overall

RATINGS: 1187   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
An American Double IPA, packed with over 120 IBU!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Staffan47 (883) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - JUN 29, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2014 Så dom tycker att man ska dricka direkt ur burken. Hmm. Jästparticklar som far runt i glaset. Kanske därför... Men god är den. Burk ca 3-4 v. Pigg tallkotte och terpentin i doften. Bra balans. Jämfört med gårdagens Pliny så når den här inte upp till riktigt samma nivå. Beska i harmoni med sötman. (Thnaks Biggsbowler)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
maverick32 (24) - Virginia, USA - JUN 27, 2013
Can shared graciously at Andy’s corner Bar. An excellent beer with an outstanding balance if hops and malt.

EricTeusink (703) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 25, 2013
Got these in a trade from FooFaa. I’m very appreciative. Going to save one of these for the finish line of the Peachtree Road Race. Pours a hazy orange gold pear color. Smell is all pine. Nice bitter front end. Great beer, my only complaint is that the finish could be just a touch sweeter. Can - Trade from FooFaa

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DuffMan (7139) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 25, 2013
Can, shared generously by Ferris (I just found my notes on this on my iPhone!). Golden colour, heavy, frothy peristent head. Resinous piney hop profile, lots of oily hops in here to be certain, with not-too-sweet malts in support. Really excellent to be sure, but I’ve had fresh Stone, and Ballast Point and Port Brewing products on tap that were jut as good or better. Obviously freshness is a key factor here, so I will definitely revisit this beer if ever the opportunity presents itself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bobinlondon (1257) - Harrow, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 25, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2013 Can at home via Dusseldorf! Many thanks to Rian (Thirstybird) and his wife Lara who brought it over for me. Slightly hazy gold with a lively white head. Huge hoppy nose of pungent tropical fruit and pine. Smooth, natural carbonation. Perfectly integrated bitter/sweet flavour with sweet juicey malts and citrus fruity hoppiness. By far the best canned beer I’ve ever sampled. Superb!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Berard (356) - Salem, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 24, 2013
Great complex double ipa that isn't boozy like many double ipas can be. Even better on draft. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BrianBeerGod (12) - Niagara Falls, New York, USA - JUN 24, 2013
Okay, so this is my second Heady experience. My first one was during a bottle share with a good friend of mine, and what followed felt magical. I couldn’t believe the flavors I was tasting, and feeling, and comprehending. Now, 8 months or so later, I got my hands on a second can (thanks to the same friend), and just cracked it this morning. I finally ventured to pour a small amount into a glass (completely against the very big and bold instructions on the can to “DRINK FROM THE CAN”) But, I just had to see what it looked, felt, and tasted like out of a snifter. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I’m glad that it tells you over and over on the can to drink from it, because it was really pale in color, with a light IPA flavor to it. NOTHING like the powerhouse I had remembered… Thankfully I had just poured 2-3 ounces. So, now that I was following instructions and drinking from the can, my second taste of this amazing elixir was just as memorable as the first. It is an incredibly resin-y beer with just absolutely incredible hop flavor. The resins coat your tongue BUT beg for more at the same time. The flavors dance on your palate for just long enough that you need more. This beer, at 8% is crushable, but also begs to be sipped, savored, and enjoyed. They tell you to drink it fresh because they’re always making more… but an 8 hour drive isn’t in the cards all the time. The Alchemist, you brilliant, brilliant brewers. You sell over 90% of your product from your own brewery…. And I know that you know you’ve made one of America’s best beers. And I know that you are proud of it… and you should be. This gem is to be savored, enjoyed and drank straight from the can. Do it, don’t even consider pouring this into a glass… just drink it from the can. Lick your lips, say “ahhh” and beg your friends to get in their cars and go buy more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tjthresh (1866) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - JUN 24, 2013
Hazy orange with some white head. Kind of a muddled aroma of orange apricot pine and booze. Plenty of bitterness, but no other real stand out characteristics. A bit on the heavy side. Good, but there are many I’d rather have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
andyhwcinc (1537) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2013
Enjoyed from a friend who got this from his boss, happy to try this! Appearance bright cloudy gold with rich frothy white head. Aroma I'm not getting much, probably since I have a cold. Taste is fantastic, orange peel, grassy, light lemon, but aggressively hopped with a great bitterness. Extremely drinkable as the can says. This is definitely great, not sure if there's one thing that defines how it's great, just everything coming together.

mikedevilsfan (203) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 20, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 11, 2014 Amazing. Weed smell. Resiny pine, grapefruit combo is intense but balanced. One of the best DIPAS ever made. (if not the best)