RATINGS: 603   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
Winter comes early in Alaska, so we release Alaskan Winter Ale in October. The tender new growth of spruce trees has been used for brewing in Alaska since the late 1700s when explorers sailed the coast of Alaska looking for the Northwest Passage. Alaskan Brewing revives this tradition, adding spruce tips to its Alaskan Winter Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - SEP 8, 2005
Hmm.... I really wanted to like this beer. (From a bottle, the 2005 brew, just out...) First, the aroma is that sour malt that I don’t favor, the pour is amber with a cloudy/fizzy body and a big head....it lost a point for the cloud. The taste is fairly sweet and that sour malt thing. Perhaps that is the style but, I don’t care for it. Bread, carmel, roasted corn. Finishes weirdly, I can’t place it strong yet , in different parts of the mouth than I am used too...Damn I really want to like this beer more than I do....BTW, no spruce, I like spruce, where’s the spruce.... Just got done reading some other posts (I usually don’t like to bias my post) but saw someone nail the aftertaste ---peanut skins...exactly...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Quillaraymi (89) - USA - SEP 8, 2005
Very nice appereance, good after taste, the spruce is on the air, I like it a lot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerbill (3576) - Laurel, New York, USA - MAY 23, 2005
12 oz. bottle. Pours copper colored with a pale head. Aroma is spice and yes, the spruce does come through. Slightly bitter with a very slight alcohol bite. A nice variation to the common winter ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 17, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2007 Recipe claims that it is made with spruce tips which made me axcited. Alas, there is no detectable spruce/juniper flavor. Instead all we have is a fairly boring ale with little character. Disappointing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - MAY 16, 2005
(bottle) A nice copper color with a decent head. Starts out a little bitter but has a sweet finish and aftertaste. Works out to be very well-balanced. Another winner from Juneau.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fuzzywasabeer (35) - boise, Idaho, USA - APR 27, 2005
12oz bottle, off white 2" head, sweet malt faint nose, spruce tips sauteed in butter with sugar to taste, well balanced, minty cooling on the finish but not dry, good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dwyerpg (4917) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - APR 19, 2005
It’s almost summer here in Vegas, which makes drinking this beer seem completely inappropriate. That said, this is a nice treat. Had it a little warm, but this beer is perhaps the poster child for what you’d think of when it comes to winter ales. Glad to note that were not any actual spruce tips in my beer - that would’ve been unfortunate.

Macanudo (14) - USA - APR 3, 2005
Spicey and bitter. This one is truly a seasonal. They add spruce tips to the recipe and you can tell. Nice color and is drinkable right after the pour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
presario (4901) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 14, 2005
Light delicate aroma. Amber and clear, no head. Hops, dark malt middle. Clean for a winter seasonal. Sweetish harsh spruce finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - FEB 26, 2005
You can definitely taste the spruce tips in this brew. Dark golden nearly amber. The head has a very slight tan to it. This made me think of black liquorice. It doesn’t have much for a nose. I’ve had many better tasting beers than this.