pint glass. I wish Alaskan Smoked Porter were available in my area. It would certainly be a regular in my house. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - AUG 28, 2006
I am always skeptical about opening a smoked beer, because I will freely admit that it is not my taste at all, and I also would never be trading to get any of these, BUT - this one is really good. Porter, so its a good style to start with, then you add a little hint of smoke to it, and it makes it rather interesting. Rich, full bodied, roasted chocolate and smoked malts make this one a very unique beer. Unlike the other smoked beers where I have either poured them out, or choked them down, this one I did neither with. Pleasing to drink, smooth, rich, and pretty good. The smokiness is not offensive at all on this beer. Went pretty good with some smoked sausage. Dont know if I would seek it out again, but I certainly wouldnt turn down another bottle of it.